If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Xenogears remake possible?

PsychotronPsychotron MemberFull Members
edited August 12 in Square Enix
I heard from a friend that a Xenogears remake could be possible. Does anyone have any insight on this? I saw some a couple articles on it from google but they're ambiguous. I bet a JRPG with a good reputation would sell well in a market where JRPGs like that have become so rare.

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    A Xenogears remake would be great, but I've heard nothing about one happening yet. It would need a lot of work getting that disc 2 fixed up. I'd be thrilled to have one, though.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited August 13
    1. The past 9 months have almost been a resurgence of the console JRPG compared to the past decade, so I don't think the industry necessarily needs a Xenogears remake of all things to save it.

2. As mentioned, Disc 2 needs more than HD models and voice acting to get it up to snuff. Soraya Saga and hubby are so far removed from SE at this point that I don't know who would even handle a remake.

3. SE will be lucky to get the episodic FFVII remake out the door before the Play Station 5 hits shelves, FFXV is still being tweaked on as we speak, and KHII won't be out until late next year if we are so fortunate. Asset management has not been SE's finest quality, ever. Adding another ambitious nostalgia-bait remake on top of this is unfeasible.
    ClixPsi.png
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    There is an issue of the rights though

The staff that made Xenogears no longers work for SE and they are busy working on Xenoblade Chronicles II
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    That's why if anything happens, it would likely just be an upscale from an outsourced company that didn't make any content changes. I never put it past Square Enix to remaster old classics, but it would be odd to see just a graphical upscale on this one without any other updates.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    The rights are a mess, the code is a mess, and either alone would discourage a remake, let alone both together.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    The likelihood of a revival of the Xenogears franchise with a Triple A HD treatment remake is incredibly remote. For one thing, the game is a niche title at best. If you asked the typical gamer about Xenogears, you'd get a blank look. There is simply no incentive for Square Enix to invest those kind of resources on the game; irrespective of the rights issues.

While it would be wonderful to see a remake of this game, I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Moreover, the reason Final Fantasy VII is getting remade is because, like it or not, it was a massive commercial success and an iconic title. A great deal of RPG fans cut their teeth on that game and the nostalgia value alone is immense.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business