If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack Episode 181: Xenomorphing

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
It was looking as if a highly-regarded title for the Wii wasn't going to make its way to North America, but Operation Rainfall eventually produced Xenoblade for more of the world. Describing why that was definitely a good thing takes some time, but much less than the game itself.
Being a parasite is neat!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Annnndddd....if you listen through this ENTIRE podcast, you will know the reason I changed my avatar :) KITTY!!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    I don't understand why they don't just make games in both Japanese and English in the first place, since most RPGs have to endure sometimes-long localization processes.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    ArtyParty wrote: »
    I don't understand why they don't just make games in both Japanese and English in the first place, since most RPGs have to endure sometimes-long localization processes.

Given enough money you surely can do that, which is why big time RPGs now have worldwide releases, but for stuff were a worldwide release isn't a guaranteed success, why spend the extra time/money?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The fact that we bad to beg for pretty much the second or so best game of last gen in xenoblade is sad!
    Budai wrote: »
    The fact that we bad to beg for pretty much the second or so best game of last gen in xenoblade is sad!

There's probably a lot more to it than we know, and I doubt the begging had much to do with anything.

What's important is we got it, and haven't had to wait on the follow ups or the 3DS port.
    sig.gif
    edited December 2017
    While it’s true that we don’t really know Nintendo’s plans, since they may have been trying to locaalize the game before rainfall. But I think begging does make a difference, because Japanese developers are always saying if you want a game make it be heard. I really think they use that stuff when they go to higher ups to show them and influence them. Of course they could also just be saying that to increase hype levels.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Xenoblade was announced for Europe in March 2011, Operation Rainfall kicked off in June 2011. So yes, it already was being localised at the time, if only by Nintendo Europe. Whether Nintendo America were planning to use the localisation at the time is another matter. It's entirely plausible that they were in a state to just wait and see if it was worth it based on the European reception.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Xenoblade was announced for Europe in March 2011, Operation Rainfall kicked off in June 2011. So yes, it already was being localised at the time, if only by Nintendo Europe. Whether Nintendo America were planning to use the localisation at the time is another matter. It's entirely plausible that they were in a state to just wait and see if it was worth it based on the European reception.

Plus it ended up being a GameStop exclusive, seeming to indicate they may have had trouble shopping it to retailers in NA perhaps?
    sig.gif
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    The Wii wasn't exactly known as a platform that you went to for 100 hour games in North America.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    Shaymin wrote: »
    The Wii wasn't exactly known as a platform that you went to for 100 hour games in North America.

I have multiple relatives, yes multiple, that bought a wii and never bought another game for it. They just horsed around with wii sports.
    Budai wrote: »
    Shaymin wrote: »

I have multiple relatives, yes multiple, that bought a wii and never bought another game for it. They just horsed around with wii sports.

I think therein lies the problem. The system sold like gangbusters but software was not exactly flying off the shelves except for established Nintendo stuff and casual stuff. Even published by Nintendo a 100 hardcore JRPG was going to be a tough sell. I'd be shocked if there weren't people within Nintendo trying to make it happen pretty much from the get go though, which is why I think the effect of operation rainfall is probably extremely overblown.
    sig.gif
    Also I hope to play with monster hunter world with all the fans here. I mostly use hammer.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Number 1... @Wheels .. stop hijacking RPGBacktrack threads and turning them into Q and A quest threads. I'm watching you!!

Number 2... @Wheels .. I may have sent you a Monster Hunter question via Twitter that I demand you answer to compensate me for Number 1.

Number 3... @Budai .. I answer you on the show. TL;DL Lookin' forward to it. Hit me up on Skype (jcservant7), PSN (jcservant) or my Discord server (it's for my Unchurched blog, but no one cares if we are talking through a game we're playing.) I swear we need a good RPGamer Discord channel...if only there was enough interest! NUDGE NUDGE. Right now, I plan to be on every Friday night at the very least, and likely Saturday and/or Sunday nights as well.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!