If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Valkyria Revolution - Review

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
If there is anything the warfare of the 19th and 20th centuries taught us, it's that small nations with few resources are easily able to sustain long offensives against empires. Valkyria Revolution is determined to make sure everyone understands just how simple it is.
People die and nations are upended.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Told you it was forthcoming :)

A shame. I keep getting tempted to pick it up because I really would like another RPG in that type of setting, but the whole premise sounds rather flimsy and every other bit of actual research leads me to reconsider.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Media Vision still exists? I thought the Wild Arms series ended because they were no more.

I guess it really ended because of low sales.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Since 2010 it's developed stuff for Square Enix (Chaos Rings), Bandai Namco (Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth), and Sega (Shining series, Valkyria - this and 3)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Man I really want a new Wild Arms
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 18
    Honestly it sounds a lot like http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreatorsApathy?from=Main.TheyJustDidntCare
    Maybe they did care and they just didn't have a good writer?
    The boss fight problems must be that, though.

A small nation can win against a large one. Although I'm pretty sure a small nation can't win against a large one when they share a border in real life.
  • GogarGogar New Member Full Members
    It seems like they've never been able to recreate the magic of the first game. It's unfortunate because in some ways that one was the simplest, it focused solely on the core systems of the game and executed them very well.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    For me the shame is we got VC2, which had an awful story and setting and that VC3 got passed over, which took the best from 1 & 2.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I had thought maybe I'd get it if it were cheap, but think I'll pass for sure now.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I have only played the first two games. I vastly prefer the second game, since the game is actually fun. The original game required crazy levels of grinding select old maps in order keep up with the story's difficulty curve. Sure, if you only got As and Bs, then you didn't need to grind, but the game is extremely unforgiving to non-perfect runs. Meanwhile, the second game encourage grinding, but it was done with a bunch of sidequests and missions, keeping a steady flow in the process. There were still problems (like farming class promotion items per character), but I just vastly preferred the sequel and plan to look up a fan translation for 3 since it's built off of 2's gameplay.

Also, I thought the first game's story was also trash, so I did not mind the story and characters of the sequel. Generic WWII movie story is just as generic as anime high school to me. Also, the side characters are WAY better utilized in the sequel; they are just a gaggle of weirdos in the first game with no character arcs outside of the Eddy DLC.

I am sad to hear that the 4th game is best ignored. I may just do so and only seek out 3 for any further incursions into the series.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'm going to play VC3's fan translation and wait on another real Valkyria Chronicles game instead of this spin-off junk...even if the wait is forever.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I will give it a try because we all know I view games differently then many.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactics Ogre, I choose u! Full Members
    This is not a surprise at all - after the initial controversy around the battle system - I had my doubts I would ever play this. This review re-enforces my decision to stay away from this game. Thank you for the review.
    Check out my writing and art by following this link to my work: www.stevenmouland.com