If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Winds of Change

ASVASV MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
Read this week's Points of View update and comment as you see fit.

Edit: Whoopsie! tounge.gif

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    404 error on the link
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    From Otterlands Lunar-review:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In addition, there are no inns in this game, and if you want to heal, you?ll either have to go to a temple far from a town or a special monolith that heals either your HP or MP, all of which are usually a good distance from towns[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That seems like a pain. I didn't know about this at all.. in the Remake, there is a statue in each town, just as there are Inns in all towns in other RPGs.
    Stuff like this may be small details for some people, but I think they play a big role in the flow of gameplay.... luckily, I've only played the remakes of both games.

To give another example, in FFX International (released in Japan and Europe), there was a save point just behind the guy in the Arena in Calm Lands. From what I've heard, there wasn't one in the American version.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ July 08 2003,07:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"To give another example, in FFX International (released in Japan and Europe), there was a save point just behind the guy in the Arena in Calm Lands. From what I've heard, there wasn't one in the American version.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There was one in the North American version, but not in the original Japanese release.
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    From Otterland's Lunar-review:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In addition, there are no inns in this game, and if you want to heal, you?ll either have to go to a temple far from a town or a special monolith that heals either your HP or MP, all of which are usually a good distance from towns[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is actually a bit incorrect. In LL, when you save and load, your HP and MP are refilled. It makes the game increadibly easy.

From Otterland's .hack//Infection review:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I deduct a point simply because I?ve heard there?s a parody mode in the Japanese version with silly voices, but since I haven?t the faintest idea on what that?d be like, I won?t judge this game there. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Okay, I'm not really sure what this means. He'll take a point off, but not judge it? I don't mind if he penalizes the game for not being the same as the Japanese release - even for something as massively unimportant as a parody mode - but what does Otterland mean when he says he won't judge this game there? His reviews are improving, but his sentence structure is still pretty seriously whacked out.

From Ted McAuley's FF6 review:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You won?t find anyone who started their gaming lives with the Play Station 2 or Game Cube running backward in time to play something that ?just doesn?t look that pretty.?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So people who started gaming with the PS2 or GC won't play a game unless it's pretty? That's either a very mangled sentence or a blatant stereotype.

Mr. McAuley's LoZ review was good, but I really don't agree it deserved a 7 in story. Simplicity is one thing, but the game's only got, what, two story sequences?

Off topic a bit here, congrats to both Amish and ASV on their new posts!
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2003
    The parody mode I talk about in the .hack games is only present in the Japanese versions, being replaced in the U.S. version by the ability to change between English and Japanese voices. Evidently, having a parody mode in the English version would mean more than one DVD if it were in addition to the Japanese voices...
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Otterland @ July 08 2003,10:33)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The parody mode I talk about in the .hack games is only present in the Japanese versions, being replaced in the U.S. version by the ability to change between English and Japanese voices. Evidently, having a parody mode in the English version would mean more than one DVD if it were in addition to the Japanese voices...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I knew that, I just didn't get what you were saying. Reading that particular sentence it sounded like you were simultaneously penalizing the game and saying you wouldn't penalize the game.
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2003
    Don't worry, I'll always be happy to clarify myself if one of those sentences strangely shows up in my reviews ;-)
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    You know, having just finished Arc the Lad 1 a couple of days ago, I find amusing that Points of View has a review on it around the same timeframe ^^. I noticed a few slight flaws though with it, though overall it's quite on the mark. There are more sidequests than just that dungeon but for the most part they are so obscure or anal that they tend to be either ungodly tedious to complete or nearly insane to try to do. Overall the game has some of the worst secret design I've ever seen. Without a faq or some other form of aid it's near impossible to even notice the secrets. The people around give virtually no clue or if they do the secrets consist of some thousand or so odd fights to get (A number so huge that even if the fights were revolving and such, they'd still be dull).

Another thing, not really something so much missed as not really mentioned is that Arc the Lad 1 is ungodly preachy. There are lots of scenes with it just harping on how utterly evil everything is. The end nearly had me falling over sick from just how bad it got.

Of course, you are absolutely right on the tactical system. Fast, engaging, addicting. ^^

Dracos
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ July 08 2003,17:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"There was one in the North American version, but not in the original Japanese release.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, so that's it. Thanks for clearing that up... I always wondered. Must've been a pain without that particular save point though.

I'm a bit curious about the Arc the Lad review. It is merely a review of the first game... I always thought I had to review the entire collection, and not just one of them?
    If this is not the case, then woo-hoo, I can finally review one of my favourite games (Arc 2).

The review was good though.. I can't say that I would've given it a higher score myself, as it is merely an introduction to the series, and there sure are a lot of things that could've been better done with the game. Luckily, all of that was improved in Arc 2.

I just couldn't finish Arc 3... no matter how much I try (yes, it really is that bad).

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.