If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 61: Metal Maxed - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Mr. Baker becomes a full member of the team in order to add more SaGa and Metal Max to future episodes. We also discuss everything from Monster Hunter to Mugen Souls.

Episode 61: Metal Maxed - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 7
    Speaking of ni no Kuni, should rpgs get rid of forced stealth sections?

Which game do you think has the worst case of “villain only shows up right at the end”

Do you feel ff2 was important in the grand scope of final fantasies’ willingness to change and experiment?
    As for vita games, I’ve never actually even held a vita. I can only recommend stuff that was released else where.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I can give an anti-recommendation (as in, avoid like the plague) for Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls if only for Chapter 3.

An odd duck that definitely came out in Japan and would be worth looking into on Vita is Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Speaking as a gamer who hates roguelikes, Time Stalkers was a roguelike that was so much fun I didn't realize it was a roguelike until I finished it.

Time Stalkers isn't as brutally hard as most roguelikes; there's no permadeath; characters keep equipped items even if there's a party wipe; and it's possible to level up "titles" for each party member, an improvement that remains permanent even though character levels are set to 1 every time they enter a dungeon. There was also more JRPG story than most roguelikes get.

Time Stalkers just doesn't deserve all the hate it gets to this day. The worst thing I can say about it is that some bug in the game locked me out of recruiting a minor optional monster, in spite of following a FAQ step-by-step.

Land Stalker, on the other hand, has an infuriating control system where the D-pad does not simply move the character in the indicated direction. Instead, there is a more complicated input system to do something as basic as MOVE in an action-RPG with required platforming.
    edited February 9
    Which games come to mind when you hear the phrase “tale of two halves”? Where the first half of the game is widely different than what comes next gameplay wise or themeatically.

If you could theoretically have any complete collect of a game series for the ps4 or switch, which would you take?

At this moment, which franchise do you feel square holds more value in, dragon quest or final fantasy?

With technology advancing, and cases where it’s already happening, can you envision a future for games that are billed as staring a certain actor or actress? Sort of like a movie, where the main character is played by someone? I wonder if this will just be a niche thing, or if it will take off and become super common. (Nic cage starting in ff20)

How do you feel about the concept of good and bad endings?
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hmm, Vita recommendations... I know Wheels said to keep it to one, but how about three and I avoid any Visual Novels, deal? Deal.

1) LOH: Trails in the Sky Evolution - not sure if Mr. Baker has played any of the Trails games, but if not I have to do my bit of Trails evangelism. These are fantastic JRPGs that capture a lot of the charm of games from earlier eras. Plus, since he speaks Japanese, he gets the benefit of the best version of the games with voice acting and if he likes them, there are seven Trails games on the Vita.

2) Gravity Rush - Not technically an RPG (well, it kinda skirts the line; has a lot of RPG elements), nor is it Japan-only, but it is the best game on the platform. Beautiful design, great story and characters, and a technical marvel with what they managed to pull off on that platform. The combat may not mesh with everyone, but its such a good game that everyone should at least give it a try.

3) Girls und Panzer: Senshado, Kiwamemasu! (this one's totally not an RPG)- All right, a left-field recommendation for the sheer bizareness of it. This is an anime tie-in game that is an action based tank game. I got into this not because of the anime, but I read a positive import review of the game and the story of the game tracks the story of the anime so I could follow what was going on even though the game is in Japanese. It turned out that I liked the game as well as the underlying anime.
    The game exists in an alternate timeline...future...it's not exactly clear. Anyway, in this vision of Earth, high-school girls have lots of options for after-school activities like band, flower-arranging, and Tankery. Yes, Tankery where they form teams of WW II era tanks and go out and shoot live ammunition at one another, trying to disable the other team's tanks and win matches. It's Japan at it's most wonderfully bizarre. None of this craziness is ever really explained or justified; you're just supposed to enjoy the crazy ride. The gameplay was actually a lot of fun, if you like those sorts of action games.

Wow, I got distracted there, you do questions on the show right?

Hmm, just how badly did Yakuza 0 get robbed in the GOY voting and why haven't more people played these awesome games?

Heck, in the spirit of high school girls conducting tank warfare, what is the craziest twist or gimmick you've seen in an RPG?