If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Octopath Traveler

OmbresOmbres Games horderFull Members
So any of you going to start playing that game tomorrow?

I am for sure, it’s already installed on my switch. I did not play to any of the demo.

I did read a bit about it, just to get interested, I listened to some review of the demo and I can’t wait to start it, been a while since I been eager to start a new game like that and that exciting.
Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
sig.gif

Comments

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    I been wondering why I was so eager to start that game, I guess it did reming me of some good old game, like SaGa Frontier with is eight character, ok on this one there no monster or robot you can play, but it is fun to see and follow the story of all these different point of view from this world.

So this is a start for me, I review all the character with my wife and she pick Alfyn the apothecary for my start.

I will post some of my adventure here, if any of you play, we can share our story, I will do my best to not spoil anything!
    sig.gif
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Looking forward to hearing how it goes, playing other stuff atm but undecided on how much I'm interested in this one so be good to hear how others' playthroughs go.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Well so far, I find it interesting how they manage the way you do every starting story.

It seems like that the first character that you pick, is your main character and you can’t remove him/her from your party.

Once your done with is starting story, you can leave your starting city and start looking for the other characters, you have a world map and you can see where they are, just go in that direction, you do not walk on the world map, you follow the road/path and try to find your way to where you want to go, there a lot of sign post on the way to help and once you enter a new region you can see more on your world map.

Once you get to a new city, you locate one of your other character and you can start is starting story, you can view the first part as if you were starting anew, as soon as you get to the part where they’re going to be encounter, you join back with your party. At first, I was sure it was going to be easy, but the challenge seen to scale with the number of party member that you have and so far every boss encounter were not easy, I almost wipe in one of them.

I find it interesting that you can skip every story part very easily (not that I have, because I love to read and view everything).

So, after Alfyn I did head north and meet the thief, hunter, cleric and now I am in the scholar story.

Next time I will talk about the side quest and the characters skills.
    sig.gif
    So, the first chapter of the entire cast of characters is done, my clock is around 15 hour. It did get a lot easier with the last four one, I did continue to level up with my main character since I can’t remove from party, to level 20, and the recommended was around 12.

Now on the world map I can see where I need to go to start all of chapter 2 of every character, So far I think that each of them will have at the least 4. I know I don’t have all of the feature available yet, because there still a choice in the menu that is “?????”, maybe it going to be the multi-class feature.

Now for the skills, each character gain some job point at the end of a fight, you start with two and can unlock a new one a 30 job point, once there you can unlock any skill that you can learn excepted the last one that is still hidden, that nice to be able to pick each of the in the order you want, after un unlock 4 skills, you get a passive skill that give you bonus, like more evade, HP...

Also each of them have a “Path action” that we can regroup in 4 group, get items (steal and buy), get information (Scrutinize and Inquire), hire npc (Guide and Allure) and fight npc (Provoke and Challenge). Beside the fact they are useful to get items and allies in fight, they are all used also to do side quest, at least the one I did get so far need to be resolved using one of these action.
    sig.gif
    edited July 20
    I manage to do the 2nd chapter of Therion (it was very hard, but fair), and I did find my first secondary job, this was the last option in my menu that was lock. This is well done, you can equip and remove any secondary job that you have, but only one character can use each of them. When you remove a job, you keep all the support skills that you unlock but not the skills.

I really like that this game encourage you to explore the world.

I did not talk about the combat of this game, every enemy have weakness, at first you see a list of icon under them with ?, as soon as you discover an weakness it change to that weakness and it will stay unlock for you to see if you encounter the same enemy again. Besides their weakness, there also a Shield icon with a number in it, each time you hit the creature with one of is weakness, this number lower by one. Once it hit zero, you broke though it defense and it does get stun for one round. In this state all is defense are severely lower and it time to unleash all your might again it. After a round it reset to its original value.

Also each round, that you don’t use the boost point, your character gain one BP, you can stack up to 5, and you can use up to 3 of them to attack up to 4 time or augment the power of your skills.
    sig.gif
    edited July 24
    I did go on an exploration time, I explored every other dungeon around the world that was up to my level and did a second chapter 2.

I did find more job, I still miss some, but it is no big deal, I will find them eventually, the compass in the corner help a lot, once you enter a zone, you can see all of the exit and new zone in it, you see the direction, but you need to find the way to them.

This game continues to amaze me. I encounter a dungeon that tells me that the recommended level is 25, that good it is the level on my lower companion on my group right now. So I enter, on my first fight I wipe completely, I try again and got the same result… but now I knew what was waiting for me inside, so I change my group a bit and try again, I was prepared and I manage to beat it this time, I even encounter a boss that was, as usual, hard but fair.

It’s nice to be able to beat something not by grinding, but by trying something different to beat it.
    sig.gif
    edited August 4
    Soon I will be done with all of the second chapter and I will go around and look at the new place I can explore. I manage to get all 8 of the job, maybe there more I can't say, but it look like there a hole where you pick your job.
    sig.gif
    So I manage to finish all the second chapter, this is still a lot of fun! Did start to explore around a bit, did find some caves and some news side quest along the way. Some of the random encounter are really hard, I meet a bear once that beat the &?&! out of me!
    sig.gif
    I did a bit more exploration and finish my first third chapter. So far I really enjoy the story of each character.

I like that you can do as you wish, if you want to concentrate on only on character, you can, but there will be a lot of grinding, but by exploring and doing all story, I never needed to do any grinding and all my character are at least level 30, my main is in the 40, since I can’t remove him from the party. Also I always keep my thief around because only he can open some of the chest in the world and I try to not go back to a dungeon that I already done.

I find this game very well done and I am still enjoying it a lot. My clock is now past the 50 hours.
    sig.gif
    edited December 1
    So I finish it, I did not continue to add information here, because I did not think it could had more that I already say.

But if you like nice stories, with a really well done combat mode, that I really enjoy because you can never turn your brain off even in random fight, or you will die!

I really hope someday for a sequel!

Warning the following contain some spoiler

Well before finishing the last four stories, I did manage to get the 4 advance classes unlock, even if these were a challenge to get, I would not suggest anyone else to do it that way because the rest of the game is so easy after that, you are overpowered with these skills at hand, but then again, they will be of no use if you gain them after you finish everything else.

sig.gif
    Ok, I did continue and did all side quest that I was able to find, it seem like there is a new dungeon at the end and I must say after the first 8 not too hard fight, I got to the last fight and got destroy.

I can see how I can manage to make it out of it alive, but before the fight, the game ask me to do 2 teams and when I die the other team did not replace the first so the there is a second fight and for sure with character around level 45, I don’t stand a chance, since my main team is between 70 and 75... I will need to grind my four others characters maybe next year! But it nice to see there a challenge to beat everything in this game!

This is really a game that I want to complete, been a while since it happen!
    sig.gif