If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - RPG Aspect

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
What is your favorite part of an RPG?
Getting new skills
Exploring the world
Experiencing the story
Fighting adversaries
Obtaining new gear
Making meaningful choices
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    From most to least:
    1. Experiencing the story
    2. Exploring the world (frankly I practically consider this part of experiencing the story in some cases)
    3. Fighting adversaries
    3. Getting new skills - Goes hand in hand with fighting for me so these are tied. Getting new skills is meaningless without fighting. Fighting gets stale without new skills.
    5. Making meaningful choices (this actually ranks pretty low for me and anyway, I think it's rare that "meaningful choices" affects more than a very small part of the game, such as alternate endings or other short alternate sequences in game)
    6. Obtaining new gear - that can be good, but it's not really necessary.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    smacd wrote: »
    I tell myself its about the story, but in retrospect, I rarely remember most of the details. Maybe I'm lying to myself. If so, I don't really know anymore.

Well, experiencing the story is different from remembering the story. If the pursuit of the campaign is what you enjoy in the moment, then that's all that really matters. When it comes to memories, it is more important to recall if you enjoyed the experience at the time than recalling specific details.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    There should have been a "Getting to Know/Develop the Character(s)" option I think. They're kind of central to RPGs.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    4. Getting new skills
    2. Exploring the world
    3. Experiencing the story
    6. Fighting adversaries
    5. Obtaining new gear
    1. Making meaningful choices

• EvilorEvilor Totally not the secret antagonist A secret alcove in the hero's baseFull Members
    I usually get caught up in exploration, but it really depends how enjoyable the overall gameplay is. Likewise, I'm all for a great story and interesting characters, but if it's not compelling, it's hard for me to get into it.
    Therefore, I'm going to have to say Fighting Adversaries, with the caveat that they're also interesting and not just dull grinds.
  • PopoiPopoi New Member... For 6 Years. Full Members
    I picked the story option which is a close second, but I definitely agree on the characters being my main focus. Whether it's from a personality, character interaction, and development standpoint, or more gameplay-focused as well. When starting a new Tales game for example, my first step is always to check the final party and decide who's moveset looks the most fun. So it's the most important aspect for me from both directions.
  • bmesickbmesick New Member Full Members
    I've been playing old PC games like Might and Magic and this question makes me think. It's definitely not really the details of the story I care about, so much as 'making meaningful choices' that makes it fun, I find. The more stuff you can make choices about to make meaningful changes in your world, the more interesting it is to play since the game is evolving in some way. Staleness comes from the lack of change. Also, when exploring the world gives you environmental storytelling, that's also pretty key. Uncovering a temple, or an underground channel underneath the city, or exploring the lair of a dangerous monster. Even thinking of gamees typically known for having strong stories like Final Fantasy 6, I think some of the most fun had in that game came from exploring the environment and not so much the actual content of the story. Skills are inherently more fun than equipment since skills create change while equipment just provides bonuses. The most interesting equipment would provide skills too, probably. Fighting good adversaries is rewarding in that you need something to test your skills and equipment, so I feel like they're two sides of the same coin. What's the point of new skills if you have no adversaries to use them on?

Making meaningful choices, at least in the broad sense of the meaning, is the most critical and fun part of 'role playing' to me. What skills/strategy do you use against these new enemies? What story outcomes result from my actions? What party members create good party synergy? This is the meat and potatoes of RPGs for me. While the story is secondary but still very nice to have, there are ways to make an interesting world without storytelling. I love a good dungeon crawler with good mechanics, story be damned. I love Xenogears but if I didn't at least have some fun developing my character combos and exploring those long twisty 3D dungeons (which I love) I'd never have gotten through it. They were cool, and the world was cool, and that game is underappreciated for its non-story elements. It has great environments and exploration, even if it's linear.

1. Making meaningful choices
    2. Exploring the world
    3. Getting new skills
    4. Fighting adversaries
    5. Obtaining new gear
    6. Experiencing the story