If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Darkest Dungeon Hits Switch Next Week

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
The Direct video didn't cover all of the recent RPG Switch announcements. Red Hook Studios also separately provided a release date for Darkest Dungeon.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    Are Switch owners in to games that punish them like Darkest Dungeon? I put up with some pretty tough games but I had to quit this after the "war of attrition" for money became unbearable. In about 50 hours of time nearly 30 was spent trying to make enough money to upgrade anything that allowed me to advance. Then RNG kills me. Good stuff.

I'm also going to say that there's, what, three games on Switch that make the console? They better step it up. Seems like most of the games on Switch can be purchased on other systems for a lot less or they've been on sale for up to 50% off or more.
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    edited January 12
    From what I understand, they have added some patches to make things a little bit more tolerable with some past updates. I remember having the same issue when I first played (On the PS4), but since going back to it I'm doing much better. It is still an extremely grindy game though, which is why I haven't completed it yet.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    UltraKev9 wrote: »
    Are Switch owners in to games that punish them like Darkest Dungeon? I put up with some pretty tough games but I had to quit this after the "war of attrition" for money became unbearable. In about 50 hours of time nearly 30 was spent trying to make enough money to upgrade anything that allowed me to advance. Then RNG kills me. Good stuff.

I'm also going to say that there's, what, three games on Switch that make the console? They better step it up. Seems like most of the games on Switch can be purchased on other systems for a lot less or they've been on sale for up to 50% off or more.

Presumably if you're buying a switch its for one or all of those games (more than 3 also, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Arms) Everything else is icing on the cake. All the indie stuff is launching at the same price it has elsewhere, but it is new on the switch so yes they haven't had sales yet, and yeah stuff like Skyrim and Doom you're paying extra for the novelty of portable versions pretty much. The idea that the system needs to "step it up" is ridiculous when you consider it has the best first year of exclusives ever combined nearly all the indie selection available elsewhere now on the eshop.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • UltraKev9UltraKev9 Demi-Plane of Semi HemispheresFull Members
    I would love to see how many people bought the Switch as their first foray in to this current generation of consoles. Probably close to zero. Therefore, buying most of the already released indie stuff on Switch when it's available on the other consoles for a lot less is silly and not to mention the other systems are clearly more powerful. The Switch is interesting but the graphics are not on par with older systems, the controllers seem cheap and uncomfortable compared to older systems and I can't remember the last time I wanted to undock a PS4/PS3/360/X1 game and take it with me.

As for Darkest Dungeon I'd have to say the best system to buy it on would be PC since it can be modded. I got it for PS4 and that probably had something to do with my lack of desire to continue. I could always get it again from Steam or GoG or whatever. Seems like the best reason to get a Switch would be to play the old NES/SNES games that I have to use emulators for and are tough to find copies of.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    However, I have bought games on Switch over other platform already simply for the appeal of handheld mode (and being able to switch between them immediately) :) Also indie games are probably not going to be the ones where there's a notable graphical difference.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 14
    Let’s just say this, I never owned a vita, so this is my first handheld that I feel like really has some power and beautiful screen. I once posted I don’t understand buying indies on the vita at a higher price. Well now I do, because spending an extra bit and playing some of this stuff at work is just so nice and worth the portable tax. But I probably wouldn’t think that if my current job didn’t allow me a few hours of switch every day.