If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished up Zwei: The Arges Adventure (PC). Cute little game, much like its sequel. Review will come soon.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Depression Quest (PC via Steam) -- Loved this and even felt emotionally connected with it. As someone who has been suffering from trauma, taking meds and seeing a therapist, I really appreciated the message in this game. I realize I am years late playing it, but I am so glad I did.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yuusha Shisu (HERO MUST DIE), second run. This time around, the quests were slightly different, allowing me to complete more of them without worrying about mutually exclusive options. Also, my eventual funeral was in the royal chapel instead of a cliff overlooking the sea, and I had over a thousand mourners in attendance. Only ninety-seven of them cried, though.

Other items of interest:
    - I managed to marry the princess AND (in a moment that was largely glossed over) left her with child
    - somehow I managed to arrange things so that the two principal cities do not end up in a civil war within a century
    - trained up the next generation of Great Hero, though I'm kinda suspicious about Yona's motives (girl's got... issues with non-humans, and her face at the funeral was scary)

Apparently the true ending's not available till the fourth playthrough, and there's one party member I haven't even met yet (saw her Wanted poster, though). Between that and several secondary quests I have yet to unlock, I'll definitely be returning to this one before the end of the year.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 1
    After Story and therefore Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (PS4) complete. Play clock ended up being seventy hours, but that is a bit artificially inflated so would say it's probably really around sixty. Obviously, but then you're not talking to every NPC at every possible opportunity and what's the point in that in a Falcom game? Now to figure out how to say much the same that I said about the Vita release with different words plus a bit of caveat about the new story stuff being neat but not really necessary for those who did finished the Vita version.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Wow this game was amazing, I beat it but still a lot to find out before completing it. I will play a lot more before putting it down, might buy the dlc too.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished off Monster Hunter: World (PS4). Holy crap, so much fun. Definitely an early GOTY contender.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Iconoclasts (Vita, 11 hours) - Interesting story, but not as good of a power curve as some Metroid style games have. Still enjoyed it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 8
    Rime (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

A very fun adventure/puzzle game, one that definitely hits you hard emotionally by the end, which will have you breaking down crying. The music is an absolute masterpiece, and the journey to the finale is definitely one to experience. It's one of the PS4's free games of the month if you're a PS+ member, so I suggest everybody who has PS+ to try it out, the game is about 6-7 hours long if you try to go through the game collecting everything. And there are a lot of collectibles.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Tales of Berseria (PS4) -- Beat this in around 41 hours, doing some of the sidequests and just rolling at a leisurely pace. Absolutely loved this one and the ending has such a fantastic surprise. I look forward to sharing my final thoughts on it in the next issue of Backloggin' the Year!
    The Longest 5 Minutes (Switch) is complete. Not certain on time (need to wait another day before the Switch gives me a guess, but I think it was around 15 hours). Review coming soon but I was pleasantly surprised. RPG gameplay is very basic and easy, but the premise and story holds up surprisingly well.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 10
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce (PS4 via .hack/G.U. Last Recode) - 41 hours

Don't particularly have any special remarks for this one. That said, I felt like the postgame last longer, but that's only because the main game ended "earlier" level-wise. After that, I had to grind out a lot of stuff for the Book of 1000. I will get to Vol 3 shortly. Next up is Dissidia NT.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Mercenaries Saga Chronicles: Will of the White Lions (Switch) - Finished off the first game in what the Switch claims is 25 hours (though I never got the game timer on the save file to play nice with sleep mode). Of course, right after that Impression went up, I did run into a few bugs: characters that were missing portraits (I assume those are bugs and not just where they ran out of time). Played it on Normal difficulty, had a good time, but I never unlocked the final classes for my characters. I'm guessing I wasn't opening enough treasure chests on the maps that must hold the items necessary for unlocking. Something to concentrate on for the next game.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    After playing it regularly for 2 months, I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch). The game clock isn't reliable because I left it running often, but I definitely spent over 150 hours on it, which I think makes it the longest I've spent on a JRPG other than Final Fantasy XIV and a few Pokemon games.

It wasn't a great experience for me. Way too much optional content that appealed to me, but took forever to get through. This was my main issue in XC1, so for me, it didn't fix what held back the first game and wasn't an improvement over it. Some time-saving changes where I could have done what I did in 70 hours instead of 150-200, and a UI that isn't awful, and this would have been a great game. Of the optional content, I enjoyed the unique blades' scenes and quests the most, but these were locked behind hours of drudgery and the game didn't tie them to any meaningful reward. Much of the optional quests felt unrewarding and empty.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Final Fantasy VI: SNES. Somewhere in the 12-15th playthrough. This game never gets old. Most of my runs in the past decade have been just trying to beat the clock, this one I spent a little effort dieseling out a couple characters. I forgot how overpowered Xmagic + quick + Ultima in the right order was. Already thinking of the next time I play!
    Monster Hunter: World (PS4)

Haven't played a MH game since the old PSP days, and this game is a shining example of what the series does best, having fun hunting monsters and getting that glorious loot to become a better hunter. I've clocked over 120 hours into this game, and don't see my addiction to this slowing down at all. Don't expect any real story from this (or any MH game for that matter), but expect an addictive hunting experience where no two hunts feel the same.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten DX (PS4) completed in around nine hours. Review coming soon.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Civilization VI (PC via Steam)
    Managed to beat a many hour game. My first Space Victory!

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4)
    This game is very special. Rolled credits, but it isn't like the game is bursting with single player content. I now know the characters I enjoy playing and the ones I don't. Time to go online!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) - 32 hours

Also finished the story mode and got the credits. I want to dabble a bit more and finally try out online, but I know that trophies from here on out are ridiculous and entirely online-oriented. If only offline Ranked counted as "Ranked" for the trophies... then I would almost consider Platinum'ing this. Oh well. I have plans for this weekend and don't want to start G.U. Vol. 3 before then, so I will definitely be playing for the rest of the week at the very least.

First off, for anyone that has avoided the game because of the lackluster trailers and character videos, know that the game is actually solid gameplay-wise, at least for what it is building off of. It takes a lot of what the previous PSP titles started with and fairly properly evolves them. At first glance, the game looks really lazy, with the four roles system. It makes it seem like characters in said roles will play similarly enough and thus the launch roster of 28 feels ridiculously light. However, everyone still plays differently enough, even within the same roles, to warrant such a smaller roster. Furthermore, several characters changed their gimmicks from the previous games, so many had to be reimagined. Time is clearly going into each character, so I understand the less than ideal roster size for now.

The story mode is something of a joke within execution. As a fighting game, it is really just unlocking some cutscenes and battles. Fortunately, what cutscenes do exist are quite stellar by Dissidia standards. For the first time ever, everyone acts within character. No longer are the heroes and villains quasi-amnesiacs with overblown traits barely present in their home game. Everyone remembers whom they are and where they are, aware of the previous two game's plots and their home worlds. Terra is confident, Cloud is not depressed, Sephiroth is not some obsessive stalker, and Firion does not constantly talk about flowers. This all alone is a huge deal since the handling of the characters previous was horrendous for what was meant to be a giant fanservice title. The only said thing is that there are just too few cutscenes. Hell, there are frequently battles and even boss battles without any kind of lead-in or afterwards. This is especially terrible since this results in some characters getting next-to-no screentime. After the first few cutscenes, Squall for all intents and purposes walks off the screen as literal as possible. Still better than Golbez, who does not even have a single line of dialogue despite his high degree of importance in the previous storylines. Really, for what good groundwork the story lays, it is just too little.

And that is sadly the underlying theme of this game. Too little. Too few story segments. Too few new characters (or even returners: Gilgamesh, Tifa, Laguna, Yuna, Prishe, and Gabranth are nowhere to be seen, though Season 1 Pass confirms six characters as upcoming DLC). Too few modes. Really, it feels like this should have stayed in the arcades for couple of more years until a definitive and robust console version could have been launched. I just worry that this anemic launch will not be enough to maintain any momentum into all of the DLC seasons that they seem to be planning.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited February 25
    I actually completed this over a week ago, but I finished Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS). This includes most of the post-game stuff (Team Rainbow Rocket is done; I'm concentrating on catching the Ultra Beasts in the Ultra Wormhole).

It improves on a few things in Sun/Moon, but despite the new content and altered story/Trials, I can't help but feel like I'm replaying the same game. Much of the new stuff seemed shoehorned in, like how the Ultra Recon Squad suddenly pop up in scenes they weren't in before and dump exposition before leaving. I think I'm spoiled by Black 2/White 2, and it doesn't help that Nintendo played coy with whether the games were direct sequels or "third versions" for a long time.

I'm planning on reviewing this, but I'm trying to find enough time to sit down and write it...
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Life Is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4) -- I had super amazing queer lady feelings throughout these three episodes, and I also platinumed this one! Chloe and Rachel just have such an intriguing relationship to me. <3
    edited February 23
    Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV (PSVR via PS4) - That was... hmm... it... I'm not sure what that was. Simplified to two words: entertaining garbage (keep in mind, I grew up on MST3K so I have an appreciation for so bad it's funny things). I can't believe they had the audacity to charge $30 for it. The story mode is ridiculously thin and the FF XV engine doesn't lend itself well to VR; something about how unnaturally shiny everything is drives home how fake the world is. VR, at this stage anyway, works better with a simpler art aesthetic. Actually the fishing itself wasn't that bad, but the "boss" battles where you have to shoot giant monsters with a crossbow weren't much fun. Seems like there are still more hunts and fishing tournaments to try, maybe I'll see what else there is till Moss comes out next week.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited February 24
    Secret of Mana (PS4)

I'd been wanting my own copy of SoM for a while now that didn't have gamebreaker bugs. (the iOS version had a really AWFUL bug; it could glitch randomly and then kiss your save buh-bye; the only remedy was to reinstall, which would wipe your save. >< That forced me to replay the game w/not so legal means b/c I was mad.) When they announced this remake, I was all *jump, jump yay!* I preordered from Gamestop a day or two after they said there would be a physical copy.

Well, this remake's pretty solid but it does have some major crashing problems; I crashed 4 times while playing this. Luckily there's a autosave that saves every time you zone; that kept me from making major noise about it, tho I did report every one. Hopefully before I get the itch to play it again they can fix that. Especially if I can get a cheap second controller; I wouldn't want that to happen while I'm playing with my nieces.

Some may not like the remixed music; I've read about people saying that's a turd. I thought it was okay at least.

Graphics were based on the original art, so I think anyone complaining about graphics is barking up the wrong tree. I think they're fine, but they do need to work on expressions.

Anyway I had a blast and if they ever fix the crash bugs, I might revisit it. If any of you get this, make sure you loosen the nostalgia goggles and prepare for a rocking good time. Oh and when you level magic disable the voices temporarily, hearing Popoi (the sprite) call for Salamando for the 1000th time gets really old fast. Oh and if you find the remixed music is trash, there's a option to use the original. Do it. Oh and the voices? Other than that one quibble, they're on point.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, 45 hours) - After three false starts, I finally got into this and loved it. It's the type of game you have to really want to put the time into, because it's tough to just mainline it without doing side quests. Also that would cause you to miss the best parts. It's everything that I loved about Skyrim with combat that I finally enjoyed and characters that actually have life. Time to start Hearts of Stone.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Demon Gaze II (PS4) - I finished this last night, at least I saw credits anyway. Generally enjoyed it, but there were plenty of things that annoyed me as well. Apparently there is a gigantic post-game that gets incredibly hard towards the end. I guess that isn't a huge surprise since I finished around level 35 and the level cap is 60. Might poke around a bit in the post game before reviewing, but not for too long because it's kind of overdue :)
    edited March 1
    Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (PS4) (18 hours - found the clock) is done. Thank — for that.
    Moss (PSVR via PS4) - Yep, that was absolutely amazing! I loved this game from beginning to end. Polyarc did such a good job of taking simple controls (there is really only attack, jump, and evade) but executing them masterfully. It's so weird for your head to be the camera. You can move anywhere, and even look inside of structures. The designers kept adding new wrinkles right up to the end and it felt like it ended in the right place (probably 6-8 hours long). Have a feeling that nothing is going to top this for non-RPG of the year. I just hope there are enough people with VR to buy this so it's a success and a sequel gets made.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS)
    It is honestly amazing how much I grew to hate this game. You'd think an "improved" version of Sun/Moon would be just as good if you enjoyed them already. However, this was not the case for me despite really enjoying them originally. Every change is implemented to incompletely that it just picked and picked at me. Team RR is fun, but the story implications are laughable and this incarnation of Giovanni seems only to exist to pander to those who thinks he is the best evil team leader.

Civilization VI: Rise and Fall (PC via Steam)
    I just wanted a Science victory with Japan with the new rule-set and changes, instead the AI decided each and every Civ hated me, so I had to change all my plans and went Domination Victory. I apologize for nothing!
    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (PS4, DLC, 9 hours) - At first I couldn't figure out what everyone loved about this, but by the end it all came together beautifully. A great piece of DLC content.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited March 5
    Miitopia (3DS) - I beat this in forty hours through there is still a lot of content to explore after the fact. I'll be writing a review for this one since we don't have one. Overall, I liked it!
    Secret of Mana (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

A trip through memory lane with some new paint attached to it, this game was a 1:1 remake. Meaning everything (in all its horror and glory) was transferred to the new game. However they did add voices to all dialogue, a quick switch for weapons, shortcuts you can use for weapons/items/magic, etc. I liked running through the game in this form, but again, a lot of what annoyed me about the original SNES version was here.

The ring menu, the 'stamina' system, the need to grind for the final weapon orbs, etc. The final weapon orbs is a real big personal peeve of mine, since you need one of every weapon type except for the axe and gloves, which you need two of. This is especially stupid on the axe and gloves since there are two bosses here that don't drop weapon orbs that one of each could have easily been added to.

Overall, I'd say this is worth a play for anybody who is a fan of the original. If you wonder about the crashes though, I only ever saw them while grinding for spell/weapon levels or for the rare equipment drops, so those won't really pop up much (if at all) if you're just going from start to finish without grinding.