If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Gemini Strike(iOS)

a nice shooter, that have a nice twist on explaining why you have multiple life.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (PS4, DLC, 17 hours) - Despite what others said about this, I much preferred B&W to Hearts of Stone. It felt like a nice complete package and was fun the whole way through.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (Vita), 8:57, 97% completion
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    edited March 15
    flOw and Expansion Pack - PS3

5/10 - Can only recommend this game if it's on sale for very cheap, although it has cross buy. Short campaign, no replay ability. Six axis controls can be frustrating. Music is great though, easy to pick up and play, and the organisms look cool as they grow.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Pokemon Ultra Sun (3DS) - I enjoyed it more than the original Sun, but only just. I liked the little changes, but flying between worlds is dumb. Why would anyone want to use gyro controls? They're awful. If I had to recommend one 3DS pokemon, it would probably be this one. My Team:

Sgt Peckers the Decidueye - Leaf blade, false swipe, spirit shackle, pluck
    Mcpl Bubble the Vaporeon - ice beam, scald, shadow ball, muddy water
    Lt Surge the Raichu - psychic, thunderbolt, nasty plot, charm
    Cpl Grimes the Muk - crunch, poison fang, poison jab, knock off
    Mcpl McBurn the Magmar - confuse ray, feint attack, fire punch, flamethrower
    Lt Patootie the Ribombee - pollen puff, dazzling gleam, quiver dance, roost
    Muk was useless, to be honest. He can hit for a lot of damage, but he's slow and only has not bad defense. The move spread just didn't cover a lot of weaknesses. I didn't even use it during the pokemon league. I would've liked to evolve magmar, but I like him and it's the first time I used a magmar, so it was all right.

Aww, you should have hit up one of the many Gen VII players here, like me, to get help evolving Magmar. I am always willing to help out another RPGamer trainer.
    ClixPsi.png
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Monster Hunter World (PS4)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Went into this expecting another goofy Ratchet and Clank adventure, was not disappointed. This is basically a reboot, but changes things up enough to keep you guessing as to what happens next. Gameplay is nothing new for fans of the series, but I still had lots of fun with this game. Can't wait to see the next big adventure from the duo.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Forgot to post one the other day and finished a new one to boot.

Mercenaries Saga 2: Order Of The Silver Eagle (Switch) Playing 1 and 2 back-to-back there is a sense of progression between the two games that's interesting to see. No radical changes, but there are small changes that keep the combat fresh.

Into the Breach (PC) - The new game from the makers of FTL. This was good; really enjoyed the incredibly small scale and quick combat. The rogue-like elements will probably have me back for more runs with different sets of mechs and it was a little bit easier than FTL (I successfully finished the game on first playthrough on easy). A very good game.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    Monster Hunter World ps4
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Already went and sold it back, so I guess that Secret of Mana (Vita) is officially over and done with. I did not try for all trophies, because numerous issues I had with the game (both due to the game itself and to my Vita) made it a massive chore by the end.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 (PC, Via Steam) -- I liked this one better than episode 3, and I'll definitely have more to say in the next Backloggin' the Year column. Yay defeating backlog.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited March 20
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, 69 hours apparently). Rather good.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Knack (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy

Oh boy, where to begin with this? Story is forgettable, gameplay is really simplistic (you either punch or use a special attack), and there are a lot of questionable design choices in this game. You collect gadget parts (support items) and crystal relics (pieces for outfits) from various hidden chests in this game.

The questionable parts are that due to being able to also choose what friends have chosen from a chest, it's very possible to get crystal relics for an outfit you've already obtained, meaning you're grinding longer for those. And since chests do not respawn until you're in a new playthrough, you have to play through the entirety of the game multiple times. Speaking of new game+, you're stuck in whatever difficulty you set, and you cannot change your outfit unless you either go to a brand new playthrough (and thus lose everything outside of the outfits), chapter select, time attack, or the coliseum after beating the game.

By the time I platinum'd this, I was far more annoyed at the game than I should have been and glad for it to be over. I will not be replaying this, though I heard the sequel fixed quite a few things, so I'll find out whenever I eventually play that one.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Burly Men at Sea (Vita, 3 hours) - This was a neat little interactive story. It was short and nothing too memorable, but I liked the way it handled branching story paths.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4) - Review to come. I cried like a baby.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited March 23
    Okay, this one is a minor doozy.
    Magic Knights Rayearth (PC via higan) -- Yes this is the SNES version. It's about the second or third time I've beaten this unreleased in the US game (I found it first when I was in college). Was doing this with a translation patch; if you don't mind some old school with a mildly annoying enemy encounter rate in places and liked the anime/manga, you might like this one. Just a warning; it's not quite the same as the anime/manga. Oh and the ending is bittersweet, but you'd know that if you watched the anime or read the manga.

Mind, I don't always play ROMs of things; my personal policy is it has to be unreleased in some fashion (aka. you can't get it on any eshops) or the company that published it has to be out of business before I'll resort to that. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited March 25
    Finished The Council - Episode 1: The Mad Ones (PS4) (believe it was about three hours). Very interesting and looking forward to the next. Liked how the conversation system worked with being tied to skills, the characters, etc.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited March 29
    I played Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) during the Olympics. It's only the 2nd 3D Mario I've played since 64. Once every 10 years is about the right frequency for me. I had fun, and it was the right length, but having a moon around every corner took away from the exploration a bit, and once I beat it I had no desire to re-explore old stages for more.

And I finished Middle-earth: Shadow of War (PS4) tonight. On one hand, this has my favorite gameplay systems of any action game ever. Even at the end of the siege grind, I was still seeing orc leader types and random events that were new, and I just love the orc leaders, nemesis system, and open world. On the other hand, siege defenses emphasize everything the game does poorly, and forcing me to play 20 defenses, with hours spent leveling orcs between each one, was a completely insane decision. I hated defenses and found them frustrating, even though I only lost 3 or 4. The game clock says I spent 60 hours on this, but it felt much, much longer. In a bad way.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Finished Detective Pikachu (3DS) in around twelve hours. Not the most complex detectiving required, even where there are puzzle you can pretty much brute force in the a couple of attempts, also kinda cheaps out on the ending but neverless I defnitely enjoyed it.
  • TheDoomhammerTheDoomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII [PC] In that I finished a full campaign for once. Went from common bandit to the Empress of China (well, mother of the empress, anyway. Abdicated to my characters daughter immediately after I ascended to the throne.)
    edited April 3
    Mercenaries Saga 2: Order Of The Silver Eagle (3DS) was a solid, simple Japanese tactics game. I liked how each character felt different, and that you can't unlock everyone's best class so you have to pick and choose with some guesswork and fingers crossed on what you're changing a party member into. Kenneth as a Merchant (mostly using Assassin skills) was my hero. I liked taking Colette down the Dancer, Monk, Valkyrie path. Although I didn't unlock Valk until 2 or 3 stages before the end, she became the most versatile and useful character I had for those stages. A healing, buffing, damage-dealing, unkillable queen of combat.

The balance and length were perfect on this one. It was fun to play something so simple/retro from a subgenre I rarely touch anymore.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Mercenaries Saga 2: Order Of The Silver Eagle (3DS) was a solid, simple Japanese tactics game. I liked how each character felt different, and that you can't unlock everyone's best class so you have to pick and choose with some guesswork and fingers crossed on what you're changing a party member into. Kenneth as a Merchant (mostly using Assassin skills) was my hero. I liked taking Colette down the Dancer, Monk, Valkyrie path. Although I didn't unlock Valk until 2 or 3 stages before the end, she became the most versatile and useful character I had for those stages. A healing, buffing, damage-dealing, unkillable queen of combat.

The balance and length were perfect on this one. It was fun to play something so simple/retro from a subgenre I rarely touch anymore.

Yes, exactly. There's nothing about these Mercenaries Saga games that make them seem epic or groundbreaking, but they just do everything simple and right. It's like if all Kemco games actually pulled off the retro vibe they are attempting with their graphical look.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited April 3
    I also played three games of Into the Breach (PC) on Easy over the weekend. The package as a whole is more simple than FTL, which was disappointing, but as a tactics game it's very rewarding to plan out a series of moves and pull a victory out of a bad situation, and bad situations happen often. Each squad I've used has been a new experience, which is cool. I keep feeling like I'm barely winning, so I haven't tried Normal yet. I might see if I can win with each squad once first, then take my favorite into Normal and see what happens.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    7thCircle wrote: »
    I also played three games of Into the Breach (PC) on Easy over the weekend. The package as a whole is more simple than FTL, which was disappointing, but as a tactics game it's very rewarding to plan out a series of moves and pull a victory out of a bad situation, and bad situations happen often. Each squad I've used has been a new experience, which is cool. I keep feeling like I'm barely winning, so I haven't tried Normal yet. I might see if I can win with each squad once first, then take my favorite into Normal and see what happens.

The difficulty balance for Into the Breach feels a lot better than FTL where I found the endgame to be unnecessarily punishing. Normal ups the difficulty, but still feels manageable to me. Figuring out how to maximize the different groups of mechs in some ways is more challenging than the difficulty bump.
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (HD)- PS3

What a frustrating game this is. My aggravation were due to the poor controls and check point system. On occasion, my second jump was just not registering even though I was pressing the button which led to cheap deaths. Some might think that it might be the controller at fault. Well, I broke a ps3 controller over a stupid mini game and it still kept happening. I have never played the original or the PS4 version, so I don’t know if those version have that issue. Even though I hated the game, I still managed to get all collectables and receive my first platinum trophy Smile . I guess I am a sucker for punishment. Thankfully the game is short so I didn’t have to put up with it for too long. I still felt it was really short even after getting everything.
    The two good things I can say about the game is that it looks good and ran great. What little fun I had in game were the driving sections. The story was just enough to propel me to the end. I wanted to finish the first as I still have the other Jak and Daxter games to finish, although, it might be a while before I start one of those.

Score: 3/10
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Ninokuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PC). Very enjoyable game, great style and atmosphere and a charming cast of characters. I thought they'd do a bit more with the themes and plot than they did, so I can't say the ending was all that spectacular, but it was a great ride all the same.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Ever Oasis (3DS) -- Wow. I still have the after the main story stuff to do, but that was quite a story; and yes, bittersweet ending. :( man.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    Sometime last week I finished up Nier: Automata (PS4). Didn't clear out every ending, but I think I'm only missing one now. I very much enjoyed it, though it was not the unimaginable masterpiece that some have projected it as. Some strong characters and the voice acting was very well done (English version). I will likely try to platinum the game at some point, but I need a break for a bit.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Super Mario Odyssey (switch)

great super Mario game, still have a lot of moon to find!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Minit (PS4, 2 hours) - Short, but brilliant. Loved this little game.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm