If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Secret of Mana Remake - Review

Mike MoehnkeMike Moehnke Code: KirinAdministrators
What happens when a widely-cherished Super Nintendo RPG gets a remake that doesn't change much? The result will doubtless be different for everyone, but here's a review abundantly demonstrating one reaction.
Dissatisfaction will result.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    At least Square-Enix remade the second game in the series for a change. We've already had two remakes of the first game.

Now, as you said, we need a remake of Seiken Densetsu 3 that actually gets released in the west.
  • LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    edited March 9
    Except if they remake SD3, they better well alter much, because SD3 sucks as is. You want to complain about enemies who are evil without nuance? At least you know who they are and their aims more or less. SD3's villains are incoherent. They pop up out of nowhere like you're supposed to know wtf is going on with them and leave precious little in clues to what they're about at all. That complaint can be leveled at the whole flow of the game as well. But the worst part is the gameplay including being filled with interminable enemies that take forever to kill. Any complaint that can be leveled about SoM gameplay is magnified 100fold in SoM (seriously because that's about how much longer it seems to take to beat a boss).
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • VeghEstherVeghEsther technically on-topic Full Members
    The game crashing bugs did however kind of make it unplayable thank god for AUTO saving else I would have not bothered to play the game on my PS4 at all and yes even the 1.02 patch does NOT remove the game crashing at all.

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    VeghEsther wrote: »
    The game crashing bugs did however kind of make it unplayable thank god for AUTO saving else I would have not bothered to play the game on my PS4 at all and yes even the 1.02 patch does NOT remove the game crashing at all.
    Not really unplayable, because as you said, Autosaving often mitigated this. Though it could just be me, but the only time I ever saw a crash was when I was grinding for weapon/spell levels or for a rare drop.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Only hit one crash in my playthrough
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    All I've seen would qualify this as a remaster rather than a remake. And a mediocre one at that.
    watcher wrote: »
    All I've seen would qualify this as a remaster rather than a remake. And a mediocre one at that.

how is completely replacing the graphics and engine not a remake?
    sig.gif
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »

Yeah, it is more in the vain of FFIII and IV's remakes for the DS. It is structurally the same game as the original but re-built and in some places, reworked. That said, the Mana remakes are definitely more conservative in implementing changes to the original.
    ClixPsi.png
    Wheels wrote: »

Yeah, comparing slapping some smoothing filters on a PS2 game to completely redone graphics, regardless of how dated they look, is pretty absurd.

that's not even going into how well they replicated the gameplay of the original (for better or worse) in said brand new engine.
    sig.gif
  • TheMooseTheMoose Member Full Members
    edited March 13
    I played the "Secret of Mana" remake.

While the graphics and sound track are an improvement from the Super NES version, the biggest complaints are poor hit detection as hitting an enemy doesn't always generate damage, and let's not forget the frequent "Blue Screen" crashes which makes it a disincentive to grind out your spell, weapon, and experience levels.

Not even the updated patches, like Version 1.02, seem to work. If it did, I wouldn't have experienced at least seven "Blue Screen" crashes so far and counting.

If it wasn't for the auto save feature, "Secret of Mana" would have been a disaster.

For a company with a reputation for producing high quality games like Square Enix, they should have known better than to produce a game with "Blue Screen" crashes and bugs like "Secret of Mana".

Let's hope future remakes and new titles, including "Final Fantasy 7" and "Dragon Quest 11", won't have any "Blue Screen" crashes.
    I think the ability to patch games with updates has made game companies across the board more careless about releasing buggy versions of games.
  • OrophinOrophin New Member Full Members
    I was contemplating playing the game long enough to max out the spells and weapons like the ye olden days, but my backlog is so huge now I just couldn't be bothered.

The inn scenes were rather amusing but didn't add much to the overall gameplay.

Magic is still overpowered and can carry you through most fights. (not a gripe, just an observation)

I think I had a handful of game crashes, but the autosave was extremely helpful for getting back to where it stopped.

I find it might be harder for a newer generation of gamers to get into this. The people that played the original understood its quirks and would probably come to expect those things to re-surface, but anything less than smooth gameplay nowadays is likely to turn people off. There doesn't seem to be much tolerance for "cell phone game graphics" either. (a common complaint on the Steam boards)
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    TheMoose wrote: »
    I played the "Secret of Mana" remake.

While the graphics and sound track are an improvement from the Super NES version, the biggest complaints are poor hit detection as hitting an enemy doesn't always generate damage, and let's not forget the frequent "Blue Screen" crashes which makes it a disincentive to grind out your spell, weapon, and experience levels.

A big complaint of the original SoM is the hit detection as well. Like it was mentioned, for better or worse they replicated the old mechanics. Wouldve been nice if they had cleaned it up.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    Yes, technically it's a remake. But it's basically a carbon copy of the original with newer graphics, poor quality newer graphics and game crashing bugs. No notable additional content or features for a game that was well known to have significant content cut from the original.
    Question: Is it actually a hit detection problem (i.e. the proper place to attack doesn't sync up properly with the enemy sprite) or a hit rate problem (i.e. there is a hit "detected," but the chance of a random miss is high). As I recall, it seemed the potential to fail to hit was high with certain types of creatures like the replicating blob creatures, so I think I tended to assume it was a hit rate issue. Then again, I do recall certain weapons being more effective, which might suggest that something of their trajectory makes it easier to hit the right target area. Anyway, I think it's not something I would likely be able to tell the difference between with any level of certainty, but someone who knows the programming might be able to say better.
  • Michael BakerMichael Baker RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I always figured the slime monsters had a really high evade, which was why they always seemed to skip back half a space to avoid getting hit.

For me, it was more a matter of how often the little MISS icon kept popping up. In other words, not a problem with hit detection, but instead with how the game didn't seem to want my weapons to do anything. Even really high-level charged attacks that definitely connected with a boss's hit box would whiff that way.

Magic seemed to be nerfed some as well. I had issues with getting any spell to hit hard enough to make a difference for much of the game, even with higher skill levels attained through a lot of pointless casting. Bosses which I clearly remembered nuking to death with fireballs and other assorted effects were taking single-digit (often 1) damage from everything including the element they were supposedly weak against. And the fact that Magic Reflect never seemed to wear off actually screwed me over a few times.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    You could cast dispel to get rid of magic reflect
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    I always figured the slime monsters had a really high evade, which was why they always seemed to skip back half a space to avoid getting hit.

For me, it was more a matter of how often the little MISS icon kept popping up. In other words, not a problem with hit detection, but instead with how the game didn't seem to want my weapons to do anything. Even really high-level charged attacks that definitely connected with a boss's hit box would whiff that way.

Magic seemed to be nerfed some as well. I had issues with getting any spell to hit hard enough to make a difference for much of the game, even with higher skill levels attained through a lot of pointless casting. Bosses which I clearly remembered nuking to death with fireballs and other assorted effects were taking single-digit (often 1) damage from everything including the element they were supposedly weak against. And the fact that Magic Reflect never seemed to wear off actually screwed me over a few times.
    The game is heavily expecting you to grind things out, both for weapons and spells. If your magic is maxed, usually everything just rolled over dead within a few casts, even bosses. Most bosses I laughed at because it only took several spell casts and regular attacks to make them fold.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."