If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

#SRPGSeptember 2017!

jscarpejscarpe RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited September 1 in Role Playing Games
September is an incredibly crowded month for releases this year, but it's also #SRPGSeptember, the Internet game-along hosted by Anne Lee @ Chic Pixel and since I knew I would be participating, I thought it would be a good idea to create a place on the forums for everyone to share what they are playing this month. This has been an incredible year for SRPGs so there are plenty to choose from: Fire Emblem Echoes, Utawarerumono Mask of Deception (and Mask of Truth in a few days), Disgaea 5 Complete on the Switch, God Wars: Future Past, XCOM 2: War of the Chosen, and the just released Mario + Rabbids. Of course you could dive into that ever growing backlog to knock one of those out: Banner Saga, Valkyria Chronicles, or maybe one of the Final Fantasy Tactics games.

Personally, I'll be playing God Wars, which slipped under the radar earlier this year, but I've been impressed with it so far and I'll be continuing my journey through Super Robot Wars V (I'm sure I'll find some more screenshots from SRW to post on Twitter). If I finish those, maybe I'll have time to move on to Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. If you are going to be playing anything for #SRPGSeptember, share your experience here in the forums or on social media using the hashtag.

Comments

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I've been working through Fire Emblem Fates
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Coincidence that it releases this week rather than actual trying to match up with this but currently playing Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth for review.

Miles away from finishing it but some brief early thoughts (yes, I have copied this verbatim from twitter :) ):
    Definitely picks up where the last left off, plot does move along and is more like the second half of Mask of Deception with a greater focus on military/political aspects. Though of course it still finds the time for some faffing and fanservice. Also had a decent number of battles so far (compared to same point in prev. game), so on the whole very positive as far as I'm concerned.

Finally, should be obvious, but despite the jog-the-memory bits not playing the first game beforehand is rather a waste of time.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I decided to fire up Hyperdevotion Noire in hopes of getting some dumb joke laughs, plus Noire is my favourite. So far, I can see this game playing pretty well, but the story is mostly standard fare for the Neptunia series. I'm enjoying it more as it goes along, but it's still painful to see Arfoire interacting with any of the CPUs because she's a (the) villain is so many games. Danged multi-verse logic.

On top of that, because I haven't been concentrating well lately, I play Fire Emblem Heroes on my phone. I got two of my all time favourite characters recently, Hector and Ike. I got a bow using Lyn too from an event and got 2 axe wielding brave Ikes from the random draw. I need brave Roy, but I've been playing all FtP and not putting any money into it, so getting orbs is going slow. I'd like brave Lucina too, just for funsies. A new event started and gave me a free draw, so I ended up pulling a 5 star Raven with the free summon. Then i go back to the brave banner and get this 5 star sword guy i knew nothing about. wish i could have gotten Roy though. oh well
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Finally experienced my first roadblock in God Wars, a brutal mission where I got overwhelmed by enemies. I think the problem is that I've been mostly mainlining the story, ignoring the sidequests, and not paying enough attention to the job system (I keep playing one mission and putting the game in rest mode and forgetting to fiddle with the job points when I come back to it). Consequentially, most of my characters are using at least 1 starting class, so I'm spending a bit of time grinding up of the mid-game classes so I'll have some better abilities.

Before this roadblock, the game is really good. It's a very technical SRPG; height matters quite a bit even for melee attacks increasing damage and accuracy and attacking from the side and rear does the same. So positioning is essential, but you have to be careful about bunching units together because the AI will hit you with area of effect attacks.

The story is fairly strong and it has good pacing; it's telling an interesting tale without getting bogged down in the details. And, my goodness, the game is gorgeous. I'm used to SRPGs being talking heads and grid based maps with an occasional cut-scene. The art style here really sells the ancient Japanese locale and I love the way they intersperse manga inspired art scenes with fully animated cut-scenes. Also, this game may have the most beautiful world map I've seen in a game; it even has these little details where a volcano will erupt and have smoke and lava coming out of it. The small touches in this game I'm finding very charming. Now I'll find out if it holds up over the second half.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I'm replaying Stella Glow and am aiming for the True ending. It's apparently not hard to get and despite what I initially though, you don't even need New Game+ to see it. I'm still very early in the game, just a little past chapter one.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    So, I've been streaming Fire Emblem Heroes and I intend to stream a bunch more. This game has become one of my favourite time wasters. I have no set schedule, but follow me on twitter (like below) and/or follow me on Twitch to see when I go online. I'll tweet in advance and then again when I start. Anyone else play? It's great to hang out and talk shop while grinding the tempest or leveling characters.

I keep wanting to play Fire Emblem Fates, a real, full fire emblem game, but I just get sucked into Heroes. Still completely F2P, no moneys spent, so I don't have an amazing roster. Besties are Ike, Lyn (brave version), and my top performer and superstar Hector. I was a lot more excited to get him than I should be. I need brave Lucina and Roy, but I'm still gathering orbs. Hard to get them now with all the story stuff done.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 13
    I finished chapter 2 in Mario + Rabbids tonight. As a tactical game, it gets a lot of things right. The merging of Mario mechanics with tactical ones is beyond my expectations. Simply turning a Mario head stomp into a fast way to increase mobility on a map takes Disgaea's slow, annoying pick-up-and-toss mechanic and makes it much more convenient. I know nothing of the Rabbids franchise, but the game is nailing an absurd humor that will appeal to both kids and adults. I have nothing bad to say about it, and it's challenging enough in spots that I've already lost twice.

I have 6 characters right now. I don't use Luigi because his health is too low to rely on him consistently. Thanks to the pixel weapon DLC, new characters get a free weapon upgrade when they first join, encouraging me to try each new character for a bit. At the moment I'm using Mario, Peach, and Rabbid Luigi, though I'm tempted to keep Rabbid Peach in because of how funny she acts in cutscenes.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.