If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean: The Last Hope Gets Remastered

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
The fourth Star Ocean game, a prequel to the rest of the series, is coming to PlayStation 4 and PC, at least in Japan. Though a western release is not yet confirmed, the PC version will be coming to Steam. 'kay?

[ story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    *shudders* Grats to the people who like this game and want a PC copy.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    Dude...I bought this game used after enjoying Resonance of Fate very much. I returned it 2 days later.
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    I thought 3 was worse.

"Blade...of Fury!"
    "What. Do you think. You're. DOIIIIIIIIIIIIING?"
    "Myyyyyyyyyyyyy MONEYYYYYYYYYYY!"
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    Ugh, waste of resources doing this for the worst game in the series.
  • UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    I must be one of the few that had fun with SO4. I'd played SO2 a half dozen times and never played 1 or 3. Hell, I still haven't gotten around to playing my copy of 5! I thought SO4 was an acceptable prequel but I am NOT a fan of how convoluted the token board got. I got sincerely very tired of having an hour of building up the board be ruined by one schmuck enemy throwing an AoE and hitting one character. Can I just play it like SO2 and roll over the enemies at my discretion?

Anywhoozles, I loved the crazy bonus dungeon and the music was quite good. I'll wait and see what else gets added to this remaster before I purchase.
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    edited October 13
    watcher wrote: »
    blah blah blah
    You know, as a staff member of RPGamer, you could at least show more respect for people that like the game instead of bashing it.

By the way, EarthBound phoqueing sucks. See how that feels?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I also rather enjoy SO4's battle system and character who grew on me after a time.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    um, watcher isn't a staff member

The game's combat was a big strength, and there were certainly other aspects that I liked. Definitely had some story and character issues that prevented me from really liking the game a whole, as well as some areas being way bigger and more of a pain to get across than they needed to be. (I recall not thinking the JP voice acting in the International ver. was great either, so it's not like you could avoid that issue just by switching)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • blurpoblurpo United StatesFull Members

Worst game in the series? I get you may not like it as much as 1, 2 or 3, but SO5 is the worst game by extreme far.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    blurpo wrote: »

Worst game in the series? I get you may not like it as much as 1, 2 or 3, but SO5 is the worst game by extreme far.

Yeah no, that's still 3.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Agreed for me SO3 is the most frustrating due to the whole 0MP = death thing. Unique yes, pain in the Moo, yes
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Moral of the story, where's a nice 2 remake at because it seems to be the least hated
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 13
    blurpo wrote: »

I call bull. SO3 and SO4 are the worst in the series (IMO, so we have that clear), SO5 felt like it was trying to emulate SO1 and SO2.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Strat-wonk. Full Members
    edited October 14
    Good thing too I never made it to the 360 versions last dungeon (I did) but when I had to backtrack to all previous disc 1 and 2 area's for subquests that only unlock once the final dungeon starts the system itself kept on giving me unable to load/read disc messages every time I switched discs.

So instead of actually entering the games last dungeon on the 360 version I sold the game back to gamestop for store credit due to the 100% unable to read disc message due for the 360 version.

The PS3 version is on a single disc so I won't have that problem for that version of the game.

Star ocean 2nd evolution DID have Vita/PS4 version release but it never left japan and those versions are just basically a 100% port of the PSP version.

Yes SO 3 has MP death but on earth/galaxy mode once you have a 5000 defense and full elemental nulling setup nothing will ever cause you to lose a single HP or a single MP per enemy hit.

But late game for SO3 I mostly hated losing HP not MP for all physical combat skills even once you have a high enough defense to lower all enemy damage to zero since at low HP the game won't allow you to use fists of fury etc.

VeghEsther wrote: »
    Good thing too I never made it to the 360 versions last dungeon (I did) but when I had to backtrack to all previous disc 1 and 2 area's for subquests that only unlock once the final dungeon starts the system itself kept on giving me unable to load/read disc messages every time I switched discs.

So instead of actually entering the games last dungeon on the 360 version I sold the game back to gamestop for store credit due to the 100% unable to read disc message due for the 360 version.

The PS3 version is on a single disc so I won't have that problem for that version of the game.

Star ocean 2nd evolution DID have Vita/PS4 version release but it never left japan and those versions are just basically a 100% port of the PSP version.

Yes SO 3 has MP death but on earth/galaxy mode once you have a 5000 defense and full elemental nulling setup nothing will ever cause you to lose a single HP or a single MP per enemy hit.

But late game for SO3 I mostly hated losing HP not MP for all physical combat skills even once you have a high enough defense to lower all enemy damage to zero since at low HP the game won't allow you to use fists of fury etc.

Dude seriously stop bringing up the defense stat thing that only applies after you beat 95% of the game. We already told you numerous times it doesn't mean jack diddly squat at that point in the game since that majority of the game there is no way to get that much defense. Just cause you think invalidates an issue some one has with the game, when most of the game with that particular issue then that issue is far more valid then the other 5% of the game where it's okay. Also the fact that at that point in the game it's post game content and not part of the actual story point.

AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH (goes off to fume loadly)
    sig.gif

• omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 15
    Ah, nothing brings out the rage better than Star Ocean.

SO4 is by far the worst. By far. SO3 was medicore but okay, SO5 was actually surprisingly decent, but then I also went into it expecting a colossal crapfest.

SO1PSP and SO2PSP are both fantastic and we will probably never see their like again. Sad times.

One thing I will say for SO5: it is, by far, the most grounded game in the series and feels like it could, if it werent for all the sciencey magic, be an episode of Star Trek. It doesn't deal with the fate of a planet or the entire universe (*cough* SO3 *cough*), you're just dealing with the fate of a single girl. I actually really liked the smaller stakes. Made it felt more real and meaningful
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Still holding a vacuum-modded arc welder for Blue Sphere to get a proper port for that cell phone remake.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Strat-wonk. Full Members
    edited October 15
    Well PRE 5000+ defense on earth/galaxy mode to take no damage you can still get 3000 to 5000 Attack power in Star Ocean 3 BEFORE disc 1 ends and that's all you need to break the game as long as most if not all possible disc 1 party members have Str that high.

Mid disc 2 you can get 8000 Str which is STILL good enough to pwn everything for no damage runs on earth/galaxy mode so that's still good enough before the uber defense setups for taking no enemy damage is possible.

But for Last hope that's not possible.
  • thatbsdguy2016thatbsdguy2016 Norfolk VAFull Members
    Square Enix announced that the recently revealed Star Ocean: The Last Hope 4K & HD Remaster on PS4 and PC will release in North America and Europe on November 28, the same day as the Japanese release.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/18/star-ocean-last-hope-4k-full-hd-remaster-releases-november-28-west/
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    blah blah blah
    You know, as a staff member of RPGamer, you could at least show more respect for people that like the game instead of bashing it.
    <intentional trolling>

I have not, nor have I ever been a staff member. Nor is rating a game in a series poorly against the other games in said series "bashing it".

I have, however, put more time into the SO series and tri-Ace developed games than probably any other member of the forums, and have historically been one of their strongest proponents on said forums. So don't be surprised if my opinions on the topic seem to have a bit more weight behind them than some salty kid.

You're still new to the forums, so you've only hurt yourself with your post as your intentional trolling reveals your immaturity.