If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 451: "Succumbed To The Cult Of Trails"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 451: "Succumbed To The Cult Of Trails"

It's a new year but it has the same old shenanigans. Not finishing games, PC hackers, getting distracted by shiny new toys, and Tarutaru addiction. So sit down, relax, make some tea, and warm up during the cold winter's chill by listening to this week's show. Maybe you can figure out how to get Chris to stop playing FFXI.

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Succumbed To The Cult Of Trails"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe on Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Inlodcf5muxdqt3obi7cnippbhm?t=RPG_Cast

Question of the Week:
What are your New Year's game goals for 2018?

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    My New Year goals basically concern games from last year or even earlier years. I'm not sure if there are any games I'm aware of yet that I'm excited for coming this year. Working on Zelda now. Still have to get back to Trails of Cold Steel. Might wait until they all come out and knock em out one after the other, but I might just finish the first up when I get a chance. Probably will want to play Super Mario Odyssey. I do want to circle back to Persona 5 to max out confidants, complete the compendium, and other things. Finish Memories of Celceta, I guess. That's a game that's decent, but I could live without finishing it. I'm interested in the Secret of Mana remake. That's all I really know for 2018.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    Long time no see Chris guys! My game goal for 2018 is to play a bunch of SNES RPGs that I have never played before. I've already finished Super Mario RPG and Dragon Quest I (the SNES remake). I'm currently FINALLY playing FFIV. No spoilers please. I've been comparing it to FFVI in my mind the entire time I've been playing it, but finally something happened in the story that's crazy enough to really get immersed. That graphics suck, though. Hahaha.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Xenoblade 2 I also had mixed feeling on. Sometimes I was in love with it, but also became frustrated with the battles at times. For a large chunk of the game, I don’t think the damage out put is as easy as it becomes later. You really need a few elemental burst and a full party gauge to win battles in a timely manner. This becomes easier late game, and very fuffiling on the big bosses. But there were sections where I was avoiding common mobs just because I didn’t want to do the whole motions over and over. It’s a beautiful flowing battle system when it works, but for a lot of the game it’s like trying to get the planets to align, and becomes to involving and repetitive for just the small battles.

Also you’re in trouble if the end game bosses survive your party guage combo, because bosses become harder the lower the hp are. So if they survive with 5 to 10% hp, they will use strong attacks that can wipe you out. And now you can’t revive since you used your guage, so you must restart the battle if your main character drops and the Ai can’t heal.

But in the end I played it an ungodly amount of hours and beat it with zero regrets, and will have fond memories of it I’m sure. Long post but I had to get that out.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    #1 New Year's video game goal: Complete each of the seven different possible Word of Warcraft Mage Tower solo challenges before the next WoW expansion trivializes them and removes their reward. This involves playing three characters, since each character can only attempt three different challenges. I've got two challenges down so far.

#2 New Year's video game goal: Play through my Switch and PS4 backlog.

#3 New Year's video game goal: try not to spend too much money buying new games that I won't get around to playing until 2019 or later. It'll happen anyway, but 2018 is a good year to slow it down.

As an avid WoW pet battler, I know EXACTLY which battles Kelley was talking about when she said that the only way to get certain WoW pet battle achievements is "bring this specific team and pray for good RNG". More specifically, it's "bring this specific team, follow a guide step by step, and pray for good RNG".

In my opinion, the people who created those step-by-step guides for certain atrocious WoW achievement pet battles deserve to be honored as video game saints. Those guides were the only way I could get the achievement. It took about 10-15 minutes per problematic pet battle to get favorable RNG.

95% of the WoW achievement pet battles aren't that bad. It's the awful 5% that kind of ruins it.

I suspect that the pet battles technically were beta tested, but tagged "not a bug" or "will not fix" by the development team, since they're busy working on the next expansion.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    - Try to keep my Fire Emblem Heroes spending at its current level (current spend: $6 actual cash + $100 in credit from my carrier when I upgraded my phone)
    - Finish Xenoblade 2
    - And...
    - ...uh...
    - ...that's it.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Familiar Change Administrators
    edited January 12
    My utmost gaming goal this year is a simple one: play and beat at least 10 games. I spent so little time playing games last year that it's kind of embarrassing.

Another goal would be to finish Tokyo Mirage Session #FE.

A loftier goal would be to finish TMS and Xenoblade 2 before Fire Emblem Switch and The World Ends with You Final Remix are released. Beating either or both of those before 2019 would be great as well.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Being the retrogamer I am, I plan to continue my Dragon Quest Trek this year, knocking out two more games in the series. I'm also firing up Romancing SaGa 2, which recently dropped on the Switch. My 'modern game guilty pleasure' of 2018, Monster Hunter Worlds, will consume my PS4 time. KITTIES FTW!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!