If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden IV Confirmed for North America

AraesAraes MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
They were obviously planning this all along, but its good to get a brief nod from the Konami folks assuring us that we'll be able to experience the goodness that is the next part of the Suikoden series.

Read all about it here

Comments

• ProtoKunProtoKun New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    in my sincere opinion, i dont really think this will be a sucess, i mean... it havent been that far since suikoden 3 was finished, also, konami no longer follows the real story of the 108 Stars (a chinese novel)... and third, i dont really care about suikoden nomore, konami didnt release suikoden 3 in pal, a big mistake, since europe always sold 35%+/- of the total Suikoden 1 game releases and 44% of Suikoden 2 (Suikoden 2 was more sold in europe than USA) anyway, konami went down, and really low, sincerily...
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ProtoKun @ Sep. 30 2003,06:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"in my sincere opinion, i dont really think this will be a sucess, i mean... it havent been that far since suikoden 3 was finished, also, konami no longer follows the real story of the 108 Stars (a chinese novel)... and third, i dont really care about suikoden nomore, konami didnt release suikoden 3 in pal, a big mistake, since europe always sold 35%+/- of the total Suikoden 1 game releases and 44% of Suikoden 2 (Suikoden 2 was more sold in europe than USA) anyway, konami went down, and really low, sincerily...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Umm they still follow the 108 stars last time I checked. Suikoden 3 had 108 being the last release I'd say they still follow it. I just hope this is better than 3; add some more mini games and a castle that isn't so dull. The music needs some tuning from 3, but I'll still wait for it.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    Im gonna go camping in front of EB...see you in bout a year after i finish the game...
  • JoshieJoshie Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Sep. 30 2003,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Umm they still follow the 108 stars last time I checked. Suikoden 3 had 108 being the last release I'd say they still follow it. I just hope this is better than 3; add some more mini games and a castle that isn't so dull. The music needs some tuning from 3, but I'll still wait for it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think you understand what he meant. -.- The whole Suikoden game concept was based on a chinese novel, though I always thought it was called Water Margin. I haven't looked into it for a while. It involved 108 Stars, and is actually a pretty cool story, tho' a bit more graphic than the game ever was.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Suikoden is becoming more of its own story.
  • FigtreeFigtree Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    I only played Suikoden 1 and 2, and they both were good. I have not yet played Suikoden 3, so i'm hoping both 3 and 4 are good.
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Figtree @ Sep. 30 2003,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I only played Suikoden 1 and 2, and they both were good. I have not yet played Suikoden 3, so i'm hoping both 3 and 4 are good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In my opinion Suikodne 3 was good but not as good as 1 and 2 but still worth getting
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"in my sincere opinion, i dont really think this will be a sucess, i mean... it havent been that far since suikoden 3 was finished, also, konami no longer follows the real story of the 108 Stars (a chinese novel)... and third, i dont really care about suikoden nomore[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Pfft. So, all it comes down to is you don't think it will be successful because "you don't really care about suikoden nomore"? Come on. You might not, but I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who still do. The popularity of the Suikoden series exploded with Suikoden III. Before, the 'Suikoden' games were more a cult following, and most didn't even have a clue what they were.

After the PS2 release, the whole fanbase has expanded quite considerably. In my opinion Suikoden III wasn't as good as Suikoden I and certainly not as good as Suikoden II, but it wasn't terrible. It had pacing/proportional faults and a mediocre OST, but it wasn't a bad game. Personally, I'm still very interested in the Suikoden world, and I'd love to see it expanded upon. Granted, I want to see more familiar faces from the earlier installments make an appearance -- especially Flik and Viktor -- but regardless, I still hold the Suikoden series in rather high regard.

And since the fanbase is twice the size it ever was with the two previous games, I'd say I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. So I can say that it still has a good chance of being a remarkable success. If it does fail, it'll be because it's a crappy game, not due to lack of interest.
  • Ced The LadCed The Lad Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    konami of america has backtracked on it's statement regarding the "150 years before suikoden" tidbit. interesting that this info came out in America before Japan. (since Japan gets the gmes first)

I think someone leaked some critical info and lost his/her job. And if it really was a typo, they'd edit it, not take it out all together.

So despite that it's gone, i think that information is correct, but we weren't supposed to know.

Spread the word. smile.gif
  • The Emperor KingThe Emperor King Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Plug @ Sep. 30 2003,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In my opinion Suikoden III wasn't as good as Suikoden I and certainly not as good as Suikoden II, but it wasn't terrible.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    amen brother. but just because one game in the series was a little rough, it doesnt mean that the series is doomed. i mean, look at the breath of fire series. the first 2 were good, the 3rd was the best game ive ever played, but the 4th kinda was... sucky, in my opinion. however, the 5th is supposed to be much better than the 4th (i havent played it yet, so i dont know). i think suikoden 3 might have been better if we knew more about the characters in it, the ones that the suikogaiden games and the shinsyos (sp*) gave info about. but with the game definitely being a prequel, konami has a lot more room to work with the characters; they arent as bound by the rules as they have been with suikoden 2 and 3. im definitely, DEFINITELY getting 4 when it comes out.
    edited September 2003
    i lost interest in suikoden for a simple reason, since i live in europe, we aren getting any more suikodens, so the chances of playing another suikoden are very remote, only if i go live to the states, wich i am not doing, also, i didnt say suikoden 3 sucks, what i mean it's that it might not be as good as the preview ones were, also, i'm not sure about the name of the chinese novel, all i know is that suikoden followed the story until suikoden 3, another thing, the area graphics are very good, but what about the characters... i hope they get them better, a few look like dolls and another ones are plain ugly (there are still alot of characters that look pretty good, but the graphics are just... way bad, for what Konami is capable of) anyway, suikoden 4 might be the best rpg ever, and be the worst game in history, it's still to early to decide, it's up to people to decide their points of views.

• Shattered StarShattered Star New Member Full Members
    edited September 2003
    The game looked really interesting, I can't wait, apparently it is a great game. I will buy a PS2 soon or a later because of Final Fantasy XI but yeah I might get it.
    edited October 2003
    Maybe they with have Joshua and we will be able to use him in battles with his dragon like"<span class="spoiler"> Futch and Bright in Suiko 3 </span>"
    edited October 2003
    it's hard to believe Joshua will be in suikoden 4, since it's 150 years before, the few characters that may be in it are Windy, Neclord, Pesmerga, Yuber, Sierra, Leknaat, Luc and Ted, all imortal (in Ted's case, due to the Soul Eater Rune) and any suikoden 3 characters with immortal abilities (since i havent play 3, i don't know). this is pretty simple since both ins suikoden 1 and 2, the past (300-200 years ago) is mentioned
    also, there has been a rumor a while ago (since last year) about the making of Gensou Suikoden Online, it's just a vague rumor tho, but it's not hard to believe

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ProtoKun @ Oct. 01 2003,08:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"it's hard to believe Joshua will be in suikoden 4, since it's 150 years before, the few characters that may be in it are Windy, Neclord, Pesmerga, Yuber, Sierra, Leknaat, Luc and Ted, all imortal[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But joshua has the Dragon Rune and it is a True Rune
    edited October 2003
    not every rune give you immortality, it is refered in suikoden 1 that only a few runes give you immortality. Joshua may and may not be in suikoden 4, also, if he is in suikoden 4, in order to play with him, he must not be the king, since he wouldnt leave his post
  • Jin_BambinoJin_Bambino New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I didn't like Suikoden 3. Mayhap 1, and especially 2 got me craving for more of the same and shot my hopes to high?

1 and 2 still get a lot of play time from me though.

...Part 4 need not be in 3d. I thought 2d fit the series well.

It seems the transgression into 3d and the love-it or hate-it Trinity Sight System(Novel idea but hated it by the way)was the primary focus of the game which in turn disrupted what was once beautiful about Suiko: pacing first and foremost and various other little intricacies I won't reminisce over.

Here is a kudos to Konami for hanging in there and taking chances, as unwarranted as they me seem to a bull-headed oaf like myself, to further expand their fan base by attracting consumers who like looks (3d) and those who admire versatilityin their story-cauldron(Trinity Sight System).

Here is a good-luck to Konami with Suiko 4. I'll be waiting....
  • FigtreeFigtree Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Plug @ Sep. 30 2003,12:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Pfft. ?So, all it comes down to is you don't.........[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not commenting on your post other than the "pfft" I understand what that means it's the spitting sound. I use that a lot and i've heard many others use it too in a conversation were they totally do not agree and infact resent the comment directed toward them, but i've never seen it used in written dialogue that's cool I never thought to use it like that.
  • TagarthTagarth Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well, I can't wait to get a PS2 so I can get Suikoden 3 and 4. I loved 1 and 2, prob my fave games of all time. Anyone know what the name of the story it's based on is? The old chinese one?

Yay for Neclord's return laugh.gif if he's not in it I'll be dissapointed!
    edited October 2003
    wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tagarth @ Oct. 01 2003,13wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yay for Neclord's return ?laugh.gif ? if he's not in it I'll be dissapointed![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree Neclord was an awesome bad guy maybe the Kahn Family will be in presuit of him... it he is in it

• TagarthTagarth Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daemonic_Angel @ Oct. 01 2003,13:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I agree Neclord was an awesome bad guy maybe the Kahn Family will be in presuit of him... it he is in it[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The whole vampire aspect is what kept me playing Suikoden 2, my three fave charactors were Kahn, Victor, and the head vamp there (Can't remember her name). Hmmm.... someone should start a suikoden thread about fave charactors, theres enough (At least 324 main ones)
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    Suikoden 1 occurred in IS 455. Relevants in the vicinity of IS 300:

- Crowley and Mazus devastate the land in a magical duel: (IS 340)
    (Somehow this happens 5 years before Crowley is born and over 30 before Mazus is born, so we can wager Viki was involved...)
    - The Jowston alliance is formed: (IS 314)
    - Sigfried is born: (IS 291)
    - Joshua Levenheit is born: (IS 238)
    (Yes, True runes make you immortal.)
    - Highland kingdom is founded by Maroux Blight: (IS 237)
    - Kranach Rugner secceeds the Scarlet Moon Empire from Harmonia, keeping the Sovereign Rune. (IS 230)
    -Wilder, a rural noble in the Nameless Lands, becomes the first human to slay a vampire. (IS 160)
    - Windy destroys the village of the Hidden Rune. Ted bears the Souleater and escapes. (IS 150?)
    - Neclord steals the Blue Moon Rune from Sierra. (IS 78)
    - Harmonia massacres the Gate Rune Clan. Windy and Leknaat escape. (IS 70?)
    - Hikusaak founds Holy Harmonia. (IS 0)

Most of this info comes from www.suikosource.com

As for who can be in 4, Jeane, Viki, and Leknaat all show up and have active roles in the video shown at the Tokyo Game Show. It looks like Jeane might be playable in combat rather than just your Runemaster. Luc was not "born" until IS 444. I'm not sure what was used to create him and Sasarai, but I'd guess the Circle Rune was involved since Hikusaak vanished a few hundred years before and "<span class="spoiler">they are Hikusaak's clones</span>". Hikusaak himself could show up, as he is immortal (and maybe still alive in Suikoden 3).

The usual cast of timeless folk like Pesmerga, Yuber, Sierra, etc would be available to return. Plus, there are countless ancestors of the Suikoden 1-3 characters.

For the record, I think Suikoden III was better than I, but worse than II. Those who object to Suikoden III on grounds of the book are complaining primarily that it did not involve the overthrow of a powerful nation. That doesn't really bother me because somebody decided to finally have a war without any faction using someone despicably and unrealistically evil as an antagonist. I like the fact that your characters started out hating each other and you actually controlled them at that point. Most Suikoden characters start out as enemies to some other characters. In three they let us see it, rather than almost ignoring questions of how faithful someone could be to their new cause like in I and II.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ProtoKun @ Oct. 01 2003,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"not every rune give you immortality.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    yeah, but the joshua's rune does give you immortality. says so in the first game. im not saying that you were arguing that it doesnt, but clarifying that it does for anybody who thinks otherwise.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benjen @ Oct. 01 2003,10:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Crowley and Mazus devastate the land in a magical duel: (IS 340)
    (Somehow this happens 5 years before Crowley is born and over 30 before Mazus is born, so we can wager Viki was involved...)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    actually, mazus and crowley have somehow figured out how to be reincarnated. im not sure the details, but the characters that we have used are in fact the same ones that had the duel. at least thats what ive read somewhere. i think it was in the shinshyos (sp*).
    edited October 2003
    Emperor King, that just speculation started at Suikosource, but it's a possibility. I believe that reincarnation theory myself, but let's not forget it's not official information.

Protokun "not every rune give you immortality"

True, they gant ETERNAL YOUTH and LONGEVITY, but not eternal life. The Dragon Rune gives eternal youth like the True Wind rune and Soul Eater. Joshua is over 200 years old.

(It's in Limbo in Konami's official true Rune list who has the dragon rune now. Joshua had it, but konami also states that it was passed on to Milia)

Konami has also said that because The Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes were supposed to be one true rune, Jowy and the Hero are NOT immortal. (although, you know konami, they have a habit of contradicting themselves)

This is different from the Front and Back sides of the Gate Rune. If anyone wishes to know the difference, email me.

The Punishment Rune is the only True Rune that actually takes life. But rest assured, the True Runes are associated with Eternal Youth, not eternal Life.

edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ced The Lad @ Oct. 01 2003,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(It's in Limbo in Konami's official true Rune list who has the dragon rune now. Joshua had it, but konami also states that it was passed on to Milia)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    i cant remember where in suikoden 3 but it says that Miliadoes have the Dragon Rune
    edited October 2003
    thanks, i wasnt sure if it was all the true runes or not (i don't recall every aspect of the true rune story, but, both suikoden 1 and 2 speak so many things about the true runes they became contradictions).
    also, Kahn won't appear in Suikoden 4, since he says his family had been following Neclord.
    about heroes being enemies at first and then allies, that always happened, but if you are speaking of the 3 heroes in Suikoden 3, i dont know, since i didn't play it (and never will, thanks to Konami idiotic decision).
    also, in suikoden 1, Barbarosa isnt vile or a slaughtering machine, he is a king who was possessed by Windy's beuty and let himself be controled, the same thing with suikoden 2, Luca Blight isn't the real enemy, Jowy and Leon Silverburg are the true enemies, who controled Luca (since he is a mindless doll who only thinks about killing)

edited October 2003
    Daemonic-Angel: Millia's possesion of the Dragon Rune was mentioned in the shinsho volumes that come out onlyin Japan. The problem is, Konami's official True Rune list that was sent to the Japanese magazines showed that next to the Dragon Rune was Joshua Levenheight's name.

To make matters worse they forgot about Yuber's Eightfold (Hachifusa) Rune and the Sindar Leader's Rune of Change. So we don't even know if those 2 runes are official anymore.

(For those who don't know Yuber's true rune was mentioned in the shinshos or the encyclopedia i forget. It is NOT the same as the Eight-Devil rune he has on his left hand in Suikoden 3. They say Yuber's Rune could be the reason why he can summon monsters or teleport. But his eternal youth comes from his true rune.)

As for Jowy and Leon controlling Luca . . . I don't think that's true. Jowy and Leon weren't in charge. Luca was. I guess you can say they manipulated Luca, but not control him

• Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm definetaly looking foward to Suikoden 4. Though, I can tell that it is another artist drawing the characters. (I absolutely loved the artwork for GenSui3). One of the characters looks like he would be Chris & Borus' child, doesn't he? *Laughs* Must be my imagination...
    More than likely Yuber, Futch, Viki, and all those others that are in all the Suikoden's are going to be in the game. I've never played Suikoden I or II before. I have no desire to play I, because the graphics looks terrible and the artwork is...blah. (Sorry to those who like it.)
    I'm not sure about Suikoden II. I'll probably play it if I can ever find a copy, but 80% of the people in SuiII look scary & don't even look half as cool as the SuiIII people. (But Yuber has some cool armour). The graphics don't look too exciting either.
    ?Though, I really shouldn't judge a game until I've played it, eh? *Guilty* Oh God, what they heck am I talking about graphics for, when my favourite game (Xenogears) doesn't have awesome graphics. tounge.gif

edited October 2003
    "You shouldnt judge the book by it's cover" (or something) never heard of it? if you intend not to play either Suikoden 1 or 2 because of the graphics or artowrk, that can be the biggest mistake you ever did and will do in your life...
    Suikoden 1 is really good, worth of playing and getting addicted to, as for 2, well, it's impossible to describe it...
    the artwork of suikoden 1 is "bad", but it's because it's a old game (1996/97), as for 2, it is the basis they used to make artwork in 3 (i dont know who drew the characters in suikoden 3, but if it's not the same drawer, he followed the drawing style very well)
    if you think a game isn't worthy playing because of the graphics, then you are wrong... really, never heard of games like Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis in USA), Shining Force or even Landstalker? all Sega Genesis classics, worthy of playing, yet, the graphics aint that good, since they are old...
    just to finish, remember this: a RPG should be played for it's story, but not the graphics, since you are experiencing a tale, and not watching a piece of artwork
    oh, almost forgot, it isn't Futch, it's Joshua (i think you misunderstood, since Futch didn't exist 150 years before Suikoden 1)

edited October 2003
    The artist doing the drawing for Suikoden 1 (Junko Kawano) is back in suikoden 4. Only this time, she's also writing the story. Not to worry, she's done this before. (Shadow of Memories) She can be trusted. I mean she was around even before Murayama, the original creator, left Konami. ?smile.gif

That's why the main character has such a dark feel to him.