If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer Poll

ASVASV MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Given that Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is the biggest piece of objectionable news lately, why not make a poll out of it? So... What think you?

Comments

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited September 2003
    i think it will be okay...but my prefered vote choice would have been "Praying it won't be another FF:TSW"
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    well i am guessing it will be great. Square hasnt let me down yet. in terms of money making. I know it will make lots of money. a lot of people will buy/rent it just because they want to say its bad, but they might end up liking it...
  • LobstrosityLobstrosity Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    My older brother is violently against the idea, because he's militantly anti-FFVII. I don't really know what the hell is problem is, but it gets annoying. I told him about the movie, which is something I'm kind of looking foward to, and he just scowled and got all pissy about it.

But then, he doesn't visit this site, so who cares what he thinks?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobstrosity @ Sep. 26 2003,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But then, he doesn't visit this site, so who cares what he thinks?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd guess the Square Enix employees that he, by your choice of diction, is apparently planning on blowing up or somesuch.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'm still skeptical. It's commonly agreed that game-to-movie projects don't end up very well. It's possible Advent Children won't be any different. Though Spirits Within wasn't very good, it was better than most of the other I've seen, so perhaps Square-Enix learned from their mistakes.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Voted for crap.

Even if this movie turns out to be good (mmm...right..), it'll still destroy my feelings for FFVII, and the whole point with the epiloge of the game.

Just like the damn LotR-movies destroyed my feelings for the books...
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Sep. 26 2003,02:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lobstrosity @ Sep. 26 2003,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But then, he doesn't visit this site, so who cares what he thinks?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd guess the Square Enix employees that he, by your choice of diction, is apparently planning on blowing up or somesuch.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's called "hyperbole". tounge.gif
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I am having very mixed feeling about this my main concern is if it does get brought to North America they wont have voices thst match the characters like getting Scott McNeil to do his Duo Maxwell voice for Cloud
  • ArdoArdo Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I'm not too excited (I don't really care a whole lot for FFVII), but if it comes to N.A., I'll check it out.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I feel the same about this as I do with FFX-2. Did they need to make it? Probably not. Will it be good? I'll get back to you on that when I get my hands on it.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Sep. 26 2003,21:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Voted for crap.

Even if this movie turns out to be good (mmm...right..), it'll still destroy my feelings for FFVII, and the whole point with the epiloge of the game.

Just like the damn LotR-movies destroyed my feelings for the books...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A pity. One shouldn't let crap derivatives ruin one's enjoyment of something beautiful. Anything good has stuff derived from it that is often not as good, after all.

Dracos
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Where is the "It will be horse **** option? JK, a FFVII movie has not worked into my prayers but.. .. it will probably be ok. I am actually glad they didn't make it a game. It's a good way for them to avoid angry fans of the original, and make some money off of it.
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Sep. 27 2003,23:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am actually glad they didn't make it a game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm with you on this one... A game of FFVII in todays standards would give the gamer the feel of a whole new world like Suikoden 3 or Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
  • Options
    edited September 2003
    I'll check it out if/when it makes its way to the US. I'm not horribly enthusiastic about the whole project, but then I'm not against it either. Apathetic would be the word to describe my feelings towards this.

Voted "okay"
  • Kashiwa MochiKashiwa Mochi New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I don't care if it is the shittiest movie ever.

FFVII MOVIE!!!! *drools*
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Sep. 26 2003,21:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Voted for crap.

Just like the damn LotR-movies destroyed my feelings for the books...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    you do realize you don't have to watch those movies or this one either?...sheesh, talk about anal. you should take things for what they are, not what you want or expect them to be.

besides, movies are short and never tell as much as a book (or a RPG for that matter) and nonetheless are still more expensive to produce and take considerable time to make (for the good ones like LotR)

anyway, if you're just gonna be dissappointed no matter what it's like, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT!
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kashiwa Mochi @ Sep. 28 2003,07:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't care if it is the shittiest movie ever.

FFVII MOVIE!!!! *drools*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    WOW!!! That put things into perspective!!1!1! wow.gif wow.gif

p.s. - I'm surprised the word filter didn't kick in.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Sep. 28 2003,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"anyway, if you're just gonna be dissappointed no matter what it's like, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I didn't say I'd be disappointed no matter what it's like, just that my feelings for FFVII would never be the same after I've seen it.

I don't have to watch it? gee, THANKS! I didn't know that!
    I didn't even intend to watch it, that was sort of my point.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited October 2003
    I dont think this should be compared to FF:TSW to me that is like comparing Super Mario Bros. to Dr.Mario
    edited October 2003
    No. It isn't. It would be like comparing Super Mario Brothers 1 to Super Mario Brothers 1 the lost levels or potential Super Mario Brothers 3. It's a movie to a movie. Closer I'd think than a platformer to a puzzle game.

Dracos
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Oct. 01 2003,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No. ?It isn't. ?It would be like comparing Super Mario Brothers 1 to Super Mario Brothers 1 the lost levels or potential Super Mario Brothers 3. ?It's a movie to a movie. ?Closer I'd think than a platformer to a puzzle game.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ok so it wasnt the best example but you get the idea...dont you?
    edited October 2003
    Actually, the reason I posited that the example wasn't sound was that I disagree with it at base. I think Square's two movie ventures are most thoroughly comparable. Just as each of their FF games are.

Dracos
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I actually find this VERY interesting! Did I recall Square basically saying they would make no more movies after TSW? I seem to recall reading that, and being quite upset.

However, I heard a quote from the president of Square Enix that said that their new goal was to have games edge out the movie market....

If I remember that quote right - might it not be that they wish to establish a base of fans in the movie-watching population - for their future goal?

Also the implications of that would imply that there might be more movies to come! I'm overjoyed, since I thought TSW was their last one. And (Tyke prepares to get shot) an FFVIII movie would be fun. Hehe.

I wish I had better sources for my quotes though. I hate thinking I've read something and then being wrong, hehe.

Anyhow, I'm mildly optimistic about the movie. I loved TSW, and the screenshots show that they're moving closer to the games (ie. swords, instead of just guns) - which is where much of the FF charm lies.

BTW first post smile.gif I've been reading the new pages here for years, but this is my first visit to the forums.
  • KokiriChildKokiriChild New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hmm... FFVII movie... now this one can go 2 ways.

1 - Be a big success and a damn decent storey in its own right, and attract more movie-goers to the games market

2 - Completely ruin the magic of FFVII by adding voices, and how 1 person interprets the characters personality (i.e: The Voice Actor), which would maybe be an "ok, but I wouldn't go to the other side of town to see it" type movie

Personally I hope it goes in the way of the 1, it'd be great to have a decent FF movie, and I've wanted an FFVII movie since I was... 12? Yeah, 12!

Anywho, feel free to agree/disagree with me, I'm going to have lunch laugh.gif
  • ClorithClorith Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Yeah me too!! I was 12 when I first played FF7!! Anyway I'm beyond thrilled!! I'm sure it has to be worth it's salt, else they wouldn't even make it! Yay! And even if it's not all that wonderful, I'd still brainwash myself to love it anyway biggrin.gif Besides, all I need is Cloud!! *insert fangirl scream* Hahaha tounge.gif
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KokiriChild @ Oct. 02 2003,03:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"which would maybe be an "ok, but I wouldn't go to the other side of town to see it" type movie[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    that won't be an issue since it's going strait to dvd laugh.gif

at least, i hope you don't have to go across town just to get a dvd tounge.gif

unless it turns out to be really good, i'll probably just rent it or download it (since it will probably be fansubbed long before it makes it to the US in any form) . If it does turn out really good though, i'll probably buy it.
  • Red XIVRed XIV Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I voted for crap. Aside from the fact that I'm unaware of any videogame-based movie that was better than semi-decent, I hate the idea of tacking on a continuation to a story that's already been completed. And in FF7's case, this involves brutally murdering the game's ending in the process. The whole point of FF7's ending was its ambiguity, and by virtue of its very existance a sequel removes that from the equation.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red XIV @ Oct. 08 2003,17:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Aside from the fact that I'm unaware of any videogame-based movie that was better than semi-decent,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What about Resident Evil?
  • SharonToggleSharonToggle New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Dunno, if anyone here will get this reference, but i think it'll be like the first Star Trek movie to come out (way back before my parents had me ^^;; ) The mentality there was "I've loved this show since I was a kid, and it's been off TV for five years. Now They're making a movie. It's new. The story sucks, but it's the show I've loved since I was little and can no longer get more of. I'm going to watch it eight thousand times."

Personally, I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm going to watch it whether it sucks or not (and if it sucks, you can just regard it as very colorful fanfiction). Hell, I'd watch it if it were an hour of plotless fight scenes, if only for those gorgeous graphics *drool*

Hmm, Square might be in the market for movies, now? That's pretty cool. I'd like to see some of the pre-FF7 games made into movies, since I'm a loser with only a playstation and I'm curious about them. I've heard FF6 is the best one, too v_v

So, all in all, I'm looking forward to the FF7 movie. All I'm saying is that if they release it in the US, they'd better have a "watch it in Japanese" option on the DVD (I don't see why they wouldn't, though. I mean, the only anime I can think of that doesn't is Pokemon). Square-Enix USA isn't stupid. They know what people are going to want from this movie, and they probably won't hire exceedingly crappy voice actors (like David Moo, for instance *shudder*)