If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Editorials - The Legendary Hero

Joseph WithamJoseph Witham MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Before starting any potential discussion about this article I have one quick reminder. ?We're not an entirely traditional editorial column, and that's why we have such a great diversity in the style of our articles. ?Please respect Gregory's article for what it is: a rant. ?Which, in fact, falls within our submission standards just fine.

Read it here.

Comments

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited October 2003
    bah, rants bore me. two editorials total in the last two updates...ugh....i cry out for more. I'd help if i wasn't writing a paper for my college comp class during this time. maybe this winter break i'll write something and save submitting it until it gets slow again.

and joseph, maybe you should post no more than 3 or 4 new (non-rebuttal) editorials at a time so that when submissions slow there is more than one thing to post. it would also keep us from being bombarded with a whole bunch at one time too. just a thought wink.gif
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    An interesting editoral. My recollections of zelda are slightly different, and mainly have to do with friends asking me to beat the game for them, again, and me trying to explain that anyone could beat zelda, and that I had done it four times for them already, and didn't even like the game that much. Nice to know some people have good memories of it though.
  • ocarina_hyruleocarina_hyrule New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Zelda or Final Fantasy i ask myself, when all my other friends fancy themself as final fantasy masters, i feel alone in my small world of Link and chums.
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This was an adventure to rival anything in Arthurian lore, with stakes so high as to put Beowulf to shame. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Blasphemy. This hardly puts Beowulf to shame. There isn't much (if anything) that can.
  • vherubvherub Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    certain games at cetain points in your life capture perfectly how the world appeared- if you were not born at the right time, you miss certain slices of gaming history, just as kids born now are missing out on everything coming out for the next few years. ?This editorial did a great job of capturing how many gamers felt at the time: that zelda displayed an aura around it that not super mario brothers, not contra, not even final fantasy could capture.

• IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I have enough experience in both Zelda and FF as to discuss this, I think.

Both are good, but I think Zelda needs more variety because the cast has almost always been the same: Link, Zelda and Ganon, but Zelda is more of a secondary and it is The Legend of Zelda. What is that about?

Anyway I have always seen FF better than Zelda.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I wouldn't really call this a rant since it doesn't seem particularly angry and/or inflammatory, but I can definitely relate to the story. Back when a friend of mine had Zelda 1 on his NES, we spent weeks/months playing through it, hypothesizing about where the terrifying and mysterious level 9 could be and generally exulting in every successive triumph: getting a new item in a dungeon, making it through the Lost Woods for the first time, beating that guy with the floating heads, finding the magic sword, buying a blue ring, etc. We absolutely dreaded the tougher enemies (such as blue wizzrobes, like-likes, and darknuts), and we bombed hundreds of walls and burned thousands of bushes looking for those elusive heart containers.

It was unlike anything any of us had ever seen before, and will probably always have a special place in my memory. This was years before I discovered games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Zelda 1 is the best game I never actually owned myself.

Nice story. Brings back lots of great memories.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Both are good, but I think Zelda needs more variety because the cast has almost always been the same: Link, Zelda and Ganon[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Like my granpapy used to say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well maybe he didn't say that, but it's still true.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Zelda is more of a secondary and it is The Legend of Zelda. What is that about?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well it's hard to contribute much when you're stuck in a crystal, or passed out cold. Maybe they should make a Zelda game where Zelda is the main character. A game like that could never fail. tounge.gif

I've played most of the Zelda games released (save for CD-i), and loved... love them all. Who could hate the wonderful engrish of Zelda 2? Only an sad, angry person, thats who!
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Everyone has their special games and eras.
    Mine were mostly computer based.
    Which puts me in the serious outsider position in gaming.
    I thought Zelda was a great game, but for me, it was NOTHING compared to the games I was playing on my C64, a computer I have far more love for than any of the other game systems I had or have had since.
  • MasamuneMasamune Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    As big a Zelda fan I am, SMB3 is the most memorable for me... followed closely by AoL. I never could beat Ganon as a kid. I never could beat Bowser in SMB1 either. I carried those scars for at least a decade until I returned and made those suckas pay for what they had done. Imagine my shock to find how easy it was too...
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I wouldn't call "Ranting about Zelda" a rant, since that word generally means that the piece is dedicated to saying negative things about something.

I'm tired of these small updates. *Goes off to write an editoral*