If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nostalgia and Cloning - The Active Topical Banter Show

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
Scott is supremely suspicious of nostalgia, Mac is losing his voice, Sam and Trent had it easy as kid all come up in on retrospective on retrospection. And also clones, pirates and clone pirates in this episode.

Listen
Archive
Feeds

Talking Points:
-Scott is highly suspicious of nostalgia
-Golden Age Syndrome
-Revisiting older styles and modes
-Is nostalgia a bad thing?
-If it’s not on the top page of twitch it’s old news
-Old as a genre/aesthetic
-Wither crowdfunding
-What makes throwback RPGs distinct
-Cloning stops and becomes a new genre?
-Bad for the new game?

Next Time:
Q&A special. leave Qs here.

Comments

• ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    "Nostalgia is a seductive liar." - George Ball
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited December 7
    Speaking of third games in a series that were never localized, I'll add Luminous 3. I actually have yet to played a pirated version of that game though, I think there is an incomplete English patch out there. I generally only play ROMs of games that never received official English releases, though that was how I initially played EarthBound. I promptly bought it for the Wii U Virtual Console once I was able to.

Going back to Luminous Arc, I'm surprised at myself that I do have nostalgic feelings for the first two games in the series. That wasn't a game I played in my childhood or even as a teenager but as a 20/21-year-old in college. Of course, I'm 30 now, so I am removed enough that I look back on those games fondly, especially Luminous Arc 2. Flawed as they are, there is something I find charming about those games.

A newish series that I love and I think is an excellent throwback RPG is Bravely Default/Second. They purposely evoke NES and Super NES Final Fantasies in feel and gameplay but contain many contemporary traits as well. Heck, Bravely Default began life as a sequel to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, itself a throwback RPG before it became its own, new IP.

And lastly, question for the Q&A special: What composers would you include in your ideal RPG soundtrack? Pick at least two, but no more than four. And yes, I've asked this of other podcasts, but I'm rather unoriginal and I'm genuinely curious.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• Winter9Winter9 NorwayFull Members
    I'm queen of nostalgia for sure. Even more now around Christmas. But considering games I find myself almost mostly nostalgic for the time when I didn't have a backlog of 400 games and rpg's to last me a lifetime if I wanted. And yet I find myself drawn to all these new shiny things. I long a little for only having that one game to sink your hours into and reclaim the experience of searching everywhere and learn everything about it. So my question is : Do you guys think we enjoy games less there days because we have to many? I enjoy a lot of series and I find myself not able to keep up with all of them. Not even close.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    This wasn't spawned from a RPG, but it seems like a fun way to get on the year ender if Mac hasn't already gone sans pantalons for it already.

Has there ever been a move made by a game company that you know should make you angry, but it didn't? (I'm going through this with Capcom announcing a giant Street Fighter compilation a year after they basically dropped a jazzed up version of one game in the compilation for $40.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor