If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Awaken, Role Players!

JCServantJCServant Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
Salutations!

Everyone once in a while, I mosey on back to this board to see what's new. Boy, the role playing threads are quiet. TOO quiet. I do not know about the rest of y'all, but I still love myself some pen and paper RP'ing, and play at least once/week...sometimes more.

For the curious, my D&D 5th experiment/comparison to Pathfinder continues. My D&D group is level 5 (We had to start over :( ) While my PF group continues to push forward. I really do like how D&D5 gets rid of so many of the variables, buffs, and other little things that just bogs down PF combat, and how it really makes magic items feel special again. A long sword +1 is a LOT more exciting in D&D 5th than PF since it is a true improvement and not just an expected upgrade at level 4. Furthermore, D&D 5th does not assume magical upgrades at certain levels, the GM gives fewer magic weapons/armors/etc...which means she or he can make take the time to make them unique and interesting. However, I do miss the customization and archetype choices available in PF. We have two rogues in our D&D game and because there are not a lot of variations and choices in class creation/level up, they feel way too much alike. As GM, I address that by adding awesome magic items to the game that help them to feel different. One rogue gets a darkbow which allows him to snipe/sneak attack from a distance, while the other found a magic pair of boots which permits him much quicker movement around the battlefield. It does help that D&D 5th makes backstabs possible as long as you have one friend in melee range of the monster at the same time providing some distraction.

Regardless, I use Golarion, from PF books, as my setting for both games. I'm actually running a PF adventure path for my D&D group. I tried to get back into Frueron (or whatever its called) in D&D....but it feels so cliche and boring to me now. I used to love those books back in the day. I would spend afternoons reading about the adventures of Drizz't and other characters...but, now it just feels sooo boring. Golarion has various countries, each with a good (and sometimes great) history, customs, etc, and a solid list of exciting deities allowing for deep RP customization of characters and NPCs. It helps that they pattern every country after a major theme (i.e. Ustalav = gothic horror, Cheliax = Lawful Evil country that fell from grace, etc).

What about you? What systems are you playing? And, what settings do you enjoy the most? Do you mix and match game systems with settings like I do?
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm still writing stuff based loosely on Pathfinder rules. You're right about variants, archetypes, and choices; it gets addictive after a while, figuring out how to put new characters together. It's also good for reference when I brew up something weirder than normal, usually for one-off characters.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2017
    I've just finished up playing in a six-month Eclipse Phase campaign set in the Mass Effect (Andromeda) universe. Some of the Eclipse Phase rules are a bit too complicated for my tastes but we had a great GM running a role-play heavy campaign that maintained a lot feel of Mass Effect while being thematically a bit more militaristic. If I had the time I'd have kept going with it, but I've just started running a fortnightly Call of Cthulhu campaign myself, on top of running monthly casual games (CoC and D&D 5E) for the local gaming club, so unfortunately I had to give up my place to someone else for now. All the Call of Cthulhu 7th edition material has been really good so far and I'm pretty exited to making of some of the newer supplements. In particular the gangster-centric Missed Dues adventure that came with the GM screen has been really popular with players and I'd highly recommend it as a one-shot game, even if the tone might seem a bit weird for Call of Cthulhu.

I have tried running some D&D/Cthulhu Mythos crossover games with... mixed results. Dark Young aren't quite as horrifying when the PCs can do a pretty good job of hacking them to pieces.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    My wife has been running a 5E campaign for me and some friends set in Eberron
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Drav wrote: »
    I've just finished up playing in a six-month Eclipse Phase campaign set in the Mass Effect (Andromeda) universe. Some of the Eclipse Phase rules are a bit too complicated for my tastes but we had a great GM running a role-play heavy campaign that maintained a lot feel of Mass Effect while being thematically a bit more militaristic.
    Wow...a pen and paper in Mass Effect universe sounds AWESOME.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!