If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Summon Night 6 Receives a New Release Date

jscarpejscarpe RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Summon Night 6 has suffered some delays along the way, but a release date is finally here. RPGamers in North America will be vying with trick-or-treaters to pick it up.

[Story]

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited October 20
    visual novel elements...sixty thousand lines of text...
    I was not aware of this.
    I have mixed feelings about V.N. style games (after Tears 2).
    *EDIT*
    Baker-san and jscarpe:
    Thank you gentlemen for sharing your thoughts and insights.

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    In personal experience, the Summon Night games are more tactical RPG first, storyline second affairs. Unless they've changed the formula significantly for this iteration, then a lot of that text forms parallel, mutually exclusive narrative threads and individual conversation time choices, much of which the player can opt out of.

I can understand the concern though, having played games that thought battles were simply a nice interlude between hours of exposition.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Thank you Gaijin, I basically typed that on my phone before I got cut off and couldn't finish my post. For Summon Night (at least 5, I'm not far into 6) think really chatty SRPG; it's not one of those visual novels that occasionally tosses in a strategy map to break things up (like say Utawarerumono). There can be lots of dialog between story missions, but there are lots of story missions and optional side missions. The VN elements come in through branching paths and the way that character specific endings are flagged based on the characters you spend the most time talking with. SN5 was a 30-40 hour game that was set up in a way where you could play it again, make different choices, talk to different characters, and see quite a bit of new dialog the second time through.

I just wanted to get across that this game is more talkative than say... Fire Emblem. This isn't Tears to Tiara 2, with hours of dialog without gameplay.