If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - The Longest 5 Minutes

severinmiraseverinmira Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
edited February 10 in Latest Updates
Of all the times in an RPG to suffer a bout of amnesia, right at the start of the final boss battle is probably the most problematic. Nevertheless, that's what the hero in The Longest 5 Minutes has to deal with.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• OtterFaceOtterFace Loserface Loserface Loserface sockpuppet theatreFull Members
    I somewhat adhere to the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) philosophy when it comes to RPGs, so I'd probably like this more than the reviewer did.
  • oldmanbaloldmanbal Full Members
    I feel like this review is a little too spoiler forward. While I don't agree with a lot of the content you choose to include, It does give a more than fair representation of what to expect from this game.

thank you
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    This does totally spoil the final boss! Dang, man!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    I'm thinking something got lost in translation so just to clarify: the game starts at the final boss, all the stuff mentioned about it is the entire game's premise. That screenshot is the final boss and was taken in the first minute of the game.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    So a game that's less than 20 hours long and looks like it's made with RPGmaker despite being developed by a major game developer is going for $40? You can't put indie level effort into your game and then expect people to pay full price because you're a recognized developer. Plus based on your description of the gameplay, it sounds like the selling point is really the premise/dialogue. This game sounds like it might be fun, but the sticker price is insulting. Insulting enough that I might not even buy it on sale because it just reminds me of how much I hate NIS. I'm sure you guys don't put price into your consideration of score, but for me I would dock points from a score for a game that looks like it should sell at an indie price tag, but actually sells as a full price game.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Price fluctuates so much and means different things to different people, so we opted long ago never to factor in price in our reviews so that readers can make that judgment themselves.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited February 14
    That's fair. It's definitely not an easy thing to gauge and certainly subjective, but I know I have different expectations for a $10 or $15 and for a $40 or $60 game. It's hard for me not to consider price as a factor, considering that I can think of some really fun $10 games that I would like to consider "above average," but the lack of content would make me consider them a complete ripoff at a higher price point. Ultimately then, I would have to either rate pretty much all $10 indie games poorly if I judged them by the same standard as full price games or simply never consider the amount of content in game as a factor by which to judge it. Neither of those seem like tenable positions to me, so I generally judge by roughly two sorts of standards depending on price range.

Basically I mentioned this because I just went over to the PS store, saw that it was like $40, and my reaction was "WTF? I guess it must be a long adventure. It had better be." Came back here, checked the review again and saw it was under 20 and doubly went WTF. Also, noticed it was NIS, when I initially though it was indie, so I flipped out.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.