If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - Monster Hunter: World

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
Capcom hopes to convince the entire world to jump into its Monster Hunter franchise with this latest release. We tackle the biggest, baddest dragons this side of the Ancient Forest to bring you our take on Monster Hunter: World.

[ Review ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I really feel the combat at its core, is better here than ever before. It feels so smooth and polished. The added animations of the monsters and characters help in this regard.
  • ArckadiusArckadius Dark Knight CanadaFull Members
    Trying to play through the story with friends kind of ruined the experience for me. The way they stop people from playing together is nonsense.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Arckadius wrote: »
    Trying to play through the story with friends kind of ruined the experience for me. The way they stop people from playing together is nonsense.
    It really is stupid, that they need to wait until the cutscene is seen, and then join from there. If they aren't in contact with you during it, they won't know when that happens.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Arckadius wrote: »

Indeed. It's odd design decisions/shortcoming like this that kept it from the coveted 5/5 score in my books. With that said, many of these things, eventually go away, or you just learn to work around them. Ultimately, the story missions/mode is a very small part of the game. If it was the focus, this would have been a bigger blow. Investigations comprise the vast majority of missions I play with my friends. Occasionally, we do have a bud who struggles with a tough story mission fight. We now know to hang loose until he actually gets to the start of the fight (where it usually says that you can send the SOS flare). At the point, we can join from the quest board (you can actually see it light up if you have it open at the time). I normally peruse the blacksmith, searching for my next upgrade, while I wait. Regardless, it's a wee irritating while working your way up.

To make matters more difficult, when you play with 2 players, most of the fights actually take longer. It seems the monsters get 2-3 times / health in Multiplayer, regardless of whether it is 2 players, or 4. While you get to keep your palico buds with 2 players, they simply do not make up the DPS of another player. This becomes an issue with tougher fights that push the clock...or those instances where it gives the boss enough time to cart y'all thrice. It's evil and made for some frustrating moments.

With ALL that said, (and there are a few other things I could pick on here), I really, really had a great time. Even on the rare occasion where the Multiplayer frustrated me, or I wasted time because a mechanic/quest/etc wasn't properly explained... my buds and I kept coming back for more. We simply couldn't get enough. For everything this game screws up, it gets 5 things better/right.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    What I like best about this game so far is that we are not fighting to save the world. We are explorers, finding out just how the world works. It gives such a refreshing sense of discovery. Too bad multiplayer functionalities is so clunky.
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    The only game I ever played where grinding did not feel like a chore, but an enjoyable experience, especially with friends.