If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fourth Growlanser Title Set for Winter

AraesAraes MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
Well, if Working Designs stays healthy or Atlus decides to grant us a boon, we might actually get a chance to play this. ?For now though, the news of a fourth Growlanser is welcome to importers and Japanese residents alone.

Read all about it here

Comments

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2003
    The game sounds interesting. ?I wonder what the game will look like, though.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Hm...well, I'd like to play the other Growlanser games as well.. wasn't Working Designs about to transalte them a while ago? It never happened..
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • AraesAraes Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Last I heard was the news from E3 which said that prior to E3 they had been in legal negotiations with Sony because Sony objected to the graphics. Since then they apparently straightened out the conflict. However, they ominously said that some people might not be pleased with the outcome.

Anyhow, there's my personal knowledge of the subject. Roughly the equivalent of a google search and looking at our own site. tounge.gif
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    On the forums at the Working Designs website, President Victor Ireland said in a thread that Growlanser 2 is complete and Growlanser 3 is having some issues worked out. He said that they will soon be submitted to their resident RPG Critic for review and we should hear something about their release soon. Now, depending on your definition of "soon," we'll just have to see what happens. But he has confirmed that they *will* release. They just didn't want to post dates for them like they have in the past and then have to delay and delay while they work out the bugs. This way, they haven't committed themselves to a date that won't pan out until they can be absolutely certain about one.
    edited July 2003
    According to Working Design's website, their last release was over a year ago. ?How the hell are they still able to stay in business when they haven't put out a new in over one year? ?How is the company still afloat?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Considering the other two games will probably never get released (exaggeration from me) , it's kind of nice to know I can get started with a new title that starts from scratch. This is a good idea and I have my eye on this game. Atlus tends to make fun strategy/RPGs.

Has anyone ever played the japanese versions? Were they any good?
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2003
    God, talk about judging books by their covers. Graphics are one of the *last* things folks look at when contemplating buying games. Some time ago, I saw a poll at GameFAQs that asked the main criteria people used when deciding to buy games, and about two thirds, yours truly included, said "Gameplay."

On the topic of another game's failure to cross the Pacific, I heard that there were folks at Namco U.S. that really wanted to see the real Tales of Destiny 2 in the States, only to be flogged by SCEA because of the game's graphics.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"God, talk about judging books by their covers. Graphics are one of the *last* things folks look at when contemplating buying games. Some time ago, I saw a poll at GameFAQs that asked the main criteria people used when deciding to buy games, and about two thirds, yours truly included, said "Gameplay."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, that's true, but sometimes there are reasons to play games just for the graphics. Look at my reasoning in the Baldur's Gate 2 new media thread. It should be on RPGamer's home page.
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has anyone ever played the japanese versions? Were they any good?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Growlanser 2 is pretty good, slightly better than Growlanser 3 (I'm not a fan of the ring weapon system...). The first Growlanser is, by far, the best game in the series though.
  • Liquid IceLiquid Ice Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Wow, I have been looking at those games since 2001.....one is finaly comin out here? if so good.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2003
    It will never be in America at this rate.TOP2 never was released here either. sad.gif
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited July 2003
    Looks like we can forget about those Phantasy Star remakes, too, if SCEA keeps up its anti-2D ways.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2003
    What SCEA stand for? Well I have not choise but to buy it imported.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited July 2003
    Sony Computer Entertainment Association, the ultimate judge of whether or not certain PS2 games will be released.
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Otterland @ July 11 2003)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Looks like we can forget about those Phantasy Star remakes, too, if SCEA keeps up its anti-2D ways.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And yet they allowed Disgaea to come over to our side of the Pacific. ?That stance of theirs makes no fugging sense to me. ?I don't see why they would deny a game's acceptence on such over such an arbritrary reason. ?I sincerely doubt that Tales of Destiny 2(JP) would hurt the PS2's image.

One more thing. ?It's Sony Computer Entertainment of America, not association.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited July 2003
    I stand corrected.
  • borgorborgor New Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    even here there are not too much people who've played any of those games...too bad
    the first Growlanser game is definitely a must buy while the two others are just ok games
    and of course that's those WD choose to bring here (well since the first game contains as much text and spoken dialogues as the two others reunited it would have taken forever for them to translate anyway -_- )