If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 433: "The Cackle Of A Broken Woman"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 433: "The Cackle Of A Broken Woman"

Chris goes to therapy for his primal EX woes. Anna Marie gets a new mobile addiction. Kelley asserts that Zestiria is NOT the seasoning of the future. And Alice gets everyone to give their personal information to strange Japanese MMOs. She also gets a really cool monitor that I'm super jelly of.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Cackle Of A Broken Woman"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Have you ever played a game that was not in your native language?

To be entered into our contest to win a PC (via Steam) copy of COSMIC STAR HEROINE, leave us feedback by emailing, leaving a voicemail, or posting on the forums and include the line "Paws is the best character in Cosmic Star Heroine!" Yes, we're still doing this.

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited August 3
    I've played three games imported from Japan, Mother 1+2, Mother 3, and Luminous Arc 3. Mother 1 was easy because I had already played the English prototype ROM (never did play Mother 2/EarthBound in Japanese). I used a translation guide for Mother 3. No such guide exists for Luminous Arc 3 (to my knowledge), but the interface is very similar to the previous two games. I finished it, not really following the story. I do like how the characters' personalities came through, even with only portrait expressions, occasional CG stills, and the Japanese voice acting.

As far as fan translations go, I've only played Sailor Moon: Another Story for the Super Famicom. It's kind of generic as far as RPGs go, but as a huge Sailor Moon fan, I loved it. I haven't played any other imports or fan translations for a long while as I barely have any time to play domestically released games. Besides, most of the games from Japan I am interested in are localized anyway.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    My first import was Shining Force III Scenario 2 (followed by Scenario 3). Unlike many of the import I stupidly purchase today, I actually played through both of these and was able to transfer my save files over as well. The game's played so much like the original Shining Force III that I didn't have any problems.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Best way to ingest Kingdom Hearts? Blu-ray chips with salsa.

QOTW: No.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Someone has to want to play cosmic star on pc.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited August 2
    Long ago, I had an experience similar to Chris' observation of an expert Puzzle and Dragons player on YouTube. I saw someone who was REALLY good at Joust play the arcade machine with infinitely higher skill than I could ever imagine.

Watching speedrunners and competitive PVP players on Twitch has taught me that you have to dedicate your entire life to a game to become the best there is at that game, and even then there are no guarantees. But dedicating my entire life to a game is too high a price when I want the time to play many different games (plus World of Warcraft), so I'm content with never being the best at any game.

I have never played a game that is not in my native language (English). I want to be able to read the game text and follow its story, especially if it's an RPG, and I play very few games for which story is irrelevant.

Edit: Oh, fan translations count? I did play a Seiken Densetsu 3 fan translation co-op with a friend (he owned a copy of the Japanese game), and a little of the Mother 3 fan translation. Then I bought Earthbound on the 3DS to appease my conscience. If Mother 3 ever has an official English release I'll be sure to buy that too.
  • RosestormRosestorm Full Members
    I played a fan translation of the original Tales of Phantasia on emulator.
    -A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    QOTW: The most effort I went to was for Valkyria Chronicles 3. When the fan patch came out, I was determined to play that game "legit" so I imported a copy, ripped the UMD, and spent an entire evening trying to get the patch to apply properly. It was worth it because VC3 was one of my favorite games on the PSP; a step up from VC2.

The only game I've played completely in Japanese was Girls und Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! I actually got turned onto this game before watching the anime it's based on because a tank game on the Vita sounded pretty weird and interesting. It turned out to be really good, and the game was easy to follow since the story mirrored that of the anime.

Chris, I've also picked up Sakura Taisen, but I've got the PSP ports of 1&2. I'm hoping the ability to put the PSP to sleep will help with those timed dialog choices that Sakura Taisen always has. One of these days I've got to get around to that
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I imported a couple of Pokémon games back in the days you needed to (and could) do that, but I think my first foreign language game was a 31-in-1 NES cart (clearly a Famicom cart with an adapter) that had some untranslated games on it. http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/31-in-1_Multicart
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I imported a couple of Pokémon games back in the days you needed to (and could) do that, but I think my first foreign language game was a 31-in-1 NES cart (clearly a Famicom cart with an adapter) that had some untranslated games on it. http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/31-in-1_Multicart

Oh wow, we had this as kids, and I'm sure we bought it secondhand from a rental store.