If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Secret of Mana Impression - PAX West

It's been over twenty years since Secret of Mana was originally released. Will Square Enix keep the
magic that made it an instant classic?

[ Impression ]

Comments

• VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited September 10
    Doubtful after all the only new change is 3D graphics + annoying in/out of battle voice acting while the weapon/spell leveling system will still be the same crappy way as the original game IE take 70 to 80+ hours to have all 8 weapons/spells all at level 8 PER party member (around level 55 to 60).

However the SNES american version removed a whopping 40% of the Japanese version content which MAY possible have that 40% added to the american release of this version which may still make the game still take 80 to +100 hours or more to finish this version.
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    Last I checked, you can finish the original version without maxing the levels of all your weapons and spells.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    Last I checked, you can finish the original version without maxing the levels of all your weapons and spells.

I know this is true I never really maxed out spells levels. I also never got an 8/8 axe (all the other weapons I did). All I can think of is I missed a boss somewhere
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    What I'm seeing and hearing is similar to the Adventures of Mana remake we got not too long ago. Since I enjoyed the underlying Secret of Mana more than I did Final Fantasy Adventure, I have no problem with this.
    Also, no, spending a long time in the final area trying to get the random drops necessary for level 8 weapons is never once necessary. I remember trying it once because I was bored, and got a few. It wasn't worth the effort.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited September 11
    You don't but i'll max most weapons to lv 8 or at least the ones that don't need random final dungeon chest drop s while still maxing all spell levels even though the snes game doesn't require it to kill its final boss i still did so anyways.
  • GogarGogar New Member Full Members
    edited September 10
    ArtyParty wrote: »

I know this is true I never really maxed out spells levels. I also never got an 8/8 axe (all the other weapons I did). All I can think of is I missed a boss somewhere

None of the bosses are optional, but there aren't enough bosses to 8/8 all the weapons. 2 of the weapons can only get to 7/8 normally (guessing due to cut content), but the Mana Fortress has rare orb drops for all the weapons except sword so you can use those to get the axe up to everything else's level.

I once put in the effort to get all characters' weapon levels maxed out and it really wasn't worth it. Upgrading the weapons themselves was useful of course, but realistically you're not going to spend all day charging up to level 8 when levels 1-4 usually give you the most bang for your buck.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I never got any chest drops except for Spear which gives you Daedalus at 9/8. I seriously only got orbs from bosses or regular chests.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    VeghEsther wrote: »

However the SNES american version removed a whopping 40% of the Japanese version content which MAY possible have that 40% added to the american release of this version which may still make the game still take 80 to +100 hours or more to finish this version.

Dood, at least get your facts straight. The content wasn't cut for the American release version. I can personally attest that the Japanese SFC version was the exact same game. Content was cut because it was originally intended to be an SNES-CD title (which never happened, obviously), and with the switch to cartridge format the developers lost a lot of memory capacity.

I really am hoping that they include some of that cut content, of course, but it has been almost a quarter-century.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    It would be nice if they filled out some of the sections when you're trying to get to Sage Joch. Those parts largely just seem like run from one temple to the next with little if any story in between.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    Yeah, pretty much the entire game after the first visit to the Empire was pretty sketchy and penciled in.
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    I don't know. I think it gets back in decent form for the last few areas.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    True enough. I'm mainly thinking of the places in-between the mid- and end-points: Tasnica, Mandala, Gold City, the Sea of Stars, and maybe even the island of the Dryad, before the lost continent arises.