If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Roundtable ho!

GoogleshngGoogleshng BannedBanned Users
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates

Comments

• RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Googleshng: Kindgom Hearts 2 for instance is slated for the GBA.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um, did you mean to say "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories"? Kingdom Hearts 2 remains on the PS2, which is the same system as the original game.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    God, what a bunch of whiners. "TEHY RUINIED FF4 BYE RETRANSLATEING IT!!!!!111" sarcasm.gif Give me a break. They fixed all the early 90's crappiness and censoring. Same for FF6.

And I don't want SD3 on the GBA. I don't want anything on the GBA. I want it on the PS1, as well as FF3. The GBA is a waste of money.

And thanks for the catching the KH2 on GBA mistake, that annoyed me.
  • seancdaugseancdaug Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Shift @ Oct. 13 2003,18:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"God, what a bunch of whiners. "TEHY RUINIED FF4 BYE RETRANSLATEING IT!!!!!111" sarcasm.gif Give me a break. They fixed all the early 90's crappiness and censoring. Same for FF6.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Did they? I mean, I didn't play very much of the PSX port of FF6, but from what I could see, the only significant changes from Ted Woolsey's original script were extremely minor. Things like changing the spelling of "Fenix Down" to "Phoenix Down." Anyway, the real reason for the FF4 retranslation, I'm sure, was not to fix the mistakes of the original English script, but because the US Final Fantasy II was a substantially different game, and that many things that simply weren't in the original US game needed to be translated. In light of that, it was probably easier to just retranslate the whole thing than it was to try and make the changes properly fit the original script.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I don't want SD3 on the GBA. I don't want anything on the GBA. I want it on the PS1, as well as FF3. The GBA is a waste of money.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

YES! I mean, with all those new, exclusive to GBA games available, who'd want that over a 10 year old dead system?

Anyway, I'm suprised that nobody mentioned the load times in the FF remakes. My understanding that the load times were exceptionally bad in FF4 and CT, and that had to have disrupted the flow of the game something fierce.
  • Options
    edited October 2003
    I like the new translation for ff4. ?That was the whole reason I prepaid for it a full month ahead of time.

As for loading times, yes it was very bad for CT but not as much so for FF4. ?CT had about a 8 to 10 second load time before going into battle, after battle, going and leaving the menu and trying to save. ?There was parts in the game where out of 5 minutes of game time, loading ate up 3 to 4 minutes. ?Add in that I'm one of the few people that don't think CT all that great, the loading made it unplayable for me.

FF4 just had a 20 to 30 second loading time for saving and loading games from the memory card. ?While it may sound really bad, it also gave you the option to quick save which had zero loading time, you just had to remember to save to the memory card when your done playing. ?Other than that, it plays almost exactly like it did on the snes.
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Im not gonna do a full roundup for this week since there wasnt all that much to really talk about.

I have no problems with ports or remakes.

Especially on console RPGs, where their game designs were pretty annoying back in the day, and totally unacceptable now. Most PC RPGs too.

I tried playing the FF4 remake a few months back. I couldnt deal with it for more than 3 hours. Too much random combat. It wasn't fun anymore, story be damned. It should have been fixed.

(I actually applauded the easing up of things in the Gameboy Dragon Warrior remakes. Hours of pointless random combat plus hours of tedious gold and exp collection is NOT FUN, and was irritating back in the day. That's an example of a proper game rerelease on a new system. Tidy up and modernize the game for today's audience while keeping what was fun from the original.)
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    The Dragon Quest IV remake makes those look like it was done by first-graders with ADHD, too.?.?.?.