If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 55: Super Paper Mario Odyssey Megaforce

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss Mario RPGs, and why Partners in Time is the worst of the bunch. We also discuss the length of RPG endings.

Episode 55: Super Paper Mario Odyssey Megaforce -Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited October 25
    In my opinion a new Mario rpg akin to the first one, would actually be more novel and open to new stuff than doing the paper and saga ones again. That’s part of why I want one, because there are many different things that could be done with a fresh take.
    Do you think there are any big rpg or non rpg series that are on the verge of dying or are on shaky ground? Some series can withstand a few bad titles and keep on, and then others can not. Which are some that can withstand regardless of quality.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited October 25
    no partners in time is actually playable where as the sticker star game and its battle system i find it to be the worst mario rpg game of all time due to that stickers are used up forever upon use.

hence because of that that game is practically unplayable for myself.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    due to that stickers are used up forever upon use.

There are literally stickers to acquire absolutely everywhere in that game so the only way to run out would be through gross incompetence.

sig.gif
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    Boo, I liked Partners in Time.
  • PopoiPopoi New Member... For 6 Years. Full Members
    I always thought Partners in Time was pretty well received, it's been ages since I played it so I don't remember all that much. I do remember disliking the final battle some though. I'd like to play it again and see how it holds up one of these days. Inside Story is definitely my favorite of the Mario & Luigi games, with Thousand Year Door and the original Mario RPG being the overall co-champions. My feelings on which I like more shift so rapidly that there's no way I could rank one above the either. Super Paper Mario might have my favorite cast, I love Count Bleck's group so much, but again it's really hard to say for sure.

As for my least favorite, I'm going to pick the boring option and say Sticker Star. With the addendum that I don't dislike it. It was massively flawed, but it had some fun moments, and it was cool to have Kamek as the defacto main villain in an rpg, and I overall had fun with it, it just needed a whole lot of refinement.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I hated Partners in Time, as I hated the baby characters...and man that final boss was super annoying too.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Popoi wrote: »
    As for my least favorite, I'm going to pick the boring option and say Sticker Star. With the addendum that I don't dislike it. It was massively flawed, but it had some fun moments, and it was cool to have Kamek as the defacto main villain in an rpg, and I overall had fun with it, it just needed a whole lot of refinement.

Yeah as mentioned in the episode we certainly acknowledge Sticker Star has its issues, but man do I admire the attempt and it really isn't too far off from being something truly special.
    sig.gif
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    Well that still doesn't change my opinion that sticker star easily IMHO had the worst battle system in game only bowser's inside story is 2nd worst but in that game its not because of its battles its because of the crappy must win mini games that bowser's inside story had just to fight some of its boss fights.

• Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Wheels wrote: »
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    due to that stickers are used up forever upon use.

There are literally stickers to acquire absolutely everywhere in that game so the only way to run out would be through gross incompetence.

emphasis mine, because that's all you need to say about vegh.
    edited October 25
    There are some games that do certain things before they become popular, but as time goes on, they no long stand out. For instance, the first Lufia game was one of the few games that well written and verbose at the time, with maybe only FF4 on consoles to match. Pc games like gothic had a lot of sim elements that mimicked daily life. Both those features are run of the mill, and without having played them in their exact time of release, a gamer may never know they were unique.

Which games or features that aren’t unique now, but were stand out in your memories most?
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    In-game maps in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past really stood out to me. It baffles me why tons of future RPGs don't implement the features, particularly the Souls series (which I don't care much for, shakes fist at Apps).
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited November 3
    A major reason you won't hear certain actors very often in smaller projects is because they've become union actors. Some of them have this deal I don't fully understand that allows them to work on both union and non-union projects, but not all. This is why you'll probably never hear Crispin Freeman or Kari Wahlgren in a Tales game again and Laura Bailey is becoming increasingly less frequent in non-union RPGs. I'm glad they're getting more exposure and better pay, but I do miss hearing them in the games I like to play.

And because I'm lazy, I'll ask the same question I asked in a different podcast thread: If you got to choose the composers for your dream RPG OST, who would they be? Would you assign certain ones to certain types of track (i.e. one does battle themes, another town themes, etc)? Pick at least two, but no more than four.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

How important do you think creepiness and horror is to the Zelda series? Certain titles more than others, or do you think none are scary?
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I was not a fan of the Partners in Time babies and their crying noises. What I disliked the most was not the brutally hard final boss (the epic music helped make up for how nightmarish that fight was). It was a fight-the-flying-saucers minigame that could and did give a GAME OVER if the player failed.

Overall, I can understand the case for either Partners in Time or Sticker Star as the worst Mario RPG, but both games were still pretty fun.