If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Secret of Mana Remake Arrives for PC, PS4, Vita

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
Secret of Mana's remake is now available on PC, console, and handheld in North America and Europe. Its release comes with some launch media.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited February 16
    After about 6 hours

-very true to the original

-combat is the same way it was, with animations and attacks not always feeling as if they connect. True to snes in this regard

-greatly expanded dialog and character development, because you get skits when you rest at the inn.

-bosses are easier, slightly better hitboxes. Along with little need to grind and a better dash button, I feel like I’m halfway through the game before I could even blink. It was never a long game to begin with.

-I’m not a huge fan of the art style, but I think it’s a mixed bag. The main character models and voice acting is decent, but the npc can feel lazy. Music can be changed back to original. If only they had soften the edges and colors a tad, it would have helped.

-multiple graphical bugs, all happening when I loaded auto saves.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Are you sure they're easier? Bosses in the original are already incredibly easy because most of them can be beaten by just spamming their magic weakness.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    however download the update to the game ASAP some players have had the game crash way too often the only way around that is it install the patch/update to the game before playing it.
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Crashes? Oh boy. I hope my copy is more stable.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Haven't hit any crashes 5 plus hours in
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    I had mine crash once during the mech rider boss fight. But it autosaves so often it wasn’t as issue.
    edited February 17
    Are you sure they're easier? Bosses in the original are already incredibly easy because most of them can be beaten by just spamming their magic weakness.

To the point where I’m wondering if I remember correctly, because melee feels really worthless at the moment. I maybe under leveled, but the regular enemies started getting annoying, but bosses could still be nuked down. Im at the pure lands in 11 hours, so maybe I was rushing it. Need to grind a bit for the gold to buy the final set of equipment.
    Yeah that sounds like you've done zero grinding. Honestly not sure how well that would work out in the original because I never tried. I imagine the biggest limiting factor would be no grinding would prevent you from keeping your armor up with the current level. As I recall, having the best armor avialable at the time can be quite important in the original.
    The mp is refilled at every level up, so I haven’t had any issue with staying stocked on items and casting attack spells at everything. With the spells being on a one button shortcut now, it’s so easy to just fireball everything you see.
    Um....sounds like mp is significantly more plentiful then.
    It is once you learn MP absorb if your not close to leveling but that spell is still one of the very last ones useable.

As the the Pure lands in the original Level 60 party members ALL with the last set of buyable equipment is a must without those armors not even level 60 party members will survive since just 1 hit will hit for like 350 to 400 damage per physical hit IN 1 hit.
    Yes. That's spefically why I remember armor being so important in SOM. Although ultimately my brother and I barreled our way through the pure lands.
    As for the game crashing it doesn't matter which version your playing both the physical discs PS4 AND the PSN version on the PS4 that can happen even WITH the 1.01 patch update pre-installed once you install the game onto the PS4.

So until another update to the game gets released the crashing of the game can not be negated at a 100% rate of that never happening and yes the grand palace armors are a must else the Pure lands enemies will kill you in 1 hit and that includes all 8 bosses their.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    There is also the Vita version.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I must have been odd cause I swear my copy of SoM on SNES allowed for 9 items
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited February 18
    You too? I thought it was 8. Now I'm wishing I'd played closer attention last summer when I messed around with it a bit, just so I could be sure. A limitation of four on each item feels... limited.

Also, no crashing at all in my version, though whether that's because it's on the Vita or because it's a physical cartridge, I can't say.
    Believe me, with more than 4 the game would be totally broken. It's really pretty easy to begin with. If you could have 9 walnuts you could magic your way through everything, I reckon. Sounds like you can in this remake anyway.
    To be fair I may also be mixing it up with memories of Children of Mana, played last December, wherein your backpack starts out with 8 per item, later upgrading to 12 and then 24.
    Only had 1 crash. Really liked the ability to cast spells with the shoulder buttons.
    edited February 19
    Spoiler:
    Snes game max 4 items normally but if you do the infinite gold glitch then after using the glitch you could carry up to 8 copies of 1 item at once but i don't recommend doing that since the infinite gold trick can make the game unbeatable by turning required key items into healing items so if you turned the flammie drum into a healing item on the snes version via glitches it would be impossible to beat the game. I'm still having the game crash even with the 1.01 update pre installed so until another update gets made the games crash rate won't be reduced to not ever crashing at all.
    Maybe don't try to use cheap completely unnecessary cheats and your game will be fine.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    I've had mine crash at least once. Anyway..I'm to the Upper Land right now.

I can say, if you didn't like Secret of Mana before, this remake won't change your mind. But I'm happy with it, other than the crashes..I hope they fix that, for other than that it's been quite enjoyable. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    I never used the infinate gold bug in SoM.
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

I'm sure most people haven't, but VeghEsther has a habit of trying to maximize everything and assuming that others want to and care about the nitty gritty of such things.
    edited February 19
    Spoiler:
    I didn't need to use the gold bug in the snes version but still if you do use the bug it could possibly make the game unbeatable if the bug turns the flammie drum into a healing item which would make it impossible to summon it.
    One thing I’ve seen people complain about, and even one reviewer take issue with, was not knowing with characters menu ring you were using. Since this version doesn’t pop up over their head but just in the center of the screen. I didn’t notice it at first, but the color of the cursor changes depending on which character it is. Randi is blue, Primm pink, and sprite green.
    Secret of Mana sucks because you could only get 4 Cups of Wishes. No matter how many shops I went to, the max always stayed at four. Four! Damn you, Square! This is the worst game ever. Even in the remake they only extend it to 12, so I won't touch the remake. I'll only play games where you can get 99 Cups of Wishes, or better yet, infinite.
    Secret of Mana sucks because you could only get 4 Cups of Wishes. No matter how many shops I went to, the max always stayed at four. Four! Damn you, Square! This is the worst game ever. Even in the remake they only extend it to 12, so I won't touch the remake. I'll only play games where you can get 99 Cups of Wishes, or better yet, infinite.

Not sure if joking, or mocking. If mocking, well played LG, well played
    sig.gif

Can't it be both?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Post of the year candidate
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif