If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2018 Completed Games List

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Chaos;Child (PS4) - Wow, what an amazing Visual Novel this was. Last year I had seen this game advertised as getting a localization once or twice, but with the slew of amazing titles released in 2017 I had forgotten about it. It didn't help that I hadn't seen a single impression from anywhere I frequent online about anyone playing it either. Somehow it caught my eye this time around while browsing and the rest is history.

Proud to report that everything I was looking for and expecting from KnS2 was delivered in Chaos;Child, and then some. Some of the horrific incidents that occurred are among the most powerful scenes I've seen in any game and they'll never be forgotton. The pacing of the main route is really excellent, there's a constant tension and sense of foreboding behind everything. Not too much time is spent on mundane activities, but there's still optional humor injected if you wish to observe the number of delusions present. The visuals are pretty good too, and the soundtrack does a lot to amplify the intense moments and creepy atmosphere. The only flaw that bothered me about Chaos;Child was the fact that you have to replay the game numerous times to view other character's routes in order to see the final epilogue. These alternate routes vary in quality, with some of them containing vital information that probably should have been touched upon in the main route, while others still are almost non-sensical and can even lessen the impact of moments that could have been saved exclusively for the epilogue. In the end though I ended up Platinuming the game and thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Chaos;Child. I'd go so far to say that its one of the best Visual Novels I've read yet. If you're like me and completely forgot about this title or had written it off, maybe consider giving it a chance if you're looking for something with high shock value, solid mysteries, and excellent pacing. This was one of those hidden gems that I often play niche titles looking for and it left me wanting keep riding the Visual Novel train which I'll get into with the next game later on.
  • Michael A CunninghamMichael A Cunningham Administrators
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Chaos;Child (PS4) I'd go so far to say that its one of the best Visual Novels I've read yet.

Just for comparison, what are some of the others you like?
    Just for comparison, what are some of the others you like?

Using a loose interpretation of a VN I'd go with Danganronpa 1/3, 999/Virtue's Last Reward, Fate/Stay Night, Root Double, and Season 1 of The Walking Dead from the western side of things as my favorites along with Chaos;Child. I tend to prefer atmospherically tense or mystery focused stories with light horror elements rather than slice of life or romantic comedies, which is why I gravitate towards these. Its funny you should ask though, because right now this is the easiest genre for me to play and I have a ton of them lined up to go from the Steam Summer Sale so maybe things change in a month or two haha. If you are considering giving the game a try I hope its as gripping for you as it was for me Mac.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 25
    I've been itching for a 4X run for a few weekends now. I started Galactic Civilizations 3 (PC) Friday night, played until 8:30am Saturday morning (which is why I only play on weekends), and wrapped it up during daylight hours.

It got another large patch since I played it last year, and truly feels like a finished game. I forgot how food works, again, and messed that up, but otherwise had an easy time. I want to try it on a harder difficulty next time.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited June 28
    Finished off Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4). Despite noticeable improvements to the controls, I'm tired of the gameplay and didn't enjoy this much. I hardly touched the optional content and beat it mostly because no other game is grabbing me at the moment. I wasn't going to get any more AC games after Unity, but received this as a gift a couple of years ago.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Persona 5 (PS3) - Not gonna lie, I found most of this game miserable. I started with P3 Fes, so I have been accustomed to planning my free time and dungeon time to the letter. P5 really wants you to follow it's pace and and railroads you really hard in the beginning, I would say almost for the first 3rd of the game. It was also much easier than I was expecting. However, I will say I nearly turned around on it during the last 3rd of the game. Suddenly, the difficulty I was expecting slams in unexpectedly and the last leg of the final dungeon really got my blood pumping. I ultimately left satisfied with an ending I wasn't expecting.

Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion (Nintendo Switch) - This managed to sneak up on me despite looking forward to it. I spent a lot of time getting into it. I absolutely love this expansion. It's everything I wanted from Splatoon 2 originally but also manages to be really challenging and engaging. Story is far more bizarre than last time and Pearl and Marina get to be main characters the Splatfests always told us they were. I will say though, the difficulty is surprisingly steep at times. I will freely admit I skipped the final final boss after like 6 attempts. In all, I felt this was expansion was more than worth the wait and the money I spent on it nearly feels criminal. I didn't do every challenge, but I will plug away at it here and there.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    I am Setsuna (Switch)
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure DLC (Switch) - That was more of a good thing, though it doesn't manage to evolve the gameplay in the way I would have hoped. Crashing at the end of the last boss battle didn't help either.
    edited July 5
    The Shadows of Pygmalion (PC) - Undecided what to play next, a friend of mine picked a random VN from the ones I bought on the Steam Summer Sale and I decided to go with it. SoP starts off relatively slowly, introducing you to a fantasy world of puppets that feels somewhat akin to Fate/Stay Night. The single word that comes to mind after playing it is "odd", in an eyebrow raising but not utter disbelief way. The first half of the game was difficult to get through although things turn a cornor at the halfway mark:
    Spoiler:
    the main character is simtaneously very normal yet extremely emotionally dependant on others, and abnormal in other ways. This is very much on purpose though and sets up for the conclusion. Things really start to get going at the half way mark though when your best friend and crush Makoto becomes infected by the divine puppet and due to her jealousy over being ignored for a few days turns everyone into psychotic killing puppets that you and your new group have to then take out.

What I didn't like about Pygmalion was that it seemed like it was on a tigher budget, kind of like Umineko. It relies quite a bit on descriptive prose and repeated background stills, with a smaller number of character poses and unique shots. Its a shame because the art style is more stylized than usual and appealing to look at. The lack of visual flair also hurts some of the story's more powerful moments. If you actually got a clearer picture of some of the events that transpire, then they in turn might seem more weird and fantastical than simply describing them does. They also could have spent a lot more time doubling down on the lore and combatants than they did. These things were probably glossed over due to a lack of time and money, oh well.

Overall my impression of the game is much better after having finished it than before. There's enough action scenes to keep things engaging later on, and some of the better tunes are saved for these moments. The conclusion wrapped things up concisely while allowing the player to figure out other implied answers themselves. Basically slightly above average, nothing too special but also worth the time invested.
    Picross - The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess (3DS)

fun puzzle game.
    sig.gif
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 9
    I realise I have neglected to update this with my most recent games, I believe these are the games I have done since the last update :)

7'scarlet (Vita) (around 12 hours)
    West of Loathing (Switch) (9 hours)
    The Lost Child (Switch) (35 hours)
    Muv-Luv Extra (Vita) (around 20 hours)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited July 13
    Yakuza 6 (PS4) - Awesome game. I could rave about it for a while. It excelled at all the JRPG genre's strengths and avoided the genre's weaknesses and pet peeves of mine. I haven't played every Yakuza game because I'm tired of the gameplay by the end and they come out so frequently, but this is by far the best one I've played, and due to the long story breaks between gameplay segments, I never got tired of it.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited July 16
    Assassin's Creed Origins and The Hidden Ones DLC and Discovery Tour DLC and The Curse of the Pharaohs DLC (PS4) - 100% Platinum Trophy - 107 hours - Easy difficulty

I liked it a lot (107 hours in 30 days says a lot, right?). The change in battle system was annoying. It just doesn't seemed pretty balance, in a different way for the series. The new RPG mechanics means that levels are an actual thing instead of just skill, but EXP is thrown around like candy if you have perfectionist tendencies. Enemies are shield-heavy turtles, but they immediately switch to shield-breaking skills the moment that the player tries to block while shield-breaking it hard to do for the player. Note, that was on Easy, so I have no idea how bad this game gets. The main story is mediocre and missing so many holes in the action. The sidequests, however, are spectacular and probably the series best. They are numerous and frequently fairly involved and not very repetitive like Syndicate's. That said, I found the exploration to be very underwhelming. So much of the map just was not used in the main plot, and the scale just seemed off.

The DLC was a bit more hit-or-miss. Discovery Tour is a joke and a poor substitute for the datalogue the series has become sort of known for (though the modern day plot makes it pretty obvious why it was omitted this time around). The tours are fairly shallow and not actually making use of the simulation that much. The most vital were those detailing the team's design choices in how they chose to model or animate something. The Hidden Ones was a decent little pack, but, for a story sequel, I would rather done something with wrapping up the loose ties with Anthony and Cleopatra. The Curse of the Pharaohs was far more worth the time and money investment. Thebes was something of a notable missing area for the base game (set entirely in Lower Egypt), and the otherworldly (literally) moments in the DLC were fun. The plot was also like a film noir detective story.

Overall, I am still not entirely sure how to feel about the series as it currently stands. The mishandling of Unity really stung, and, while I appreciate efforts to shake things up, I do not agree with the entire direction change. Leaning in more to the open-world aspect hurt this game in a lot of ways. Quests are no longer as sequenced, so it is easy to just bumble into assassinating story targets while exploring/sidequesting (happened a number of times for me, including the pseudo-final boss!). Furthermore, while I am super happy that they finally introduced a new PC to replace Desmond in the present day, I am thoroughly pissed that the entire Juno plotline has been reassigned to the goddamn COMICS. I know how most of the casual fans hate the modern plot, but screw them. I have been here since day one, and I want to see some closure after 11 games of set up. Just sidelining it pisses me off so much.
    ClixPsi.png
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited July 17
    Castlevania Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4) What a great Castlevania game. I've only beaten it the first time through, but my only complaint was that it was too easy for a game based on one of the most punishing NES platformers. I'm assuming that it will get harder as the next step is called "Nightmare Mode", but this was really fantastic for being a stretch goal for a Kickstarter game.
    Mega Man 2(via Mega Man Anniversary Collection) (Game Cube)
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Zwei: The Arges Adventure (PC) - Finished that just in time for the end of JRPGJuly. I'll have some thoughts when the final update goes up.
    edited August 2
    The Fruit of Grisaia (PC) - This sure was a long one! Typically I tend to stay far away from Slice of Life games, but I picked up Grisaia due to the high ratings and thought there was something mysterious about the premise.

It may seem strange, but I actually fell completely in love with Grisaia and its colorful cast of characters. All five of the main girls are just all stars, and the MC is a welcome atypical personality from what tends to be put in this role. The first big portion of the game, the Common Route, was filled to the brim with laugh out loud moments thanks to some highly inappropriate jokes and unusual yet still somehow relatable scenarios. You also get to spend a lot of time with the characters and see multifaceted portions of their personality which helps them really come alive. Rarely do I find earnest attempts at humor in video games funny, but Grisaia managed to stay away from the more traditional Japanese slapstick which coupled with the well written dirty jokes was right up my alley and had me taking tons of screenshots. As a Slice of Life, it also helps that the episodic nature of the writing is easy to get into and doesn't drag on too long, allowing you to start or stop at a moments notice feeling more mentally refreshed as you go.

Upon branching off into the specific character routes, I was worried that I would grow tired of the game after one or two, but thankfully that wasn't the case. I started off with Amane's Route and found some segments just as hysterical if not more so than the common route. Then it pleasantly surprised with some plot development as well that was very welcome as this was after many, many hours of reading. I was thrilled with almost everything in Amane's Route, who was my favorite character at the time, but I'm proud to report that the other routes are just as enjoyable in their own way too. Sachi's route was a rollercoaster of emotions, and then Yumiko's route felt thematically appropriate and built my appreciation for her immensely.
    Spoiler:
    The only one I didn't really like was Michiru's, which kinda assassinates the character of Yuuji and also has too many moments that I couldn't suspend my disbelief for without thinking less of what I was reading

So yeah, Grisaia is one of those games that reminds me of Sakura Wars. Its just so full of warmth and happiness with the right amount of drama mixed in that its easy to overlook flaws like the lack of plot advancement or background stills being on the shorter side. Grisaia managed to captivate my heart at the end, and I hope the other two games can match this whenever I manage to get around to them.
    Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4) via Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5 ReMix - 32 hours - Normal difficulty

I finally finished the first KH game. Yay. I mostly had fun, I guess. I planned to do more of postgame, but I am just not feeling it. The optional bosses just don't sound fun.
    ClixPsi.png
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 7
    .hack //Infection (PS2)

I am extremely lucky here. Shadowcat has all 4 games, which is rare now a days. (As well as very expensive if you bought them today) I decided to try to play and beat these games; I don't think I will EVER get another chance if I finally manage to find my way out of this house. Was as crazy as you'd expect, and a fun time. Now to do a bit more rare hunting, then off to the next game! May it not take as long as this one; RL just drove me crazy. ^^ But I finally beat Skeith. Loved the game, tho it was reeallly dark on my new age tv in places, sadly. But I had a good time, so that's something.

Going to do the aftergame stuff, then ask 'Cat for the next game. Also just so folks know; this was played on a REAL PS2, a fatty that 'Cat got lucky and found at a thrift store for me. ^^ Glad to have one that I don't have to fight over. ^^

But yeah, one more dead out of the backlog..no telling how many to go.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Sorry about the double post but..FINISHED with .hack //Infection(PS2) now. Got the afterboss. Might do a couple more things but that's it.

Also Ever Oasis (3DS) is finished as well. Finished the aftergame stuff as well, including getting the last festival and the last booths up :3
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    The inaugural semester of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption has come to a close, and my unlikely hero even got the Rogue of the Year award. There was a marked lack of that-which-should-not-be attempting to take over the world (esp. in light of the history of the castle now hosting the university), and a mysterious door in the dungeons that cannot be opened, so...

Let's hope for more shenanigans next semester / game!
    The inaugural semester of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption has come to a close, and my unlikely hero even got the Rogue of the Year award. There was a marked lack of that-which-should-not-be attempting to take over the world (esp. in light of the history of the castle now hosting the university), and a mysterious door in the dungeons that cannot be opened, so...

Let's hope for more shenanigans next semester / game!

Pen and Paper?
    ClixPsi.png
  • PC
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Banner Saga 3 (PS4) -- I finished this game with a lot of yelling and feelings. Review to come soon.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
  • Sam WachterSam Wachter RPGamer Staff
    Final Fantasy XV (PS4) -- I have many thoughts about this game and I cannot wait to share them in this month's Backloggin' the Year column. Oh do I have feelings.
  • Adriaan den OudenAdriaan den Ouden Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    havent updated in a while, but haven't beaten much either. two games.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC)
    Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (PC)
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited August 16
    Clix wrote: »
    Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4) via Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5 ReMix - 32 47 hours - Normal difficulty

I finally finished the first KH game. Yay. I mostly had fun, I guess. I planned to do more of postgame, but I am just not feeling it. The optional bosses just don't sound fun.

I had a bit of a change of heart (hehe) and decided to go through with the rest of the postgame, sans Gummi Ships. As such, I now have most trophies except for some of the Gummi Ship ones and the three challenge trophies (Proud Mode, Speed Run, and Initial Equipment). I may one day go back for the Platinum, but I wouldn't count on it like FFXII:TZA or ToB.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    At last, I beat another game this year! No, I don't know why it took this long.
    Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS)

I was initially hoping for a sequel as opposed to an "Overclocked" version of Radiant Historia, but this port makes that unnecessary in the best way possible. I'm not sure if the original had it so that getting the normal ending did not result in rolling credits, but I find it neat how the "good ending" and the new ending were extensions. It all wraps up the story very nicely. I love the voice acting, even when it oddly switched between fully-voiced characters and those who only spoke in single words and grunts. The changes to the battle system were neat as well. I only have some minor complaints about the game. It really is fantastic, and I'm glad for Perfect Chronology. :)
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

I'll catch up a bit. I finished Monster Hunter: World (PS4) a few weeks ago. I'd been hesitant about the series because I'd heard about similarities with Dark Souls's combat system, and I can only take so much of that, but this was much less cumbersome and awkward than Souls. The difficulty level hit a great place with a dash of rage-inducing frustration here and there to keep it real. I had fun and am still picking at the postgame hunts. Been using the insect glaive all game.

I went into World of Final Fantasy (PS4) with low expectations. I was surprised that I ended up enjoying it. The ending gameplay was a weird jump from dungeons that were too long to boss fights in cutscenes with no dungeon whatsoever, so it left me a little bored by then, but overall I had fun.

Assault Android Cactus (XBOne) was free a few weeks ago. My brother picked it up and we played it couch co-op before Summerslam last night. It was a mostly easy schmup we finished in a couple hours.