If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Tales of Hearts R - Review

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
Here's a Tales game that gets reactions all across the spectrum, though few would say it's among the finest entries of the series. How it comes across today can only be learned by looking at the review.
People in cold climates routinely wear revealing clothes, right?
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I played this just a few years ago and reading the review I realized...There was an empire??? That story has completely faded from my memory, but I do remember having fun with the combat. One of those games I faded on halfway through, but mostly enjoyed playing it.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited February 19
    This seemed okay to me, except normal mode got kind of crazy difficult way too early (I would have accepted the difficulty spike late or even midgame, but it was pretty early and made me switch to easy for a boss). I stopped soon after that, partly because easy tends to be too easy and I don't really like it when normal gets crazy hard and I'm stuck choosing between excessive grinding and frustrating battles or just breezing through by pressing a single button. So mostly I felt like I had to level a lot going back to normal and didn't feel like it. That was a few years back, so I don't quite remember but I think it was hard enough that I questioned whether it was an auto-lose battle until I got game over. I often find that Tales games push the challenge balance a bit too high though. Perhaps because I've never really mastered their battle systems. Tales of Destiny had the perfect challenge balance for me, which is just one of the reasons its my favorite. Tales of Eternia, which was confusingly named Tales of Destiny 2 over here, on the other hand is the perfect example of them going overboard; even regular battles were tough, I ended up cheating and it still was kind of hard - plus the final boss requires some precise timing thing so I never finished. It doesn't seem like this one was that bad, but it was still a problem for me.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    edited February 19
    Spoiler:
    Despite that the game is only translated via the in game menu's namco kept all the voice acting in the north american version still in Japanese only similar to tales of destiny on the ps1 that game uses Japanese voices only as well.
    Tales of Destiny doesn't really have voice acting, except if you count in battle sound effects.
    edited February 19
    Spoiler:
    I still do and the in battle tales of destiny PS1 version is all in Japanese in fact when Stahn uses Missile sword in the USA version of ToD his voice actor shouts out the Japanese name Majiken every time its used.

As of Tales of Eternia i easily beat the final boss and if Reid isn't set to the 1 player slot the final boss never actually uses that automatic game over move at all.
    That would have been nice to know like 16 years ago.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    edited February 19
    As someone who is trying to get caught up with Tales, I can understand the futility of the undertaking. I am only slightly over half way. At this point, of the US releases, I am just missing Legendia, Hearts, Destiny, and Eternia. The rest will need to be emulated, assuming that they have completed fan translations. That said, given how gimped the PS1 releases were, I may be better off emulating them too--that and the sheer cost of buying copies theses days.

I cannot say that I am at all hyped for Hearts. Nothing about it sounds compelling. In terms of premises, I am really only interested in Destiny and Innocence. Like catching up with Zelda games, Tales is definitely slipped back to the back burner. After Xillia 2, Zestiria, and Berseria in just one year, I may take some time off for the series, unless a new title should drop stateside this year (doubtful).
    ClixPsi.png
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 19
    I enjoyed Tales of Hearts R, though can certainly understand why many would consider it to be mediocre, however (I was one of those who couldn't actually remember any specifics about the plot). When I played it was a bit burnt out on the changes that Xillia et al. brought in. Had plonked it and was quite happy to return to something that was a bit more like the previous few games in terms of gameplay aspects like the world map and general setting stuff.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Clix wrote: »
    As someone who is trying to get caught up with Tales, I can understand the futility of the undertaking. I am only slightly over half way. At this point, of the US releases, I am just missing Legendia, Hearts, Destiny, and Eternia. The rest will need to be emulated, assuming that they have completed fan translations. That said, given how gimped the PS1 releases were, I may be better off emulating them too--that and the sheer cost of buying copies theses days.

I cannot say that I am at all hyped for Hearts. Nothing about it sounds compelling. In terms of premises, I am really only interested in Destiny and Innocence. Like catching up with Zelda games, Tales is definitely slipped back to the back burner. After Xillia 2, Zestiria, and Berseria in just one year, I may take some time off for the series, unless a new title should drop stateside this year (doubtful).
    If you were to choose one to take next time, I suggest Legendia. While the gameplay is okay-ish, the characters, locations, and music make that game. Also, possibly look at getting a PAL version of Eternia for PSP if possible, it may be easier (and less expensive) to acquire than an NA version of the PS1 edition.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited February 20

If you were to choose one to take next time, I suggest Legendia. While the gameplay is okay-ish, the characters, locations, and music make that game. Also, possibly look at getting a PAL version of Eternia for PSP if possible, it may be easier (and less expensive) to acquire than an NA version of the PS1 edition.

Legendia is basically at the top of the list due to the ease of getting it. It's still very affordable and was even pretty easy to find in game stores until relatively recently. Looks like Eternia PSP won't break the bank, but it is still pretty pricey. Better than the alternative. I think that I will get back to Tales next year. I also want to sit down and replay Berseria (and finish Platinum'ing it) and then replay Vesperia so that I can definitively decide which of the two I love more.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MyopicMirrorMyopicMirror Full Members
    edited February 20
    I imported and played Tales of Eternia ages ago, it's been too long for me to remember the specifics, but certain copies had a game breaking bug in it. At least, my copy would always crash just before a certain boss fight and I had to find save data that was right after the boss, so I never even got to fight it. I wanna say my copy was from Australia? Kinda killed the joy for me and I don't remember much else about the game now. The copy was brand new, so there were no scratches.

Edit: Ok, so it was right after the boss fight that the game would crash, not before! http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/56859
    edited February 20
    Spoiler:
    As for legendia IMHO its 1 of the worst games I played not because its too easy even on easy mode its that despite that its cooking system IS useful its cooking system still sucks once you make 10 TOTAL food items (later on 40) you can't make ANY more food items at all unlike Abyss/Phantasia/Eternia where you can cook a infinite amount of times as long as you have the required items to do so.

Yes that Eternia glitch is the so called Volt boss fight glitch where the game on certain UMD versions of the game itself would crash after beating that boss but for me my European PSP copy of Eternia that I still own is glitch free.

Why would a game be bad because it's easy even on easy mode? Regardless, your reason is almost the most superficial I can think of. I mean, it's not quite as bad as complaining because you don't like the number of HPs the main character has at max level, but still.
    edited February 21
    Spoiler:
    No Legendia isn't bad because of easy mode its bad because the cooking System SUCKS because of the 10 dish carrying limit at the start of the game once you make 10 food items in total you can't cook anymore.

Where as in Eternia/Symphonia/Phantasia/Abyss cooking is infinite as long as you have the correct items and is not limited to making only 10 total recipes when you cook.

So while Legendia's recipes are useful the 10 total cooking limit for me is why the game itself totally sucks especially for long dungeons that once you start those area's you can't leave the entire dungeon once you use up all 10 currently made recipes.

But even for the food upgrade has of the max 40 limit once you can make 40 dishes in total it still sucks if you do do up all 40 food recipes BUT are in a area that requires to complete that area when you can't go back to the closest town after using up those recipes.

So for me the best tales of games cooking wise are pretty much every tales of game that isn't legendia as the best ones to play when it comes to cooking.

I don't really see cooking as a particularly important or noteworthy part of any Tales game, but I'm not sure I understand your complaint. Are you really complaining that there's a max number of cooked foods you can hold at one time or are you saying that you can literally only cook 10 times in the game period and then you're done for the whole game?
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    With anyone else, I'd think they were taking a... well, joking. But this is Vegh here. We all know he's seriously rating the games of this series by the ease and convenience of their (helpful but largely superfluous) cooking systems.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I like you vegh, but you will hate a game to the point of never touching it over some small things. Makes me wonder how you ever find games you can enjoy.
    To be honest, I almost never even bother with cooking in Tales games. I only put in the effort in Berseria since it was part of Velvet's character side quest line.
    ClixPsi.png
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    To be honest, I almost never even bother with cooking in Tales games. I only put in the effort in Berseria since it was part of Velvet's character side quest line.

Yeah it varies game to game. The first xillia game I felt like it was really important, but most of them it’s such a small mechanic that it doesn’t matter.
    edited February 21
    Spoiler:
    The max food for cooking you can carry AT once in Legendia is only 10 in total for most of the game and because of that I find its cooking system to be totally useless despite that some of the recipes DO restore 50% HP or TP or BOTH 50% HP and TP at once.

Where as in other Tales of games like Eternia/Abyss/Symphonia you can cook any food items any amount of times as long as you have enough required items to do so.

The only other tales of game when cooking sucks is the GBA/PS1/PSP versions of Tales of phantasia and that's because theirs only a single recipe that restores 100% HP and TP both at once (but the main item) needed to make that recipe costs 80,000 gald to to buy it but the game itself only allows you to only carry 1 copy of that 80,000 gald item.

Its just that all other Tales of phantasia recipes don't actually restore up to 25% HP TP or both at once making those other recipes in game totally useless.

I played Xillia and while in that game you can really only cook once its cooking system is still better then Legendia's since the special effects of the recipes could still last for like 10 to 20 total battles.
  • Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: Kirin Administrators
    I think the validity of most people finding Tales of Hearts R forgettable is amply demonstrated by how people want to talk about plenty of other entries from the series instead of it right now. I should treasure this period when I actually remember most of what transpired, because it clearly won't last long.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    This is my obligated post recommending people import and try the original DS version
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    My obligatory post concurring. I actually liked it more than most Tales games (admittedly limited experience, though). Then again, I also was not dealing with any localization effort outside my own head and the battle system was primarily two-dimensional. Your mileage will vary.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
    edited February 22
    Spoiler:
    I played the DS version of hearts I find the R version SO much better mostly because hearts DS works similar to the crappy way you learn spells in legendia the only difference is that in legendia learning spells is automatically done as soon as you collect the exact number of required items to be dropped to learn any spell in hearts DS you need to manually use up the items itself and some of those items can be rare item drops.

What I did like about Hearts DS not the R version is no random battles at all fights that are non bosses are all fixed enemy icon battles on screen similar to Symphonia/Abyss.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    smacd wrote: »
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    I think the validity of most people finding Tales of Hearts R forgettable is amply demonstrated by how people want to talk about plenty of other entries from the series instead of it right now. I should treasure this period when I actually remember most of what transpired, because it clearly won't last long.

Personally I found that I considered HeartsDS/HeartsR (which I played at the same time) among the best Tales games I'd played at the time, though I had mostly only played the big ones prior (Symphonia, Vesperia, Phantasia and Abyss). A few years on, I still have fond memories of enjoying the game, more than other Tales, but you are right that the plot is forgettable. But to be honest, I can't really remember anything about Vesperia at all (even most of the characters), and I can only remember a couple plot details about Symphonia. Really of all of them, the one I remember the most from is the one I liked the least- Abyss. Mostly because Luke was insufferable, and contrary to what other people say, he never got better- and I remember finding him incredibly annoying.

So I'm curious, what Tales games ARE actually memorable? I enjoy the games, but it just doesn't have the kind of memorable events as DQ or FF do. Perhaps its because I played them all as an adult, and I seem to be retaining very little from most games compared to when I was a kid and many of the RPGs I played then leaving a permanent imprint.

Abyss and Graces I found to be memorable at the least, but yeah, I can see where you're coming from.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Abyss is fine I just find that Luke's move set sucks and always control Guy whenever possible.

However for Abyss I'll never play on anything but normal mode without 10x exp and even then Unknown mode bosses are more tedious to kill due to practically only taking 1 point in damage unless you gain like 40+ levels at the start of the game.