If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Site Launch Set for End of April

Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing EditorRPGamer Staff
It has taken a couple of months longer than initially hoped, but we are happy to announce a firm release date for RPGamer's new website. The end of April has been penciled in as the switchover date.

[ Story ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• LordGolbezLordGolbez Member Full Members
    Nevertheless, I can comment on this post from the forums.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
  • swangtalswangtal Full Members
    This old site brings back lotsa memories. But I’m also looking forward to the cool new site. Keep up the great work, huys.
  • Fermat's Last TheoremFermat's Last Theorem Member Full Members
    Like @swangtal, a part of me is sad, as this site holds a special place in my heart. That said, I'm excited to see what you guys have in store. Can't wait.
    You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah
  • taliefertaliefer New Member Full Members
    edited April 10
    I feel the same, I been coming to this site for damn near two decades now.(mostly as a lurker) Gonna feel a little sad seeing a different layout, no matter how awesome the new site is
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I'm not sad to see the site go, but over the years I've become friends with several staffers (miss our talks Phil) and they have all indicated privately, and even some publicly how hard it is to do work for the site with the way it currently is. I'm really hoping this new design and layout brings up the level of ease to do the work the site needs. I also hope it adds features (such as the picture gallery) that may it's much easier for the end user to use then the current version does.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    It's universal among the staff (and I'll gladly speak publicly) that we hate how complicated the old site is for doing anything. It's just been a long battle to decide how best to upgrade since we're working with decades of old content that we couldn't decide what to do with. Ultimately this was the best option that wouldn't have taken another few years to implement. I hope it's as easy as it seems for staff to post content and easy for readers to enjoy it. All testing has been positive so far. I'm excited.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NefarioCallNefarioCall Member Full Members
    Didn't the site look like this in the 90's? At least i can't remember it ever looking any different.
    Did the site have forums back in the 90s? I feel like the only communication was emailing the Q&A host back then.
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Didn't the site look like this in the 90's? At least i can't remember it ever looking any different.

This design's been around since 2007. The tenth-anniversary feature has some screenshots of the old designs.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    And there was the old board that used nested comments in discussion. I recall they were big cheeses in the Pokemon community in the early 2000s.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Asymmetric Quote Ziggurats (AQZs)?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I'm not sad to see the site go, but over the years I've become friends with several staffers (miss our talks Phil) and they have all indicated privately, and even some publicly how hard it is to do work for the site with the way it currently is. I'm really hoping this new design and layout brings up the level of ease to do the work the site needs. I also hope it adds features (such as the picture gallery) that may it's much easier for the end user to use then the current version does.

I hear ya, man! You can always hit me up on Skype or twitter or whatnot. I still chat a bit :)
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    I'm surprised it lasted this long. I'm sure some of the tech the site was built on is over 15 years old by now. I thought after the forum change that this would come a lot sooner.
    The primary front-end look has been around since about 2001 or so as I recall. It was pretty ugly before that. Well, most websites were pretty ugly before that, since pushing aesthetics was not 56k friendly.

• ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    Meh. I hate change. Maybe that's just me, though.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
    In this case, yes.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    You've changed Mac. I hate that.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain
    That I can understand.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    ACP wrote: »

It's not just you. I hate change. I don't trust change.

But if the links to podcast episodes on the new site get added more quickly and easily, especially podcast archive links, then it'll be worthwhile.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    I probably said this before, but keeping all the old content instead of migrating it to a new site was probably your best option. Because lets face it, RPGamer has been around for 20ish years and that's a lot of content to migrate. Especially since that could cause issues.
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    Victar wrote: »

But if the links to podcast episodes on the new site get added more quickly and easily, especially podcast archive links, then it'll be worthwhile.

I've seen some of the site's old code from back when I was actually staff over a decade ago.

It wasn't pretty. A lot of stuff that should be automated wasn't, resulting in a lot of extra work when posting things like news articles.

It got to the point where I thought about trying to write a new version of the site... you know, before I remembered how lazy I am and that Sounds Suspiciously Like Work.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Victar wrote: »

I can guarantee this will happen. It is why I abandoned updating the Q&A Quest archive. Everything should be better really.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    Hopefully with the changes, some of the items that had to be let go will come back <.<
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Such as?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Ratehr not say only cause I don't want my hopes dashed :P
    sig.gif

If you do say that will let us know that it's wanted. Right now not much is being planned for a refresher.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Test post!
    What's the test?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Congratulations! Almost makes me want to get involved in my own site's, barring the whole "sucking at graphic design" thing.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    So....I'm not allowed to use this username for commenting. Kind of a pain.
  • Charalampos PapadimitriouCharalampos Papadimitriou Administrators, RPGamer Staff
    You should be able to, if you sign up to the new site with the same email and use the same user name as the one you have on the forums. Are you running into an issue?