If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 50: Wheels' World - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
For Q&A Quest's fiftieth episode we decided to do what we do best: go on long tangents. We also discuss the future of portable gaming.

Party on listeners

Episode 50: Wheels' World - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited July 20
    It's amazing how much pacing changes a game. For instance, I am replaying ff12 for maybe the forth time, so I have a good feel for what the game has always been. But with this new fast forward button, all of the sudden many things feel different. Not just the combat and dungeons, but also how quickly you get the next story sequence. My question is, does hardware limitation not allow a fast forward button on most game? But mainly, pacing is a game element that sometimes doesn't get the attention it deserves, and it can totally change the feel of a game. What are some games with good and bad pacing. Any thoughts on pacing that you have? Did snes RPGs benifit from a fast pace?
    Why are certain games like dragon quest always developed outside of house, by some other development team?

Also, I know a lot of outside graphics development has been used lately by a lot of companies. Is this a more recent trend, or have studios commonly outsourced their graphic work in the past?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    People often want sequels to games, especially good ones that are standalone or haven't had a new entry in years. Can you think of any games that you love but would be happy if it never received a sequel?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Is there a lack of color is games these days? Or do you feel RPGs and others have steadily gotten out of the brown and grey trend of last gen?
    edited July 23
    Concerning the switch and the nes/snes minis, do you feel there is real articfical shortages of these systems? What is to be gained by limiting the sales of something vs having more sold? Is it wanting something more if you can't have it?
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I will not believe the 3DS is dying/dead until I see one physically buried in a coffin with roses on top. (One TV show actually did this with an original Xbox).

Nintendo is definitely going for colorful games on the Switch. Look at the covers of every last physical switch game - they're bright, often multicolored, and the shiny red spine of the switch game cases is obviously meant to stand out in a stack of games.

I nominate Undertale as an excellent game that really shouldn't have an official sequel (aside from spiritual sequels).

In the realm of video games, what is it that you want most but can't have, and why can't you have it?