If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Introduction to video game series through mobile games.

EliasDCEliasDC MassachusettsFull Members
edited August 15 in Role Playing Games
Hi all! I'm brand spanking new to RPGamer, having discovered the site through RPGcast. Lately, I have not had a lot of time to play video games. In the last year, I have purchased remasters of both Final Fantasy X and XII because I never got to finish them over a decade ago. Recently, I downloaded Fire Emblem: Heroes. I have never played a FE game before, or any other TRPG for that matter, but I've been desperate to video game time. I have been LOVING it. I know it's a water downed, free to play version of this storied series, but I have always been afraid of jumping into the series because I just assumed it would super difficult to play. But apparently I'm really not bad at the tactical format. I'm thinking about picking up FE Awakening and even FF War of the Lions.

My question is: Are there any games or series that you've been weary of and eventually got into because you played an offshoot of it, or through some other medium? (ie, an anime or manga series)

Comments

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 16
    I like this question, but I'm having a heck of a time thinking of an answer that fits your exact criteria. There have been a few games I've tried out thanks to PS+ like Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex that I had zero interest going into them and ended up loving (I'm still bummed that the Sleeping Dogs sequel got canceled). Maybe the closest thing is what I'm playing right now: Super Robot Wars V. But even that it's more about morbid curiosity about a series that never makes it to the west due to licensing rather than being sucked in by an attachment to the anime properties. I'm going to have to think about this one...
    EliasDC wrote: »
    But apparently I'm really not bad at the tactical format. I'm thinking about picking up FE Awakening and even FF War of the Lions.

FE Awakening may not be the best Fire Emblem game, but it is the best place to start the series. It's very friendly to beginners and it's a solid all-around game. That one got me into Fire Emblem and now there are only two in English left that I haven't played.
    EliasDC wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm brand spanking new to RPGamer, having discovered the site through RPGcast.

Oh, and welcome to the site; everyone is pretty friendly around here.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    Well for me, a lot of times actually I have watched someone playing a game through let's play or twitch and wanted to play it myself. That's probably not what you're looking for, though.

That's how I got into Project DIVA. Rather than Project DIVA, I will recommend you try just any rhythm game if you've never tried one. Who knows, you may like it.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I can think of games that I got into through a spin-off or adaptation. For instance I got into the Pokemon games after watching and becoming a fan of the anime series. I can even think of games I was leery of but got into due to oddball means. I was hesitant about playing Baten Kaitos because I tried playing Lost Kingdoms years before and didn't like it. I found the Player's Guide for super cheap at a Sam Goody that was going out of business and picked it up. Then I thought "I really should get the actual game, too" and I did. Though admittedly, it took me about a year later to actually play it.

I can't think of any games that combine the two, though. :P
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs