If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Gust Unveils Atelier Lydie & Soeur

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
The first wraps have been taken off the latest Atelier game. Twins Lydie and Soeur star, exploring a mysterious painting.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• blurpoblurpo United StatesFull Members
    My only wish is that they remove the time constraints, like it was in Atelier Sophie, my favorite Atelier (I've played them all).
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    So book>painting>?? parchment??
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    They probably did, since they've been moving in that direction since Shally. I'd've rathered that Sophie followed the Judie model more closely, though. In-game calendar, no set limit to the game itself, but time limits on non-story job requests (not just hunts).

In the earlier games of the series, there wasn't much of a central plot, and never anything you might think of as a final boss, so the time constraints really were the enemy the player was striving against. It makes sense that as the series moved towards a more story-oriented pattern, that the importance of time limits would be reduced or removed, but it also meant that in Sophie there came a point where the request list got dominated by high-level stuff and wouldn't reset too often because there were no time limits to the jobs. This led to cash-flow problems at a point when the player really needed to spend money.

I'd definitely be in favor of re-introducing time limitations on non-essential job requests, simply because that's one of the ways in which the series traditionally introduced elements of difficulty and risk. Can I make this in time? Do I even have all the ingredients? Panic when I come up short on something! That's all part of how the game was played for much of the series history.