If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II-Staff Review

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II - Staff Review

My expectations for the game were quite low, as I bought it two weeks ago to follow up on a review I did last year for the game's horrible predecessor. ?It?s in that respect that I?m very pleased with the game, despite the fact that it is an average title at best (hence the 5).

The wording of a lot of the sections might make it sound like the game deserves a higher score, but it?s more used to illustrate the fact that Infogram...er?Atari actually bothered to clean up just about every little facet of the game for the better.

Let?s hope other developers follow this example. ?Anyways, thoughts/suggestions/comments/flames are welcome as always.

Comments

• Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Hmm. Didn't buy the first one, won't be buying the second one. I'm just not paying $30 for a 15 hour RPG. The review was good... I didn't know this was a US made game. How depressing. I suppose that does say something for anime's growing popularity in the US, though.

edit- Hey, post 200. Nifty.

• Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ July 07 2003,14:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hmm. Didn't buy the first one, won't be buying the second one. I'm just not paying $30 for a 15 hour RPG. The review was good... I didn't know this was a US made game. How depressing. I suppose that does say something for anime's growing popularity in the US, though.

edit- Hey, post 200. Nifty.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, your money is better spent elsewhere. Maybe if someone is really curious, they could rent the title. Maybe the title would be more appealing...if I was 10 tounge.gif
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ July 07 2003,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm just not paying $30 for a 15 hour RPG.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does the length really have anything to do with it? I know that most people want long RPGs, but I believe other things can make up for it if the game is short.
    Some great examples are Breath of Fire V, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Koudelka, etc. All of these are great games, and they can all easily be beaten within 15 Hours.

If the game has an incredible plot, good gameplay, high replay value etc, and is overall a nice experience.. don't you think it might be worth it, even though it'll be over quick?
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited July 2003
    If a game has a high replay value, then you get more than 15 hours worth of fun out of it. Typically I feel I should get 1 hour for every dollar I spent on a game. That's just me. ;>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Does the length really have anything to do with it? I know that most people want long RPGs, but I believe other things can make up for it if the game is short.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know if I agree with the hour-price ratio, but I'll certainly buy a short RPG if it has other things which make up for the length - an interesting plot and/or cast, a unique combat system, et cetera. However, in this case, it's a game which got a low score from a reviewer I trust, is a sequel of a game which also got horrible reviews and is a license for an anime series I don't like. On top of that, I've got more than enough games I need to review as it is, so DBZ II just ain't gonna cut it.
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    I rented the first one and loved it. However it was one of those things I loved because It was so cool playing a non turned based DBZ RPG that I enjoyed seeing the story unfold to me as Goku, it was sort of a fan's bias. I enjoyed the game because i'm a huge DBZ fan. I want to play this one, if the gameplay's improved I'm sure to enjoy it bigtime.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ July 08 2003,10:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't know if I agree with the hour-price ratio, but I'll certainly buy a short RPG if it has other things which make up for the length - an interesting plot and/or cast, a unique combat system, et cetera. However, in this case, it's a game which got a low score from a reviewer I trust, is a sequel of a game which also got horrible reviews and is a license for an anime series I don't like. On top of that, I've got more than enough games I need to review as it is, so DBZ II just ain't gonna cut it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes of course. It just sounded like you stayed away from it because it was short, but that might've been an exaggeration from my side. I wouldn't play this game either, mainly because of the same reasons you had.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ July 07 2003,21:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm just not paying $30 for a 15 hour RPG.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does the length really have anything to do with it? I know that most people want long RPGs, but I believe other things can make up for it if the game is short.
    Some great examples are Breath of Fire V, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Koudelka, etc. All of these are great games, and they can all easily be beaten within 15 Hours.

If the game has an incredible plot, good gameplay, high replay value etc, and is overall a nice experience.. don't you think it might be worth it, even though it'll be over quick?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

All of those four games mentioned are wonderful examples of high replay value (especially in the cases of Vagrant Story and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter). ?Legacy of Goku II did have some replay value, but it was mainly in the form of small sidequests that are pretty meaningless after all the characters max out their levels.

I'll wholeheartedly agree with Mike about the value of the game. ?While it wasn't a horrid waste of money like its predecessor, I would have been much happier buying a title like Wild ARMs 3 (which I think can be bought around the US for the exact same price). ?DBZ fans and kids might get a kick out of this, but even then it's probably safer as a rental title.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Amish_Chief @ July 08 2003,20:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(especially in the cases of Vagrant Story[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Doesn't a game have to have play value before it has replay value?
    edited July 2003
    Ouch, Rico. (Puts on best John Stewart voice) Hmm, someone doesn't like status menus... Seriously, Vagrant Story is one of those games I need to go back and play.

On another note, an anime I'd love to see an RPG for would be Trigun. Losing points for killing people instead of disabling them would be a nice change from the GTA and Halo-style games where murder is more.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ July 08 2003,22:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Doesn't a game have to have play value before it has replay value?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There are some people who have a fetish with that game when it comes to replay. ?However, I think I'll paraphrase something Alex said in regards to it:

"Vagrant Story...you mean that game where I spend hours and hours developing this awesome sword only to find out that it pricks some slime for one damage because I need a blunt weapon?"

It's not exact, but you get the point. ?Trust me, I beat the game once and have no plans on playing it again. ?But those detailed FAQs on weapon creation have to come from somewhere, don't they?