If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Blizzard Co-Founders Head for Greener Pastures

AraesAraes MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
Much as the title implies, the three co-founders of Blizzard North have up and left the parent company, taking Bill Roper along with them as well. Vivendi Universal can't be pleased.

Read all about it here

Comments

• StomStom Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    That "press agent" was a Vice President who happened to be the public liason for the company. He's a nice man and the first ever person I interviewed for RPGamer.

Too bad the interview took place over Battle.net, which sucked for interviews, and I only managed to ask him five questions. I had at least two dozen prepared. Bah!
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Hostile takover by Microsft, mark my words, they want WoW. This is a horrible loss, those guys were great guys and really really appreciated taking time to put in on a game and produced quality tittles. The company wont be the same.
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Trust me, they don't want nor do they need WoW. My bud Adam, who incidentally is in charge of all RPGs at Microsoft Games (PC and Xbox) has a tremendous MMORPG coming up with Mythica, which blew several people away at E3. They've also already got the Asheron's Call games, and also have True Fantasy Live Online coming up for Xbox. They don't need WoW.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Yea Microsoft doesnt need it, but they are behind this. This just screams corperate buyout. Not just Blizzard, thats just a small part of it. Viv Entertainment is the bigger picture. Im just upset because Blizzard took thier time making games. Nobody does that anymore with the gaming market so casual.

• The Big BangThe Big Bang Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This just screams corperate buyout. Not just Blizzard, thats just a small part of it. Viv Entertainment is the bigger picture. Im just upset because Blizzard took thier time making games. Nobody does that anymore with the gaming market so casual.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What part of it screams corporate buyout?
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    This news is somewhat distressing, but far from panic inducing for most Blizzard fans. There are a lot of big names at Blizzard who haven't left. The first one that leaps to my mind is Samwise Didier, the extremely talented head artist at Blizzard. I think it's silly to think that Blizzard games are only good because of they have a few talented guys. It's bad to see a few influential guys go, but I'd hardly call this a cause for serious concern as to the quality of future Blizzard titles.
  • Shooter_McGunSmackShooter_McGunSmack Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I think thats retarded why leave the company... I mean you could work on another project on the side. You dont have to leave. It means the blizzard will most likey make poopy games now or their games wont be as good as they were. Unless they get better people. They start going down the hill. Only time will tell what is going to happen to this famed company.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    *raises an eyebrow at the above post* A few people does not a company make. Nor should talented people stay with a company they don't think suits their interests.

Wait and watch.

Dracos
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think thats retarded why leave the company... I mean you could work on another project on the side. You dont have to leave. It means the blizzard will most likey make poopy games now or their games wont be as good as they were. Unless they get better people. They start going down the hill. Only time will tell what is going to happen to this famed company[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So... Either things will stay the way they are, or they'll change. Fascinating powers of insight you have there, my friend... do you have any other wisdom to impart?

(edit)Consarn it...beaten by a minute!

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • MajinMajin Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I would love it if WoW was ported to Xbox. biggrin.gif

IMO WC3 and Diablo 2 should have been.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2003
    Its kind of weird that Bill Roper, the guy I consider to be the defining voice for the units of the Warcraft games (he did the basic human and orc voices for Warcraft 1 and 2 after all), is leaving Blizzard. But after Square Enix, I guess nothing surprises me anymore.
  • someguywhohatesyousomeguywhohatesyou Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I've already seen this news stir up rumors that Diablo 3 is coming... misguided if you ask me.
  • Monkeey311Monkeey311 Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    well i dont think we can count it out...we do know that blizzard north is cooking something..and i am sure we will find out soon about what they are up to. but unti l then i dont think we can rule out Diablo 3.
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Blizzard North wasnt involved with the development of the 'Craft games, so them leaving doesnt impact WoW directly.

Microsoft -would- want WoW. The AC games are flops. Sigil, headed by the old-school EQ creators, has yet to reveal any projects. True Fantasy Online will cater to the PSO crowd, but console MMORPGs still dont have the same userbase overall as PCs. World of Warcraft would be a MASSIVE coup for Microsoft is they bought Blizzard.

A) International appeal. The 'Craft games (Starcraft and WC3 especially) have insane followings on both sides of the Pacific. Most MMORPGs that have come out have had either insane success in their area but flopped in others (Lineage), or they had great success overall but still not as large a userbase as North America (EQ).

B) Blizzard name. Blizzard has a respected name for reason. They put time and care into a product, make sure its close to completely polished, then support it afterwards. People are expecting the same polish and pride in WoW. Just the little details on the Hunter class...being able to tame ANY animal in the world, naming it, and it leveling with your character...goes to show the little "magic" things they put in their games that make them appeal so much.

C) Money. Blizzard makes a ton of money. Nuff said.

What you want to be hoping for is that EA -doesnt- buy Blizzard. EA is the bane of gamers. Its only a matter of time before they kill the Battlefiend 1942 franchise ;/