If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Backloggin' the Year 2018

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
I love setting goals, but I rarely like working through them on my own. Thankfully, the RPGamer staff has stepped up to the plate and have pledged to knock some games out of their backlogs with me.

Let us know your 2018 RPG plans!

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    You know, I always find it interesting to see which titles people put on the back burner and just how many some of you guys have. Its also fascinating how some of these are big name titles like two Final Fantasys and two Trails games.

Seeing the selection process of what to play when you have so many options is something I'm fairly unfamiliar with. Usually I play a game to completion, or drop it completely if I dislike it and resolve never to play again. Seeing Mac try to persevere with The Witcher 3 for example is admirable because thats something I don't normally do. The most stark example is with Resident Evil 6, which I couldn't stand playing even though I kind of wanted to see what happened in different characters' routes.

Normally I don't really have something anyone could consider a Backlog, just a set of 3 to 5 games that I intend on playing relatively soon. With the advent of 2017 though that number has grown to about 11 or 12. I've completely missed out on Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0, Fire Emblem: Echoes, and The Evil Within 2. I'm also planning on getting around to Mask of Truth and Tokyo Xanadu very soon.

However, those don't really follow with the spirit of a Backlog, in that they are all games released this year. The oldest games I have left over right now are Dark Souls 3 and Ar No Surge. I'd probably like to get to Ar No Surge soon, as I tried playing it earlier this year and lost interest again when struggling to correct the localization in my head, on top of being overwhelmed by other incredible games that have come out. Thats probably the number 1 game I want to get off my backlog, as it sounds just dreadful forgetting too much and having to restart a 3rd time.

Anyways, I do wish you the best of luck getting through FFX (and FFX-2?) Nyx. They can certainly take up a lot of time, as I was reminded by a friend of mine who replayed both late in 2015. Sounded like a great time with the HD version though, so hopefully you're able to achieve that goal and have a good time while doing so!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited December 2017
    I have 51 titles sitting around to complete, and my wishlist is at 32. Not as bad as some, but still definitely in the "good until 2025" camp. I failed significantly to clear out as many games this year as intended, but I realize my errors in retrospect. I guess that "must be finish or riot" tier for next year will be Secret of Mana, which I have been playing on-and-off (mostly off) since 2014. I am even at the final dungeon, but I haven't touched it since Thanksgiving 2016. Honestly, kind of want to finish it this year, but I doubt that's going to happen.

I also want to get more Zelda games wrapped up next year, but I know it won't be 2019 until I am all caught up. At the start of this year, I had only completed 5/19 titles; I thought that I could finish them all this year, but that didn't come close (just cleared out 4 more). I plan to at least finish Majora's Mask, Breath of the Wild, The Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks next year. Zelda II, Skyward Sword, Four Swords Adventures, A Link Between Worlds, and Tri-Force Heroes can wait for the following year.

Finally, I am going to start crossing off the Dragon Quest games that I have been accumulating the past two years. At this point, I am honestly just going to go in reverse order once XI is released (skipping X for obvious reasons). Depending on what my brother buys me for Christmas from my wishlist, I may also start up the Kingdom Hearts series in earnest. Really, of the core titles, I have only finish CoM, and I failed to do Riku's side, so I need to still replay that to really complete it. I probably could finish the series before III launches, but I am in no rush. Just like Square Enix. :smiley:
    ClixPsi.png
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited December 2017
    Thank you for this great feature.
    I loved reading about everyone's backlog and realize how small my backlog is by comparison. Only 25 games or so in mine.
    at ChickenGod: How funny. I'm currently playing Ar nosurge and I'm diggin' it.
    *EDIT: It's still fun but it has way too much synthesis for my taste.
  • NefarioCallNefarioCall Member Full Members
    Front Mission 5.
    I absolutely love the FF Tactics etc style games and yet never got around to Front Mission ... and i keep reading that 5 is a masterpiece, and it's in English, but i need to start at least with #2 since they're all connected and the 5th pulls from all the previous games, so it's just a bit daunting.

If the Tales of Rebirth translation ever gets finished that'll be my immediate play though and everything else goes on hold.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I have a backlog of 300-310 games. I will most likely only try a few and not play them to completion. Still, I have a lot of catching up to do.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    My backlog is generally described as "belligerent and numerous" since I can't put a number to it, but I do want to see if I can finish a "get all characters" run of Fire Emblem Awakening since I missed Tharja, Gaius and... some other dude I can't recall the name of... in my first playthrough.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    https://backloggery.com/TheAnimeMan

and that is not 100% accurate
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    https://backloggery.com/TheAnimeMan

and that is not 100% accurate

Meanwhile, mine is. I try to keep up on top of things there.
    ClixPsi.png
    I tend to do update batches, which is nigh past time to do
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    edited December 2017
    Damn, I rarely ever have backlog. Probably because I only buy games I intend to start almost right away when I get them.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I've got a list for this.

Tales of Berseria
    Nioh
    Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
    Dragon Quest Heroes
    Tales of Hearts R
    Watchdogs
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. In usual fashion though, those will all get put on the backburner due to new games coming out and losing my life to MMOs. My prediction on what will happen, anyway, I'll try to see if I can avoid falling into that trap.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    DRM, I recommend you do Birthright, COnquest, then Revelations as the story makes the most sense in this order
    sig.gif

• oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    This year I knocked out almost every recent pc release to get myself up to date on that platform. I started digging through recent nintendo titles and made a substantial dent. XCX probably got the most of my hours at well over 100 hours. World of final fantasy gets a shout out despite feeling meatless and getting maxed out around 50 hours (if that). The game could have used a massive overhaul of the endgame design, since you really can keep playing, but there's just no challenge once you reach a certain threshold and can wreck XG with any party setup (unblockable gravity is my favorite spell of the year)

I have p5 on my backlog but it kinda felt like shenmue when I had to start walking around the town and got bored almost instantly, so I'll have to be in the right mood to get into it.

Really looking forward to XC2 that I'm patiently waiting for my son to open for xmas so I can play it at night when he goes to bed. I'm in the cult that thinks xenogears was the best jrpg ever made so Monolith Soft can't go wrong in my opinion. They pretty much turned zelda into a xeno-clone game, having developed the world and a lot of the game themselves, and the game showed the polish of their ideal world to explore mechanics.

I've been wanting to do the FF7 spinoff games for awhile now, owning both of them, and will have to get around to them before the impending remake in the next year or two. But if i had to sum up my motivation to play them at this point, I'd have to quote Cloud, 'Not interested.'

I also need to dump some grind into the last 2 ffxiv expansions, having an incredible guild and everything but just haven't gotten the bug to spend 3 more months up too late and hating my alarm every morning.

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    My backlog is 70-ish right now and hopefully it is going to be getting smaller next year. We'll see.

I feel like when we all think of backlog, we think of the long games we really want to cross of my list. I think top of my backlog is Radiata Stories and Baten Kaitos Origens. I did an okay job playing the games I got this year; I just have the .hack//G.U. remaster and Tokyo Xanadu eX+ that I have to beat from my 2017 releases. Though I want to pick up a few 2017 games next year if possible like Horizon Zero Dawn. I guess I also want to finish Cold Steel 1 & 2. This year I finished Ao no Kiseki and I guess I lost a bit of steam when it came to Trails games. I really want to replay Zero and Ao, though saving that for 2019.

I also really want to replay Xenoblade after just beating Xenoblade 2 on Friday. I just need to find the time...
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    DRM, I recommend you do Birthright, COnquest, then Revelations as the story makes the most sense in this order
    Already did Conquest, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Birthrights...I got bored playing, it's a little too easy.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."