If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 54: BIG HOLE - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, your host is rudely dragged kicking and screaming away from Destiny 2 to record an episode. We also discuss the Ys series.

Episode 54: BIG HOLE - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited September 27
    Why are most video game endings inconclusive and short? I always found it strange an rpg can be 50 hours, and you're given a short 5 minute ending with very little explanation or what happens next. Do you feel rpg ending should give more closure, or are you fine with them not? (There are some expections)

Why do you think Nintendo is reluctant to make a more traditional Mario rpg game, similar to the first one but with modern graphics? Is it only paper and saga series, or nothing else?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yakuza movie! That thing was hilarious. Never played the games, though I did go through the TGS demo of 6. It had a surprisingly accurate version of Fukuoka's Nakasu district in there.

They did show the old Dragon Warrior anime on network TV back in the day... maybe 13 episodes of it, chopped up and rearranged if my memories are accurate. I certainly recall discrepancies when I watched the entire thing on DVD over here.

Sazae-san actually has some interesting parallels to the comic strip Blondie. In the beginning, it was actually a pretty forward-looking, feminist piece about a young married woman and her family situation in the 1950s. Over the decades, the culture of Japan finally outstrapped the comic strip, and Sazae-san became the symbol of a happier, idyllic time in the middle of the Showa era, even as it tried to continue addressing modern social situations. So, to answer the question, it survives on a combination of friendly social commentary and massive nostalgia.

Ben Franklin's Revolutionary Lightning Bolt! His lightning rod strikes the earth, and thence arises George Washington, sitting upon his proud horse. They then go on to vanquish the British: Franklin, Washington, and the horse.
    edited September 28
    What do you think about the statement where Nintendo said it would cease to exist before it went 3rd party? Not that I think it's going to happen, but it's not a stance most companies would take. Is Nintendo identity and uniqueness incompatible with being a 3rd party?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited October 10
    The comment about an Adventure Time musou made me think of a Steven Universe one. :P A musou is not that good of a fit for the show, but it might still be neat to see.

Anyway, a question! In Fire Emblem Echoes, a few of the characters were voiced by American actors who are usually based in Texas rather than California. I thought this might have been a one-off thing for the sake of variety, but as it turns out, some of these same actors have been showing up in more RPGs and other video games. Caitlin Glass, who voices Mathilda in Echoes was also in Tales of Zestiria, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and some Street Fighter games. In one case, the actor Chris Patton (Kliff from FEE) moved from Texas to Los Angeles, but it's not the case for Caitlin and Monica Rial (Mila). Do you know anything about the logistics of getting actors from one part of the country to voice in a different studio? Do you think this will keep happening? We've all joked about the same dozen or so LA actors showing up in every RPG, but in the last five years, they've added a lot of new blood. Perhaps having some veteran anime actors not normally heard in video games is just another step?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited October 11
    Great show as always, but the audio balance was off. One co-host was so quiet I had to turn the volume on my computer all the way up to understand what he was saying... then a musical interlude played, and with the volume up the music was so loud it hurt my ears. Ouch.
    edited October 12
    Do you feel there is any danger in companies not localizing something if they feel customers will find localization sub par. I'm asking in reference to nis America apologizing for ys8 localization.