If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 434: "Loot Or Get Off The Pot"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Loot Or Get Off The Pot"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
Have you ever played a game that was not in your native language?

To be entered into our contest to win a PC (via Steam) copy of COSMIC STAR HEROINE, leave us feedback by emailing, leaving a voicemail, or posting on the forums and include the line "Paws is the best character in Cosmic Star Heroine!" Yes, we're still doing this.

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    None of the Mana games are really great except Secret of Mana. No, I already know what someone's going to say and it's not, you're wrong. Secret of Mana is a diamond in an otherwise mediocre series. SD3 doesn't even come close.

QOTW: Phoenix Wright and SMT. Could work with Persona, but actually Raidou Kuzunoha would be great. Tales of Metal Gear. Okay, not actually on that one - I just like the title. Still Metal Gear combined with almost anything could be good. Metal Gear Solid: Pokemon Eater. Horizon Metal Gear. Professor Layton v. Solid Snake. The possibilities are endless. I want more crazy Metal Gear dialogue and I'm not going to get it with Konami being garbage, so bring on the crossovers! Speaking of Konami being garbage Suikoden: The 108 Stars of La Li Lu Le Lo.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    None of the Mana games are really great except Secret of Mana. No, I already know what someone's going to say and it's not, you're wrong. Secret of Mana is a diamond in an otherwise mediocre series.

I like Secret of Mana a lot if you're playing with two friends. There aren't enough three-player RPGs. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Legend of Mana has a lot to recommend it. The characters are charming, the stories are interesting, the crafting/pet/robot systems are intricate and replaying it can open up new plot sequences. I won't deny that only being 2 player (with a clunky way to turn second player on and off) combined with being super short (~30 hours) is a turn off. The Playstation loading and combat don't do it any favors, either. But when I hear friends speak fondly of mana, they're usually talking about Legend of Mana and not the adventures of Boy, Girl, and 7-Up in Secret. I wonder if a modern remaster of Seiken Densetsu 3 would play better than emulating the old version?
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited August 6
    I liked Legend of Mana okay when I played it, but ultimately the poor combat gameplay really brings it down. The small substories are interesting, but there's no compelling overarching story. That's okay, but not as good as SoM.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    My first thought upon hearing the question of the weak was "what can I cross with Splatoon to make it a turn-based strategy RPG?" It would probably be better to wish for a TRPG spin-off anyway.

As for a better answer, we've already had a Zelda musou and a will have a Fire Emblem one soon. How about a Zelda and Fire Emblem crossover? I think that could be pretty neat.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'm with Chris on free-to-play games. They're usually not worth it unless one is either rich, or doesn't care about the game enough to make in-game purchases. And if you don't care that much about the game, then why play it at all rather than any other game? The only free-to-play game that I've genuinely enjoyed was Pokemon Picross.

So, my choice for a crossover game is a Picross RPG. Hey, Puzzle Quest was a hit right? I can dream, can't I?