If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 57: Q&A Forces X - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited December 2017 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss RPGs ending with surreal epic battles. This episode is also named Bort.

Episode 57: Q&A Forces X - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited December 2017
    What is the most apparent ‘the game was obviously cut in planned content or unfinished’ that you can think of off the top of your head? Something other than ff14 and 15.
    Do you feel with Mario and Zelda on the switch Nintendo decided to make a lot of the progress broken up into smaller but quicker bites? For instance the shrines and moons are more plentiful but also quicker. Do you feel this was because of the dual handheld nature? I have yet to start Xenoblade 2, so I don’t know if there is any of this design philosophy carried over, but do you think there is more room for this design in rpgs on the switch?
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    Budai wrote: »
    What is the most apparent ‘the game was obviously cut in planned content or unfinished’ that you can think of off the top of your head? Something other than ff14 and 15.

Xenogears. The second disc screams that the development team ran out of money and phoned it in.
    Do you think a cheap non portable Nintendo Switch makes sense?
    Do you feel video games will ever be respected on the level of movies and music? Video game award shows are not seen on the level of the oscars. Do you think this is fair because of the nature of games? Should games be treated as a more serious art form? Are games more juvenile than movies artistically?
    Do you have any special Christmas memories that involve rpgs?
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    OK, I couldn't make it past the 20" point, mainly because of FanboyMaster's mischaracterization of the villain of Wild Arms 2. I should have gone on about this a lot sooner, but my brain got fixated on writing a full paper on the game's treatment of the subject of heroism, and I got sidetracked...

In any case, no, the invasive reality paradigm was not the villain of that game. Instead it was the cosmic horror that caused most of the plot to happen, which would make it more of a diabolical maguffin. The real villain was a man who, when taking notice of the impending doom to his world a decade before, bankrolled an organization designed to either take over the planet or to force the warring nations to actually unite against a threat they could understand, so that they would hopefully be prepared to take on one that they could not.

While all his plans within plans are unfolding, the world of Filgaia is slowly degrading as the invasive entity inserts itself into reality. Monsters are spawned, lands turn to desert, and by the second disc the sky itself has broken. The final step before the takeover is complete is the corruption of an elemental entity that surrounds the very source of life within Filgaia, and when that moment comes, the villain is ready.

See, the villain and his sister are descendents of the world's last great hero, a woman who sacrificed herself to bind a demon (which is now unfortunately locked within the hero of the game, but I digress). All his life, he's had to try and live up to the standards and expectations of his lineage, and when he learned of the impending threat, he was so determined to find a way to stop it that nothing, no price seemed unreasonable.

This is why, when the cosmic horror finally makes its assault on the final redoubt of Filgaia's native laws of nature, he's ready to bind himself and his sister to it, to force it to manifest into a body that can be fought, rather than watch as everyone flailed blindly against an entity whose existence was literally on a different plane. That's the final boss of the game.

The final fight of the game, however, is a one-on-one climax between the hero and his inner demon, in a better-done variation of that Sephiroth-vs.-Cloud fight you mentioned.

Whew, okay. Got all that out. Finally. Time to actually listen to what you guys said past the twenty-minute point.
    edited December 2017
    When I was a teenager, I felt the urge to replay games all the time. A three month gap between any final fantasy game was enough time for it to feel fresh. Now as an older gamer, I need 5 years or so before that same game will feel fresh again. Have you ever felt this same phenomenon when it comes to time and replay ability? Do you replay games and how much time do you need?