If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

2»

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 13 hours) - Not typically a fan of the open world style 3D Marios, but I really enjoyed this one. It was a blast.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished up Zwei: The Arges Adventure (PC). Cute little game, much like its sequel. Review will come soon.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Depression Quest (PC via Steam) -- Loved this and even felt emotionally connected with it. As someone who has been suffering from trauma, taking meds and seeing a therapist, I really appreciated the message in this game. I realize I am years late playing it, but I am so glad I did.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth - Hacker's Memory (PS4) - a lot of assets reused from the first game, but since this story runs alongside that of the first one, it kind of makes sense. If you liked the first one, this one will be more of the same. If you didn't, well, I wouldn't think this will be good for you then. If you're on the fence, the two games are good JRPG monster collectors and you can find the original for pretty cheap, so try that.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Yuusha Shisu (HERO MUST DIE), second run. This time around, the quests were slightly different, allowing me to complete more of them without worrying about mutually exclusive options. Also, my eventual funeral was in the royal chapel instead of a cliff overlooking the sea, and I had over a thousand mourners in attendance. Only ninety-seven of them cried, though.

Other items of interest:
    - I managed to marry the princess AND (in a moment that was largely glossed over) left her with child
    - somehow I managed to arrange things so that the two principal cities do not end up in a civil war within a century
    - trained up the next generation of Great Hero, though I'm kinda suspicious about Yona's motives (girl's got... issues with non-humans, and her face at the funeral was scary)

Apparently the true ending's not available till the fourth playthrough, and there's one party member I haven't even met yet (saw her Wanted poster, though). Between that and several secondary quests I have yet to unlock, I'll definitely be returning to this one before the end of the year.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 1
    After Story and therefore Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (PS4) complete. Play clock ended up being seventy hours, but that is a bit artificially inflated so would say it's probably really around sixty. Obviously, but then you're not talking to every NPC at every possible opportunity and what's the point in that in a Falcom game? Now to figure out how to say much the same that I said about the Vita release with different words plus a bit of caveat about the new story stuff being neat but not really necessary for those who did finished the Vita version.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited February 3
    Pokemon Yellow Version (GBC) (via 3DS Virtual Console) - did something of a speed run with this, getting only what I needed pokemon wise and rushing each gym. I did beat every enemy trainer up to the elite four, so it's not pure speed. My game time was 15:23, though I don't really keep track of the times it takes to beat stuff. I'm actually kind of surprised I managed to do it with my team. Team:

Pikachu - level 46 - thunderbolt, thunder, quick attack, thunder wave
    Kadabra - level 51 - recover, confusion, psychic, psywave
    Charizard - level 42 - scratch, slash, ember, fly
    Blastoise - level 48 - tackle, bite, surf, bubblebeam
    Snorlax - level 46 - headbutt, strength, rest, body slam
    Nidoqueen - level 46 - earthquake, blizzard, body slam, double kick

Considering some of the elite four/champion were almost 20 levels higher, I'm really happy to have won the first shot. Kadabra saved me against Lance, but other than that ever pokemon but charizard pulled its own weight.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Wow this game was amazing, I beat it but still a lot to find out before completing it. I will play a lot more before putting it down, might buy the dlc too.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Just finished off Monster Hunter: World (PS4). Holy crap, so much fun. Definitely an early GOTY contender.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Iconoclasts (Vita, 11 hours) - Interesting story, but not as good of a power curve as some Metroid style games have. Still enjoyed it.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Breath of Fire (GBA) took this one out of my backlog and conquered it with a walkthrough. This game would have been a lot more annoying if I didn't have guidance in a few places. It's not that great of a game, really, with no feelings of satisfaction from doing anything. Beating bosses was just a thing to do and then move on. Some of the plot points is someone asking you if you'll help them yes/no and that's it. Glad to have it done and I got the good ending, not going to play this again for a long time.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 8
    Rime (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

A very fun adventure/puzzle game, one that definitely hits you hard emotionally by the end, which will have you breaking down crying. The music is an absolute masterpiece, and the journey to the finale is definitely one to experience. It's one of the PS4's free games of the month if you're a PS+ member, so I suggest everybody who has PS+ to try it out, the game is about 6-7 hours long if you try to go through the game collecting everything. And there are a lot of collectibles.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Tales of Berseria (PS4) -- Beat this in around 41 hours, doing some of the sidequests and just rolling at a leisurely pace. Absolutely loved this one and the ending has such a fantastic surprise. I look forward to sharing my final thoughts on it in the next issue of Backloggin' the Year!
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    The Longest 5 Minutes (Switch) is complete. Not certain on time (need to wait another day before the Switch gives me a guess, but I think it was around 15 hours). Review coming soon but I was pleasantly surprised. RPG gameplay is very basic and easy, but the premise and story holds up surprisingly well.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 10
    .hack//G.U. Vol. 2//Reminisce (PS4 via .hack/G.U. Last Recode) - 41 hours

Don't particularly have any special remarks for this one. That said, I felt like the postgame last longer, but that's only because the main game ended "earlier" level-wise. After that, I had to grind out a lot of stuff for the Book of 1000. I will get to Vol 3 shortly. Next up is Dissidia NT.
    ClixPsi.png
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Mercenaries Saga Chronicles: Will of the White Lions (Switch) - Finished off the first game in what the Switch claims is 25 hours (though I never got the game timer on the save file to play nice with sleep mode). Of course, right after that Impression went up, I did run into a few bugs: characters that were missing portraits (I assume those are bugs and not just where they ran out of time). Played it on Normal difficulty, had a good time, but I never unlocked the final classes for my characters. I'm guessing I wasn't opening enough treasure chests on the maps that must hold the items necessary for unlocking. Something to concentrate on for the next game.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    After playing it regularly for 2 months, I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch). The game clock isn't reliable because I left it running often, but I definitely spent over 150 hours on it, which I think makes it the longest I've spent on a JRPG other than Final Fantasy XIV and a few Pokemon games.

It wasn't a great experience for me. Way too much optional content that appealed to me, but took forever to get through. This was my main issue in XC1, so for me, it didn't fix what held back the first game and wasn't an improvement over it. Some time-saving changes where I could have done what I did in 70 hours instead of 150-200, and a UI that isn't awful, and this would have been a great game. Of the optional content, I enjoyed the unique blades' scenes and quests the most, but these were locked behind hours of drudgery and the game didn't tie them to any meaningful reward. Much of the optional quests felt unrewarding and empty.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Final Fantasy VI: SNES. Somewhere in the 12-15th playthrough. This game never gets old. Most of my runs in the past decade have been just trying to beat the clock, this one I spent a little effort dieseling out a couple characters. I forgot how overpowered Xmagic + quick + Ultima in the right order was. Already thinking of the next time I play!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Monster Hunter: World (PS4)

Haven't played a MH game since the old PSP days, and this game is a shining example of what the series does best, having fun hunting monsters and getting that glorious loot to become a better hunter. I've clocked over 120 hours into this game, and don't see my addiction to this slowing down at all. Don't expect any real story from this (or any MH game for that matter), but expect an addictive hunting experience where no two hunts feel the same.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."