If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Somber Faerie Tale

ASVASV MemberFull Members
edited July 2003 in Latest Updates
The great and illustrious Points of View has been updated again! Believe it or not. All hail Castomel's review of Beyond the Beyond.

Comments

• VeritasVeritas Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    *throws a big ol' thumbs up at Shining Force II.* Ooo... now do Dragon Force. ;)
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Very interesting update. I see you have changed the "ranking" system in the PoV-section...cool.

One of the screenshots in the Koudelka review I wrote is missing. What happened to it? Nothing serious though..

And another thing... to Otterland, about your Seiken Densetsu 3 Review. I think I know how you feel about the game, but take it a little easy with the numbers... I mean, for example, a 10 in originality isn't going to happen when it's the third part in a series that all have very similar looks....and there were several games that had better looking sprites and graphics for the SNES than this... Oh well, I'm not going to whine on you.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Hmm. I agree with all 3 of the scores given by Solon... yes, even Parasite Eve. Nice job, dude.
  • TascarTascar Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Square really needs to release an update of Seiken Densetsu III to the U.S. This game is such a great game and the fact that it didn't come out in the U.S. is just pathetic.

Thanks to the people who translated this ROM. biggrin.gif
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Wow, meaty update. Anyway, let's get to it.

I completely agree with Solon's Grandia Xtreme review. Above average, but barely. The only problem I have with his Koudelka review is a few problems with grammar and spelling, which isn't really that big a deal. However, I have a hard time taking his PE review seriously since he states in the opening that he's "a true fan of the series".

Jake's reviews are good, but I swear I've read that Pokemon R/S review before. ASV, are you certain that one hasn't been posted already? Mr. Long's review of BtB was hysterical. Never played BtB, and hope never to have to.

Otterland's reviews are as horrible as ever, sporting an arcane sentence structure and a system of numbers that doesn't mesh with everyone else's. Seriously, Otterland, you were getting better, but these two really don't cut it. For instance, your Shining Force 2 review gives visuals and interface both 10s. 10s should really only be given out in case of perfection - not just something you can't find a fault with, but something that goes above and beyond the normal, something everyone else will be looking to for inspiration. I've played SF2, and there's nothing that orgasmic about it's interface. Giving out perfect scores in such a manner makes you appear biased and drives down any credibility you had.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cactuar Joe @ July 15 2003,20:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The only problem I have with his Koudelka review is a few problems with grammar and spelling, which isn't really that big a deal. However, I have a hard time taking his PE review seriously since he states in the opening that he's "a true fan of the series".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well... I don't really know how you guys took the "true fan of the series"... I didn't mean it like "Ha! Look at me, I am the only one who really understand this game!", just that I really, really liked it, even though there are a lot of people who don't. Perhaps I said it the wrong way.

Hope that cleared it up (at least a little)... and I'm sorry for the spelling and grammar errors in the Koudelka review, but we don't speak english in my country... I'm getting better though.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Aaah. That explains it. My apologies, I didn't know you weren't a native English speaker.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well... I don't really know how you guys took the "true fan of the series"... I didn't mean it like "Ha! Look at me, I am the only one who really understand this game!", just that I really, really liked it, even though there are a lot of people who don't. Perhaps I said it the wrong way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that's the way I took it. My problem was that I found it hard to believe that someone who liked the game that much could write an objective review. The review wasn't horrible, it's just that line gave me problems.
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2003
    Those two reviews came from a long time ago, so you'll have to give me a little leg room, there.
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Actually, the Pokemon review was posted on the index for awhile, but it never made it into a Points of View update. So, that's the story on that one.
    edited July 2003
    BTW, to warn you complainers out there, don't get angry if you see a near-straight-10 Breath of Fire V review sometime in the future. That was also among my very first reviews like the two you see in this update.

I also have a flurry of Dragon Warrior retroviews coming up. They'll be a little interesting, and are a bit fair and balanced.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    Much as I absolutely adore Seiken Densetsu III, I don't think it warranted 10s in any areas, save for MAYBE Graphics and Music/Sound depending on taste. My biggest beef would be with Originality, since while SD3 is a huge upgrade from Secret of Mana... it's still an upgrade. The only halfway original aspect of SD3 would be the gameplay, and even that is borrowed heavily from Secret of Mana. That doesn't make the game any worse, and it really shouldn't affect the overall score at all. Just... lower the Originality score quite a few points, and it will be much more bearable.

*can't wait for his Wild ARMs retroview to either be posted or sent back*
    edited July 2003
    To tell the truth, I find it a bit difficult to decide what number to give each aspect of the RPGs I review, hence the strange limitality of the numbers. Still, I could certainly justify some of them; for example, I'd give Secret of Mana's (which I'll eventually review) battle system a ten, since it's really one you could use to your advantage (i.e. being able to beat the crap out of many bosses with magic without them being able to lift a finger, if your spells are at top levels); I could also defend givng a battle system such as Tales of Phantasia's a one, since the one in that game was just chock full of endless flaws.

Still, I'll try to find more beefs, even if they're really small, with the aspects of the RPGs I review, so my numbers will perhaps be a bit more variable. I've also been trying to judge these aspects in comparison with those of what I feel were the best in that category for the system at the time (I gave Phantasy Star's graphics a ten, for instance, since they were the best 8-bit ones I've ever seen). God, I love to talk...
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited July 2003
    My main beef with giving anything a 10 or a 1 is that they are extremes. A score of 10 would imply perfection, or something close to that, and it's extraordinarily rare to find a game without flaws. A score of 1 would imply unplayability/outright crap. Basically, a score of 1 would mean that graphics and music and indiscernable and painful, the interface and battle systems insanely buggy, and the translation even worse than the most frightening NES action games. A score of 1 would say "I really have to struggle to find anything GOOD about this." The single point that is given only exists for the fact that these aspects actually exist in some manner. Use the whole range of scores, please!
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, I agree. It's just that the whole range between 1 and 10 can be a bit difficult to tread sometimes. I think I'll read up a little on Mike Beckett's editorial...