If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Learning to Deal with a Side Quest Addiction - Editorial

jscarpejscarpe RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Josh is dealing with a side quest addiction. Can he find a way to stop torturing himself or will his compulsion keep ruining his favorite games?

[Editorial]

Comments

• ReaperEzekialReaperEzekial Full Members
    I can sympathize with your mention of Ys VIII - I had the same thing happen to me with Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. I stopped the narrative to start collecting gear, magic and summons and never really went back to finish the narrative.

Come to think of it, Breath of the Wild did almost the opposite to me. All I have left to do main story-wise is to beat Ganon, but I have zero interest in fighting him. I’ve been having more fun just wandering the world and filling in location names on my map.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Come to think of it, Breath of the Wild did almost the opposite to me. All I have left to do main story-wise is to beat Ganon, but I have zero interest in fighting him. I’ve been having more fun just wandering the world and filling in location names on my map.

Funny you mention the Zelda series, there are a number of those games where I've gotten distracted and never finished. I was right at the end of Twilight Princess and Minish Cap, got caught up collecting hearts and other side stuff before the end, and never finished them. I also faded on Breath of the Wild earlier this year, though I wanted to get back to it a few weeks ago and found out my WiiU is dead. Guess I'll have to fix that (or play it again on Switch) if I want to finish that one :(
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther Full Members
    edited December 8
    In my case it depends on the game if any given game doesn't have quests for skills spells equipment or for optional bosses then i simply won't do any the those games have since the rewards for those aren't really worth it.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited December 8
    Well you were the one that basically got me into Yakuza after some of the persona 5 talk. I can see how that mentality can become troublesome in a game like Yakuza 0 and others, where I feel the side content really is the bulk of the content they want you to experience. Yakuza 0 I ended up spending 70 hours on. Loved every minute, and probably could have spent longer had I thought the same way.

Ff15- those side quest felt like place holders they ended up going with on ship date because there wasn’t enough time. Which doesn’t make sense to me. With that many employees, to just leave side quests in just a sad shape is honestly kind of embarrassing for a company like square.

Xenoblade 1 was a game I absolutely loved, and I skipped almost all the side quests. I’m playing through Xenoblade 2 now, and I’m starting to think doing the same in this one will make for a better experience.

That’s all said from someone who completed every single side quest in Witcher 3
  • ArtyPartyArtyParty IllinoisFull Members
    I had fun doing the sidequests in Horizon Zero Dawn, and feel they somewhat helped me as I progressed towards the end of the main plot.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    I had fun doing the sidequests in Horizon Zero Dawn, and feel they somewhat helped me as I progressed towards the end of the main plot.

I agree, those side quests were good and had some decent plot thread to go with them in most cases.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    edited December 9
    Side quests are so hard to lump together under one guise. The varying quality and reward for completing them differs radically from game to game. They can border on the useless/unfun/soulcrushing frustration to the sublime/satisfying/game changing variety. I don't think I would be the first one to say some side quests are actually better than the game they are packaged with. Much like finding a partner, not everyone may be someone elses cup of tea as well. However, once you have found your drug of choice, it can be days or weeks before you emerge a shell of your former protagonist after being buried in npcs and distractions. I recall losing all memory of a 2 week thanksgiving vacation to chocobo farming the year FF7 came out. I have no concept of what relatives came to visit, or if we even ate turkey. It was that possessive of me. However, as with all games, we move on in time. There may never be another sidequest to match your first true love, but we move on, one thumb depression at a time, searching for that feeling again.

ReaperEzekial wrote: »
    I can sympathize with your mention of Ys VIII - I had the same thing happen to me with Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. I stopped the narrative to start collecting gear, magic and summons and never really went back to finish the narrative.

I actually put 50 hours into breath of the wild but never actually beat gannon. I got to the point where I was death incarnate, had enough dragon parts to open a theme park, and had enough money to swim in a la scrooge mc duck. For some reason I felt that If I beat Gannon I wold have done the same thing I do with every other game once the story is complete, and never touch it again. Almost every game I complete, once the main scenario has been accomplished, I have 0 incentive to dive back into and start collecting. However, If there is still that final battle or just the smallest amount of story left to hash out, I'll literally grow a beard trying to 100% the game before I march forward. Unlike when I was a kid, when I complete a game nowadays, there are a dozen other titles I have backlogged to delve straight into. I'm not waiting 3 months for Xmas to get my next fix.

Reading your comment has really stoked my fire thought. Calamity Gannon's reign of terror has gone on long enough. Poor Zelda is imprisoned in Castle Hyrule while I'm out rolling snowballs, chasing falling stars, and eating rare prime meat straight off the bone. I have a duty to fulfill, and while my camaraderie with Beadle has made me comfortable and complacent, there's a lonely road ahead that only the Hyrule Champion can travel.

(Plus I already bought my son Xenoblade 2 for xmas so if I don't beat Zelda by the time he opens it, It will be another 200-300 hours before I come up for air.)