If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nintendo Direct Round-up

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
Nintendo's latest direct presentation featured titles on both 3DS and Switch. In amongst them were RPGs such as Bowser's Inside Story, Octopath Traveler, Okami, South Park, and more.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Still lots of 3ds support from Nintendo.
  • Cassandra RamosCassandra Ramos Eternal Kyoshi Administrators
    edited March 9
    I'm glad that I still haven't bought or played any previous version of Okami. I really should get the Switch one!
    I'm also super pumped at Proj- erm, Octopath Traveler's update and release date. I'm really looking forward to that game, and it's coming fairly soon! As for the slight name change, I'm more surprised that SE dropped the "Project" part of the title. They got away with "Bravely Default" and the ensuing "Bravely Second: End Layer" after all.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    Lots? Seems like everything announced for 3DS was a remake. When it's down to just remakes and co-releases, I pretty much consider that the death knell for a console.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • Scott WachterScott Wachter Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    this is in contrast to the number of ports on the Switch?
    Granted, but Switch also has a number of new games coming up.
    edited March 9
    Budai wrote: »
    Lots? Seems like everything announced for 3DS was a remake. When it's down to just remakes and co-releases, I pretty much consider that the death knell for a console.

Wario Ware, captain toad, detective pikachu, Dillon dbb, bowsers inside story, and Luigi mansion. Yes last two are remakes, but arguing what “a lot” is just splitting hairs at this point.
  • Joshua CarpenterJoshua Carpenter RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Another one of those: "That was ok" Directs for me. The downside to having a WiiU is that I played most of the games getting ported so my excitement level is lower than the average Switch owner. Maybe I'll actually play Okami this time and Octopath Traveler looks neat, but that's about it for me.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    Octopath looks great and the likelihood of a Scarlet Grace localization has increased by 1000%.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    As for bowser's inside story the game was OK the required mini games however to even fight bosses were a pain in the ass to complete + the bowser bosses were a pain due to needing to blow into the microphone but the 3DS doesn't exactly have a microphone TO blow into to use Bowser's flame attacks for boss fights.
    The mic blowing stuff is always annoying. It would be better if it didn't have one.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    Same here i'd rather use the stylus to control bowser completely over using the crappy blow into the microphone to play the game.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
    smacd wrote: »
    Serious lack of DQ11 localization / Switch version news.

I don't think we will hear anything about the DQ11 localization till the Switch version is nailed down and pretty far along. I'm still guessing that will be a Square joint and we will only see the PS4 and Switch version outside Japan, though I would be happy to be wrong.
    Uh...I think one of the times you said Switch you must have meant 3DS, but I'm notnsure which time.
    No, I continue to think that we won't see a 3DS version in the west because I assume that Square plans on localizing it themselves since they made a PS4 version in the first place and if they bring the PS4 version (and Switch version I assume) over, I don't see Square localizing the 3DS version. Nor do I see Nintendo localizing a 3DS game that has a version on a competing platform. Hence, my thought that the west will get DQ11 on PS4/Switch and we probably won't hear about the western release date until the Switch version is close to being out in Japan (still officially this summer, but I don't think there has been any news about that version in a while).
    jscarpe wrote: »
    No, I continue to think that we won't see a 3DS version in the west because I assume that Square plans on localizing it themselves since they made a PS4 version in the first place and if they bring the PS4 version (and Switch version I assume) over, I don't see Square localizing the 3DS version. Nor do I see Nintendo localizing a 3DS game that has a version on a competing platform. Hence, my thought that the west will get DQ11 on PS4/Switch and we probably won't hear about the western release date until the Switch version is close to being out in Japan (still officially this summer, but I don't think there has been any news about that version in a while).

Agreed
    Ah. I guess I misread what you said. I thought you said both that the Switch version will be localized and won't be. Anyway, I disagree with you about the 3DS. The 3DS version sold more in Japan than the PS4 version. That won't necessarily be reflected in Western markets, but I really don't see a good reason why Square would choose not to localize it. The Switch version won't be released until later anyway, so I don't see that as much of a reason to avoid localizing the 3DS version. If it was a simultaneous 3 console release, I could more easily see Square choosing to only localize on one Nintendo console. I don't think there's been any more news about the PS4 localization than there has about the 3DS, so I don't see lack of announcement of a 3DS localization as confirmation of a PS4 only localization. I also don't think that remakes of old DQ games released for 3DS is a useful predictor for a new DQ game with a multi-console release. Even if it were, the fact that those remakes were localized anyway, regardless of who did the localizing, points more in the direction of a 3DS localization than away from it.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    PlayStation Blog has at least shared the Square Enix teaser about more DQXI info coming (though that was supposed to happen in the fall of 2017) where we've heard nothing on the Nintendo side, so an indirect of the PS4 version with nothing on the Nintendo side HAS happened.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Just to check, DQVIII was the last time SE bothered with an international localization, correct? It's been NoA handling the franchise's westward releases/re-releases since then. Ideally, I would kind of like for us to just stick with NoA and wait for the Switch version only, even if that further delays the release. Really, I just want any of the handheld versions to make it over. PS4 only would be the worst outcome for me personally.
    ClixPsi.png
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'm with you there. Even though we don't know anything about the Switch version, if it's the same as the PS4 or the 3DS I'd be down because of it being portable. All we know for now is that the PS4 version at the least is very likely.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    All other things being equal, I prefer portable, but I really don't care for the graphical style of the 3DS version. I'm not sure I want to wait for the Switch version either, but definitely not if it takes after the 3DS version more.