If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 457: "HDMI Toaster"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 457: "HDMI Toaster"

Chris gets beaten by a pickle. Anna Marie gazes into the rep grind. Kelley migrates to Ding Dong Dell. And Pascal's future is made of virtual reality. But really, Moon Child?

You can find the show notes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/edit?usp=sharing

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "HDMI Toaster"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
Subscribe on Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/m/Inlodcf5muxdqt3obi7cnippbhm?t=RPG_Cast

Question of the Week:
Did you ever play a sequel to a game without playing the original, why?
179811.png

Comments

• Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    edited March 24
    What counts as sequels? I've definitely played "sequels" where the only shared aspect is the name or a few other details without playing the first game or playing them out of order. Persona 3 was the first Persona game I played, for instance. I started playing Nier Automata even though I didn't play Nier. I'll likely play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 even though I didn't play the first one. I played Uncharted 3 before playing any of the others. I guess that is a direct sequel, but I also don't feel like it matters much. I played Mega Man 2 before I played Mega Man. That one really didn't matter. :p I might play Ni No Kuni 2 without finishing the first one if the gameplay is better. I didn't get far in the first one because I didn't care for the battle system. For the most part, games are self-contained enough that it doesn't make much difference if you play a sequel without playing the original. You might miss a few details, but it probably won't take too much from your enjoyment. It's much worse to try and power through flawed or dated earlier games in a series before you allow yourself to play a great current game than it is to miss a few details or references because you played out of order. If a game is extremely story-driven and it's a sequel in a true sense and not just some shared characters, references, or worlds, but the story of the original directly leads into the sequel, I would make sure to play the original first. Those cases are rare though. Mostly, it's not a big deal.

The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I've never played Pokemon, but I'm totally on board with Chris; the battle system in the original Ni no Kuni is garbage. That hybrid of turn-based and action, I found to be completely frustrating. Enemies would have tells for a large attack that you were supposed to defend, but your characters would be locked into attack animations and when you were finally able to cancel out, you would have to fumble through the menus to get to defend before the attack. That was NO FUN. Everyone I know who loved that game seemed really into the monster collection aspect and I assumed that's why I bounced off of it. Heck, it's a game where I regret playing as much as I did; I got to the sky pirates when I quit. Such a miserable experience, ugh.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Qotw- I never played any monster hunter before tri on the wii. I remember being intrigued by what I read about the first few and jumped on 3 when it was released. I didn't understand it at first, and it wasn't until the 3ds games it really clicked with me.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    I remembered my biggest weird issue with Ni No Kuni 1. If my AI buddies cast a spell on me, it would cancel my attack. It made no sense. And telling them to defend (all out defend or whatever the command was) only worked if they weren't actively doing something. Then my AI buddies would allow the boss to get a bonus attack because they hadn't defended properly. I can deal with AI being inefficient, but AI that worked against me was the worst.

Anyway I have to echo Lord Golbez above. I have played "sequels" which are more like games in a series that may be loosely connected aka playing Persona 3 and not playing Persona 1 or 2. I did play Chrono Cross before Chrono Trigger, but that was because I had watched my brother play Chrono Trigger and knew of all of its story already. Otherwise I almost always play games in a series in release order. The one exception I might make is to play Atelier Elie (which I picked up used a few years ago) and not play Atelier Marie. I had no idea Elie was the second game of the series, but it seems to make perfect sense so far without the previous game.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Familiar Change Administrators
    edited March 31
    Same here; any cases where I played a "sequel" first is because it's a loosely connected series. My first Fire Emblem game was Path of Radiance; I first played The Wind Waker before any other Zelda game; first played Dragon Quest IV (and really haven't played any other DQ games yet, let along played the first one); and so on and so forth.

There's also cases where I had no choice but to play the sequel first because the first game in a series was never released outside of Japan. An example is Magical Starsign, as Magical Vacation on the GBA was never localized. I believe Starsign is only loosely connected to Vacation, anyway. I also played EarthBound before Mother/EarthBound Beginnings, but since the prototype ROM was available at the time I first played EarthBound, I could have played the first game first.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    QOTW: I can't really think of any RPGs that I've jumped into the middle of a series, or at least (as others have mentioned) not where the sequels are closely tied together. Rorona was the first Atelier game I played and Final Fantasy 8 was my first FF, but I can't imagine those really count.

However, if we venture outside RPGs, Wing Commander 3 was my first WC game. I totally got taken in by the full motion video (in my defense, it was the 90's and that was the fad on CDs at the time) and it starred Mark Hamill and I remember being really excited about seeing Luke Skywalker in a video game, even if it wasn't a Star Wars game. It was set in space, close enough.

This is before the internet was as robust as it is today, so I didn't know anything about the series going in, and there are lots of references in WC3 to events in the first two games. I managed to muddle through 3 and became a huge Wing Commander fan afterwards; going back and playing every game and spinoff in the series (well, not that GBA port of Prophecy; I wasn't going to play that abomination).

Whoops! Forgot for a sec there that this is an RPG show. Such is the power of Wing Commander on me. Apologies :wink:
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Since I may not be able to make it tomorrow, I rarely ever jump into the middle of a series, and am struggling to recall a time I have... As a rule I try to play the series in order, even if the stories aren't a continuation. I do this for 2 main reasons. One, to get an appreciation for the growth and development of the series game to game, and two, so I don't make the earlier games more obsolete or tougher to play now that I have played a game further in the series.

Actually, as I've written this, I have remembered 2 occasions where I played a sequel first. Most recently, I have played Wasteland 2, without having played Wasteland 1. The other is that I played Shining Force II before I played the first. I went to a rental store as a kid, and saw Shining Force 2 on the shelf and decided to take it home for the weekend and loved it.