If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 437: "Shulk of Shame"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited August 27 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 437: "Shulk of Shame"

While getting ready for PAX, the crew realizes there's an unyielding torrent of videogames heading their way. Are they all remakes? How many of them are Final Fantasy XV? Why is there a new temptation to come back to World of Warcraft? How many collector's editions will be bought? Tune in and find out on today's RPG Cast.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Shulk of Shame"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week:
What games do you want us to play for September's podcasts?

Support the Show
179811.png

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited August 27
    Chris' List of September Games:
    Everyone's Golf
    Mario + Rabbids
    Monster Hunter Stories
    XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Destiny 2
    Divinity Original Sin 2
    Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
    Cuphead

Anna Marie's List of September Games:
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Mary Skelter
    Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
    Monster Hunter Stories

Kelley's List of September Games:
    Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
    Monster Hunter Stories
    Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
    Summon Night 6: Lost Borders
    Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    Play Secret of Mana. That's what you get for disparaging it. :tongue:
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I plan on watching some Let's Plays before I dive into it myself -- I'm not opposed to revisiting the game (though it holds no particular nostalgia for me), but the art style is not my cup of tea.
  • redrock963redrock963 KansasRPGamer Staff
    if people do vote for Utawarerumono, it'll be a 2-fer, cause I gotta play the first game first. This is not an option, as the 2nd game is a direct sequel and has spoilers.
    redrock963.png
    My Deviant Art Page | 3DS Friend Code: 1005-8614-6875
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Paws wrote: »
    I plan on watching some Let's Plays before I dive into it myself -- I'm not opposed to revisiting the game (though it holds no particular nostalgia for me), but the art style is not my cup of tea.

Yes the new one has a lousy art style. It's a step up from adventures of mana remake, but still has that flat shaderless mobile phone look to it. I'm about to listen to episode now, so hopefully that's discussed.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Ys VIII for everyone!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Ys VIII for everyone!

There's no Ys VIII on Chris' list what's going on??!!?!?!?!?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    Ys VIII!!!!! I will be playing that in September too.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I vote for Ys VIII and Yakuza Kiwami; those both stand out in a very crowded month. Though personally I'll also be playing Everybody's Golf (still don't know why they changed that from Hot Shots Golf) whenever I'm not playing RPGs this month.
    redrock963 wrote: »
    if people do vote for Utawarerumono, it'll be a 2-fer, cause I gotta play the first game first. This is not an option, as the 2nd game is a direct sequel and has spoilers.

Yeah, playing Mask of Deception first is a must; Mask of Truth is a direct sequel and picks up right after the first game. I loved Mask of Deception, but I find it difficult to recommend. It's more of a visual novel than SRPG (there was something like 17 battles in 40 hours) and it has an incredibly slow start, but the characters are fantastic and once the story picks up, it goes to some interesting places. If you have a tolerance for the foibles of Japanese visual novels then it's certainly worth a try. I have to fit that sequel in this month somewhere.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    I'll be playing that regardless and at least September starts the period when the recording time doesn't completely eliminate the possibility of me being there.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    jscarpe wrote: »
    I vote for Ys VIII and Yakuza Kiwami; those both stand out in a very crowded month. Though personally I'll also be playing Everybody's Golf (still don't know why they changed that from Hot Shots Golf) whenever I'm not playing RPGs this month.
    redrock963 wrote: »

Yeah, playing Mask of Deception first is a must; Mask of Truth is a direct sequel and picks up right after the first game. I loved Mask of Deception, but I find it difficult to recommend. It's more of a visual novel than SRPG (there was something like 17 battles in 40 hours) and it has an incredibly slow start, but the characters are fantastic and once the story picks up, it goes to some interesting places. If you have a tolerance for the foibles of Japanese visual novels then it's certainly worth a try. I have to fit that sequel in this month somewhere.

yeah, I heard it was more visual novel. It still looked interesting though.

Seems people want Ys though, which I'm also OK with.
    redrock963.png
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited September 3
    I'll advocate

Mario + Rabbids for Chris
    Monster Hunter Stories for Anna Marie
    Metroid: Samus Returns for Kelley

because I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts on those three games.
    Victar wrote: »
    I'll advocate

Mario + Rabbids for Chris
    Monster Hunter Stories for Anna Marie
    Metroid: Samus Returns for Kelley

because I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts on those three games.

I am looking forward to that Metroid game pretty hard.
    redrock963.png
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I already have yakuza kiwami, but I could easily see myself getting everybody's golf, danganronpa, ys8, NBA2k, divinity, metroid, destiny 2. Of course I would never have time for all of that, so I will have to pick and choose, and get some of discount later down the road.