If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack Episode 182: Hearts of Graces

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Tales games just keep coming, and a couple of more recent ones come under the microscope today. One was embraced by almost everyone while the other comes with many more reservations.
First of 2018!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    My most striking memory of Hearts R was that I played it after the two Danganronpa games came out on Vita and wondering why they kept the "Despir" typo in.

Both titles reside in the Tales backlog that I'm apparently going to take to my grave. It'd be even longer if they actually put Tales of the Abyss 3DS out on the eShop (even if early game Luke is an insufferable dolt).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    My memories of Hearts R are hazy; like the panel, I remember enjoying the combat, but essentially nothing from the story has stuck with me. Enjoyed what I played, didn't finish it, don't feel too inclined to go back.

Graces has always sounded like one of the better Tales games, and I own it on PS3, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it. Maybe there will be a PC port that will give me a second chance on a modern platform to try it?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    When Hearts R came out, Wheels did a small give away on twitter, where he sent out copies of the original DS import to two people who bought Hearts R. Being one of the two winners, I got the opportunity to play both games side by side. My thoughts are in the 2015 completed game thread and possibly the what your playing from around that time, but I remember rather liking both of them for different reasons. Very good game.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 21
    The character upgrade system in graces was probably the best I’ve seen in a jrpg. You had all those different titles to choose from, and it really gave you the choice on how far you wanted to take a character in any one direction at the expense of other areas. Shame they really took a step backwards on every tales since, particularly zesteria’s convoluted system.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »
    (even if early game Luke is an insufferable dolt).

I mean, him being an insufferable dolt, like it or love it, is extremely important to the plot.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif