If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Personal Top Threes of 2017

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
With 2017 coming to a close, I asked the staff to share their favourite RPGs from the year. Here are the answers to this very loaded question.

Read On!

Comments

• Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Two things I learned:

- I have no idea what's going to win GotY.
    - RPGamer has the counting ability of King Arthur.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    2017 has A LOT of GotY candidates
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    I played an embarrassingly small number of games in 2017, including games released before 2017. When I did do any sort of gaming, I spent much of it on Pokemon Sun. Considering what an awesome year it was for gaming, I feel kind of ashamed.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Two things I learned:

Especially considering that a lot of us didn't have time to participate in this feature. This will be a fun GotY breakdown.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    Horizon Zero Dawn is probably my pick for game of the year, even if the soundtrack felt phoned-in, as seems to be the case with most Western RPG music.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Two things I learned:

Good thing none of us have a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, then.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Shocked that Horizon Zero Dawn got more votes for 1st place than either Persona 5 or Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I love Horizon Zero Dawn, but Persona 5 is just on a completely different level IMO. And Zelda is, well Zelda. I don't necessarily like it more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but it's clearly a great Zelda game and even mediocre Zelda games tend to get the rose-tinted glasses treatment. In another year I could easily see Horizon Zero Dawn taking the win, but for this year, I just don't get it.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    I didn't care much for Persona 5's narrative, but I did enjoy the gameplay aside from the annoying floor puzzles in the last dungeon or so that really marred already-sluggish pacing.
    Persona 5, Nier Automata, and Zelda are likely major favs out there. I see it like so...Persona 5 isn't as good as 4, Nier Automata isn't as good as Nier, and BotW isn't what I was looking for in a Zelda game. Just my thoughts. I didn't list my top picks yet, but spoiler for when I do.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 4
    Nier, Zelda, Yakuza 0 is probably my top three in that order.

I’m only about 10 hours in divinity so it’s an incomplete for me this year.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shocked that Horizon Zero Dawn got more votes for 1st place than either Persona 5 or Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I love Horizon Zero Dawn, but Persona 5 is just on a completely different level IMO. And Zelda is, well Zelda. I don't necessarily like it more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but it's clearly a great Zelda game and even mediocre Zelda games tend to get the rose-tinted glasses treatment. In another year I could easily see Horizon Zero Dawn taking the win, but for this year, I just don't get it.

I am not sure if these were necessarily ranked for everyone. Mine weren't in an order, just 3 I grabbed. I also haven't played Horizon yet. I did pick it up on BF sales, and also a PS4 Pro, so I will get the full treatment soon. BotW didn't really grab me after playing it an hour or so, will have to try to sink more time into it.
    You definitely should give it more time. An hour in I was wondering if I would hate it like I hated Ocarina of Time and lamenting that 3D Zeldas just aren't for me. My impression several hours later is far more positive. It may even turn out to be good enough to challenge Link to the Past for my favorite Zelda game. For me though, even my favorite Zelda games don't come to close to my top 10 list, so you can take that impression with a grain of salt.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    My top 3:
    ELEX
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Okami HD
    (I had to put it in there to actually get to three games.)

I have bought veyr many 2017 rpgs but haven't played any of them yet. Examples being Persona 5 and Nier: Automata.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Nim wrote: »
    My top 3:
    ELEX
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Okami HD
    (I had to put it in there to actually get to three games.)

I have bought veyr many 2017 rpgs but haven't played any of them yet. Examples being Persona 5 and Nier: Automata.

I also really enjoyed elex. The quests were very deep, and I liked the world and the lore. I’m sure part 2 will pretty much pick right up where this one left off.
  • MatejaMateja Full Members
    edited January 5
    for my own interest I have compiled an empirical list. only counted if they were in the top 3 multiple times and only counted single votes if they were in #1 spot

# of times listed.......Title

5..............................Persona 5
    3..............................Horizon Zero Dawn
    2..............................Yakuza Zero
    2..............................Divinity: Original Sin 2
    2..............................NieR: Automata
    2..............................Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    1..............................The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    1..............................The Alliance Alive

Persona always wins ... I have yet to play one looks goofy as hell to me. perhaps this could be the one i get into (is it ok to play as a newbie to the franchise? or do i have to play other Persona games first?). aaand sorry but BoTW goes at the top lol. kinda been wanting to play NieR. wish i could play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (yep. I play BoTW on wii U .... #winning). checking trailers for these others now :)

update: looked at these trailers. I remember horizon now. looks a lot like heavenly sword to me (somehow uninteresting despite how impressive it looks). yakuza doesn't look like an RPG to me. Divinity looks cliché. Alliance alive also cliché and I don't like RTS or w/e genre that is lol (except that one time in FFT on psx--didn't like the gba tactics). guess I already knew what's good lol (for my taste). made me wanna get a switch slightly more when i saw the Xenoblade chronicles 2 trailer again. and still ambivalent about trying to get into NieR. lol BoTW ftw I really need to finish it. maybe i'll get into xenoblade chronicles x afterwards lol.
    Mateja wrote: »
    for my own interest I have compiled an empirical list. only counted if they were in the top 3 multiple times and only counted single votes if they were in #1 spot

Persona always wins ... I have yet to play one looks goofy as hell to me. perhaps this could be the one i get into (is it ok to play as a newbie to the franchise? or do i have to play other Persona games first?). aaand sorry but BoTW goes at the top lol. kinda been wanting to play NieR. wish i could play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (yep. I play BoTW on wii U .... #winning). checking trailers for these others now :)

update: looked at these trailers. I remember horizon now. looks a lot like heavenly sword to me (somehow uninteresting despite how impressive it looks). yakuza doesn't look like an RPG to me. Divinity looks cliché. Alliance alive also cliché and I don't like RTS or w/e genre that is lol (except that one time in FFT on psx--didn't like the gba tactics). guess I already knew what's good lol (for my taste). made me wanna get a switch slightly more when i saw the Xenoblade chronicles 2 trailer again. and still ambivalent about trying to get into NieR. lol BoTW ftw I really need to finish it. maybe i'll get into xenoblade chronicles x afterwards lol.

Not in my top 3, but Horizon Zero Dawn is something special, especially for its world building and story. Maybe it doesn't come off as interesting from trailers, but man what a game, and what a way to (I assume) launch a new franchise. A few things hold it out of my top three, but only just.

as for the Yakuza comment... it may not LOOK it from the trailers but it is absolutely an RPG franchise, don't ignore it.
    sig.gif
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Persona 5, Nier Automata, and Zelda are likely major favs out there. I see it like so...Persona 5 isn't as good as 4, Nier Automata isn't as good as Nier, and BotW isn't what I was looking for in a Zelda game. Just my thoughts. I didn't list my top picks yet, but spoiler for when I do.

I think you mean "I see it like so...Persona 5 isn't a handheld game, Nier Automata isn't a handheld game, and BotW isn't what I was looking for in a handheld Zelda game."
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Macstorm wrote: »

I think you mean "I see it like so...Persona 5 isn't a handheld game, Nier Automata isn't a handheld game, and BotW isn't what I was looking for in a handheld Zelda game."

Nah, I played Persona 5 and Nier Automata using remote play quite a bit. :)
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    This year I enjoyed The Guided Fate Paradox and the Awakened Fate Sequel.
    I also liked Nier-Auto but I'm not done with it yet.
    Slayer wrote: »

Guided Fate Paradox! Love that game
    sig.gif
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Slayer wrote: »

My list was only based off the 2017 games I've finished. I'm not sure how much Horizon:ZD and NieR Automata would shake up my list if I'd finished them. I'm almost done with Mario + Rabbids and that might be in the running for top 5. Seriously, just too many good games this year.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Both Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey have that special "just one more" quality to them. "Just one more shrine/moon, and then I'll finally put this game down and do my work/do my chores/go to sleep, really I will.".
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

For what it's worth, The Alliance Alive is pure J-RPG. No tactical or RTS elements at all.

Persona always wins ...

Sure, Persona always wins if you go by your metric, but some people explicitly said that the first in their list was their number one choice. In fact, it was made clear in at least two of the Horizon Zero Dawn explanations that it was their number one choice. Horizon Zero Dawn is listed first in all three mentions. Persona 5 is listed first only twice. Granted, 3 first place votes for HZD compared to 2 first place votes + 3 other top 3 votes for P5, I would think that balances out to a win for P5, but it doesn't *necessarily* win no matter how you count it. Seems pretty obvious it's down to a fight between these two though. Besides, Persona deserves to always win. There's not been a game in the series (numbered, not spinoffs) since P3 that didn't deserve GOTY.

Not sure if this list is supposed to be trying to guess at the site's GotY, but it's missing a LOT of factors (and a ton of staff) as we don't just compile our top three picks and see which is top. We shall see soon.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    My personal top three for 2017 would be

Ys VIII
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    Persona 5

The last Ys game I'd played was book 1 and 2, so 8 really surprised me when I wasn't expecting much.
  • the23rdhourthe23rdhour New London, CT USAFull Members
    Top three RPGs:

Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Tales of Berseria
    Nights of Azure

I'm tempted to list Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd instead of Nights of Azure, but I'd really rather not list two games from the same series/milieu. That said, I did prefer the 3rd, but I also had much more fun with Azure than I'd anticipated. I can see how people had issues with NoA (I had to look past the absurd lesbian romance), but I also found the battle system to be surprisingly engaging once you're able to switch weapons and you have access to more Servans.

I'd also like to note that I feel much the same way that Adriaan does about Berseria - it did not quite oust Symphonia but it came surprisingly close. (I think if the dungeons were more compelling it would have, but outside of battles I found them to be pretty uninteresting for the most part.)

My non-RPG pick is no contest at all: Hollow Knight. It might be the best Metroidvania I've ever played. I agree that the backtracking can be a bit of an issue, especially when in the early game a bench ends up being sort of far away from a boss, but this is awfully minor. It's an otherwise fantastic experience.