If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Uncle Cid Wants You!

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited October 2003 in Latest Updates
Well, the time has come again to hire for news, so if you're up to the challenge, head on over and pick up an app.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• Fitali44Fitali44 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    do you have to be American to do this job? I'm from Australia and unless theres a point where face to face contact has to be made then i see nothing wrong
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    AHA! Time to send an application for the upteenth time. tounge.gif
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Fitali44 @ Oct. 15 2003,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"do you have to be American to do this job?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nope. As long as one's English is good, we hold no nationality restrictions. Alex, for example, is currently living in England. It's not a problem.
    The only thing that could potentially get in the way is the time difference, which still shouldn't interefere all that much.
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Forget RPGamer...CNN all the way!!!....lol
  • JudgementJudgement Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    ah man if I had the time no power on this earth could stop me applying (of course the demon penguins are another matter) but work doesn't leave me much time online sorry sad.gif
    You have awakened the sleeper May God forgive those who go against his Judgement
    and may God show You mercy and compassion For I shall show you none........
  • allineedallineed Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    What is the job? Submiting things or what? Will I be able to do this job from any comp.?
    edited October 2003
    Never Mind......
    *runs off*
  • O Shrouded OneO Shrouded One Hobo With A Huge Heart Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Still hoping you get a good newsie....

Praise be to Yevon, just for luck.

O' Shrouded One
    Hire me for work!
    Follow me on The Twitters!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
    edited October 2003
    What would be the pay?
    edited October 2003
    There is no pay. It's all voluntary work. Go read the application form. smile.gif

And I'm getting a "message sending failed" again. sad.gif
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (allineed @ Oct. 15 2003,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What would be the pay?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    All you need is to read the job description.
  • Mr. ALXNDRMr. ALXNDR New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'll try my luck someother time, when I have more free time on my hands. However, gaming is always a priority of mine, despite having to work a lot. smile.gif
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Definitely can't help out but I just have to say:

Castomel (or whoever came up with the thread title):

Best rpg themed job advertisement ever. Even not having time to allocate from my own site for this, it's hard to say no to Uncle Cid!

Dracos
  • DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    ..I would try, but I'm 14, and I bet there's a "Must be at least 18" thing going on..

I hate age restrictions..
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DevilMayCare @ Oct. 16 2003,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"..I would try, but I'm 14, and I bet there's a "Must be at least 18" thing going on..
    I hate age restrictions..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's 16, but yes, you've got the idea. As disappointing as it may be to some, the age restriction is generally a good thing to have. Hey, we'd love to get an app from you in 2 years, if you're still interested then. Till then, you can perfect your story-writing abilities and eventually blow us all away with your killer app. smile.gif
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DevilMayCare @ Oct. 16 2003,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"..I would try, but I'm 14, and I bet there's a "Must be at least 18" thing going on..

I hate age restrictions..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, I think you need to be 16. Fun with American Labor laws. laugh.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • HarryCareyHarryCarey Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    well, i'm gonna apply and hope for the best... i've been wanting to work for rpgamer for... 5-6 years now, and i've been waiting for an opening like this! still, good luck to everyone else who's applying... as much as i want a position.
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Will the sample stories need to be written in Canadian? I'm afraid I don't know exactly how to add such 'colour' to my work. tounge.gif
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Stom @ Oct. 17 2003,00:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Will the sample stories need to be written in Canadian? I'm afraid I don't know exactly how to add such 'colour' to my work. tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He *could* have said entries need to be in by Hallowe'en tounge.gif tounge.gif laugh.gif
  • squonksquonk Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    AH you closed my topic... Bizatch!

A 16 year old kid who doesn't live in Japan, has no conception of how good rpgs are. Especially if he is doing reviews for the new systems. Let's go back 16 years. The year is 1988. NES is already released. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy have already been released.

By the time this kid gets to the age of 7 it is 1995. The end of nes, the end of genesis, and the end of the rpgs on the market for these 2 systems *excluding phantasy star 4.* By the time this kid is 10, N64 is trying to proclaim rule over the console industry by making it look like they have the best graphics to date. They would halt all snes games from this point on.

N64 has like 4 rpgs...

Now let's say he doesn't want N64 and he wants PSX. The top rpg to hit Amerikkka at this point in time is Final Fantasy 7... Probably their first rpg. Someone's going to have a bias opinion if ff7 is their first rpg. I can't imagine anyone liking half the rpgs I enjoy if they found ff7 to be wonderful. NOthing I play has those astounding graphics or integrated battle system.

I sincerely doubt any 16 year old kid, has gotten an oppurtunity to play through at least 50 different rpgs ranging from the nes, snes, sega master system, sega genesis, sega cd, sega saturn, ps, dreamcast, n64, gamecube, ps2, and xbox. If one's credibility seems appropriate for the job, he is going to write reviews for new games without experiencing the old. With that said, it can be a total copyright of an old game, old battle system, etc... This moron would think that it is groundbreaking or astonishing. I am trying to help rpgamer out with my responses. Don't change my posts.
  • Mr. ALXNDRMr. ALXNDR New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I disagree.

Here is my stand point on the next-gen gamers: While it is true what you say, that young people that have just recently been introduced to the RPG genre will not be as aware as one that has been around for generations, but that does not mean that the younger gamers will not hunt down and experiment all the old school RPGs for the NES, SNES, Sega Master, Genesis, and so on, for themselves.

Now, yes, mind you, there are always going to be people out there that will simply say they don't like the old school look with 2D sprites, but where there are the ones that only like the eye candy, there will be young people that will have a fascination with the RPGs that kicked off the genre, and surely, will try to get a hold of them by any means necessary.

The point I'm trying to make is - you shouldn't stereotype the newer generation of RPGamers because of their age. Some will be curious, while others will be ignorant about the classic graphics. It's all a matter of how one looks at it from their own perspective. If one has an imagination, they will more than likely get into all of the old school RPGs. Sure, their grammar and story-telling would probably not be as professional as an adult would have put it in their news stories, but their interest of RPGs from all walks of life will be present.

Anyhow, sorry about the big post. I felt motivated to respond with disagreement from squonk's post.
    edited October 2003
    I personally don't think that your experience with RPG's, or how many RPG's you've played for that matter, is of utmost importance when getting picked for the job. In my 18 years, I've played a little over 30 RPG's. Yes, that's pretty small compared to the older and more jaded gaming crowd, but that doesn't make me a narrowminded dolt who doesn't know what they're talking about. The responsibility of the job should make one consider that he should be well prepared to handle the subject matter at hand. Whoever gets picked should know that they have the responsibility to make sure they know what they are doing, and not just blindingly doing their job.

Youth does not equate to ignorance.
    edited October 2003
    Dear squonk,
    Yeah, so it's a good thing we're not hiring for the position of "Game Historian." ?You see, the position is "News Writer," which does not require anyone to have been through the pioneer days of RPGaming. ?When writing news, information is given to us, and we put it into good English (or occasionally, good Canadian), and deliver it to our readers. ?Once in a while, we make reference to another game in our stories, but it is extremely rare that the reference is totally necessary, and even more rare that the game mentioned is from the 80's. ?While we do look at gaming experience as a plus, knowing the details of every game in the 8-bit and 16-bit libraries is by no means an expectation. ?You see, news reporting is all about "right now," so as long as someone if familiar with the events of the past couple years, everything's fine. ?You don't see us writing stories like "A sequel to Wind Waker is coming out for the GameCube. ?...Hey, remember the first Zelda game on the NES? ?Man, I remember getting to [insert scenario] and not knowing what to do. ?Those were good times." ?That would just be silly.

In addition, I must mention (because his name popped into my head while writing this) Orie. ?He's 16, and has done his reporting job well. ?I must also point out his list of 5 favorite games: 2 of them are 8-bit, another is 16-bit, and then the 32 and 128-bit eras are represented with 1 each. ?That's interesting, because it pretty much shuts down your whole "first RPG is FF7" theory. ?Hell, that game was my second RPG, the first being Breath if Fire 3. ?I have since backtracked and played some of the classics, but certainly did not grow up with Dragon Warrior or Phantasy Star in my house. ?This has not stopped me from being a quality news writer (at least in my own opinion and those of the news team). ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I can't imagine anyone liking half the rpgs I enjoy if they found ff7 to be wonderful[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And now is when I get to discuss the rest of us. ?A good number of us enjoyed FF7, including myself and the man to whom these applications are being sent. ? wink.gif
    The lists of RPGs each of us like in addition to FF7 are quite long, actually--much to the contrary of what you seem to believe. ?

Anyway, we appricate the attempted help, but the current system is working just fine.
  • squonksquonk Banned Banned Users
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rage @ Oct. 17 2003,06:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dear squonk,
    Yeah, so it's a good thing we're not hiring for the position of "Game Historian." ?You see, the position is "News Writer," which does not require anyone to have been through the pioneer days of RPGaming. ?When writing news, information is given to us, and we put it into good English (or occasionally, good Canadian), and deliver it to our readers. ?Once in a while, we make reference to another game in our stories, but it is extremely rare that the reference is totally necessary, and even more rare that the game mentioned is from the 80's. ?While we do look at gaming experience as a plus, knowing the details of every game in the 8-bit and 16-bit libraries is by no means an expectation. ?You see, news reporting is all about "right now," so as long as someone if familiar with the events of the past couple years, everything's fine. ?You don't see us writing stories like "A sequel to Wind Waker is coming out for the GameCube. ?...Hey, remember the first Zelda game on the NES? ?Man, I remember getting to [insert scenario] and not knowing what to do. ?Those were good times." ?That would just be silly.

In addition, I must mention (because his name popped into my head while writing this) Orie. ?He's 16, and has done his reporting job well. ?I must also point out his list of 5 favorite games: 2 of them are 8-bit, another is 16-bit, and then the 32 and 128-bit eras are represented with 1 each. ?That's interesting, because it pretty much shuts down your whole "first RPG is FF7" theory. ?Hell, that game was my second RPG, the first being Breath if Fire 3. ?I have since backtracked and played some of the classics, but certainly did not grow up with Dragon Warrior or Phantasy Star in my house. ?This has not stopped me from being a quality news writer (at least in my own opinion and those of the news team). ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I can't imagine anyone liking half the rpgs I enjoy if they found ff7 to be wonderful[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And now is when I get to discuss the rest of us. ?A good number of us enjoyed FF7, including myself and the man to whom these applications are being sent. ? wink.gif
    The lists of RPGs each of us like in addition to FF7 are quite long, actually--much to the contrary of what you seem to believe. ?

Anyway, we appricate the attempted help, but the current system is working just fine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am not saying a person can't develop the personality of an old school gamer, nor am I trying to say that old school games are a necessity when writing every review of a new game. Writing a review for zelda may not be necessary because new and old gamers know of the history relating to zelda. A game such as beyond the beyond for example would fit better with the problem of new school gamers. Or we could comment on the albert odyssey talks for the sega saturn when it was released to the us and cost me 90 bucks for one of the worst rpgs I have ever played.

Another example would be the final fantasy tactics review hosted by many gamer mags including old school gamers that obviously never played shining force. I am not saying that gamers can't grow and be more open minded about the subject matter of a rpg. I would always talk trash about an older brother who would play games for graphics. He wouldn't go back in time and play the games I found interesting. An example would be FFT. I showed this kid shining force when it first came out. When tactics came out on the playstation, he needed my help constantly on trying to teach him how to play a strategy rpg.

My point is this, an integrated gaming institution such as yourself, can hire people but since there is really no training necessary, it is up to the individual to make their decisions based upon the knowledge they are given. When I look back at FFT now, I can also see the use of square making Bahamut Lagoon. I didn't live in Japan nor did anyone translate that snes game to english. It would've helped to find out that this tactics game wasn't the first in the series for squaresoft. In every mag you look at *go back to your mags*, you will see the writers proclaiming squaresoft has finally created a new kind of rpg that is similar to SF. Although the SF might be true, it better fits the description of Bahamut Lagoon. As a SF fan, I wasn't impressed by FFT. That was another 50 bucks out of my pocket.

I was one of the people buying rpgs and playing through them, and making sure I checked every rpg box before I sent that request back into working designs to have them release another rpg. A 16 yr old kid doesn't seem like the person to do that back in the day. I am not saying that every 16 yr old kid doesn't know what he/she is talking about nor am I saying that they can't ever be qualified for the job. All I am saying is, I personally am trying to let you know, that I as a reader of this site for many years, have trouble with reviews as to which games are good to great. If not for the forums and help of the cable modem, I would just accept that readers point and get the game.

It's not cool to me to have a younger kid who may have played 1 rpg or 100 submit a news article for me to buy a game. It's not like everyone in this world is made of money... I am just looking to make sure that you're not going to screw people out of money like I was when I was younger. The best rpgs cost the least, and the big names always dreaded over the reprocussions of everyone playing them.

I enjoyed FF7 immensely particularly the graphics. I was really saddened by Tactics, and 8. To me as a gamer 8 was a let down and the reviews from this site, the movie clips from this site, and just some other things from this site *particularly* made me go out and buy the next eddition hating every moment of it. I was quiet about it before, but I am letting you know now a few years later, this site has let me down big time with some information. Another game that this site also praised back in the day, chocobo's dungeon and Torneko... Both failed miserably. Then of course I never read anything about suikoden and look how that game was... Look back into your history before you changed this site into what it is today. To allow people the priviledge of being hired by you to tell us *the gamers old and new* is a really big responsibility. I would never talk trash because someone enjoyed a rpg, but I get mad when the rpg lacks things where others think it soared. Most of the time that is due to inexperience with rpgs and playing enough of them. Old and new alike, seem to have problems with graphics in telling how good a rpg really is...
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am not saying a person can't develop the personality of an old school gamer, nor am I trying to say that old school games are a necessity when writing every review of a new game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think what Rage was saying is the new guy will not be wrighting previews/reveiws, he will be giving news updates. And you don't need to be a history buff to report the news.

I consiter myself to be an "Old Skool" RPG Gamer, I have played almost all for each system. But even though I am well versed in RPGs doesn't mean I would be very good at reviewing them, due to my poor writing skills.
    Him being 16 has nothing to do with anything, because regardless of age, he was still picked over how many other aplicants there were. Which obviously means he has potential.
    edited October 2003
    Thank you, Happy Hobo, for the the understanding and the backup.

Meanwhile, it has become obvious that our friend squonk has no idea what we're hiring for. ?We're hiring a News Writer. ?The main function of a news writer is to deliver NEWS-- in this case, about RPGs. ?News does not come with any attached opinion or recommendation, so the statement you make here:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's not cool to me to have a younger kid who may have played 1 rpg or 100 submit a news article for me to buy a game. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ...is way off. ?News articles simply tell people what's going on; they do not advertise or recommend games. ?Us telling you what a company says is going to be in its next title is not the same as us saying "This is gonna be superfun, and I like this game already." ?

Now that I'm in the proper mood, let's have some more fun with this...
    Well, I'm not going to speak of those Tactical RPG paragraphs, because they really don't go anywhere, but let's look at this...you said:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am not saying that every 16 yr old kid doesn't know what he/she is talking about nor am I saying that they can't ever be qualified for the job.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    right AFTER you said:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A 16 year old kid who doesn't live in Japan, has no conception of how good rpgs are. ?...If one's credibility seems appropriate for the job, he is going to write reviews for new games without experiencing the old. ?With that said, it can be a total copyright of an old game, old battle system, etc... ?This moron would think that it is groundbreaking or astonishing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So which is it? ?First, you say that a non-Japanese 16-year-old has no concept of how good an RPG really is, calling him a moron in the process, THEN you turn around and claim that you weren't saying he is not qualified. ?These statements contradict each other. ?

Another thing that jumped out at me was this:
    In your next post, you said this:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I enjoyed FF7 immensely ?particularly the graphics. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ...So you can't imagine ANYONE who likes FF7 liking half the RPGs you enjoy, and yet you "enjoyed FF7 immensly"? ?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"To me as a gamer 8 was a let down and the reviews from this site, the movie clips from this site, and just some other things from this site *particularly* made me go out and buy the next eddition hating every moment of it. ?I was quiet about it before, but I am letting you know now a few years later, this site has let me down big time with some information. ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So our posting of movie clips is to blame for your purchasing/not liking of FF8? ?A movie clip is not a review, bud. ?You look at that and get excited on your own. ?In addition, a review is simply someone's opinion. ?If you read it, buy the game in question, and disagree with the reviewer's score, that's not the reviewer's fault. ?Also, it's not like there aren't a million BAD reviews of FF8 out there. ?In fact, in terms of average review score, it's among the lowest-ranking FF games here at RPGamer, with a 6.8/10. ?To place your faith and your $50 in the words of a couple of reviewers is a dangerous move, and being bitten by that is no one's fault but your own. ?

Anyway, this is getting downright silly, since we're not even hiring a reviewer. ?So with this, I mke an end of my speaking.
  • TadrithTadrith Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    squonk (skwonk), v.:

? ? 1. To proclaim loudly and annoyingly one's ignorance without being aware one is doing so.

? ? Example: "Close your mouth and quit squonking, you're making a fool of yourself."
  • RemixRunixLPRemixRunixLP New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I think the biggest problem in squonk's thinking is the assumption that a NextGen players isn't going to find anything interesting in the past "true blood" RPGs. I can speak from experience seeing as I am 18.

My first ever "RPG" was Super Mario: Legend of the Seven Stars. From there i went out and purchased Final Fantasy 7 (i was late in buying the new consoles) and Final Fantasy 8. Curiousity led me to wonder what the other 6 games were like. So in the past 6 or so years I've bought every single one of them as they were re-released for the PSX. Yes, I know they've been altered, but in their true essence they are still much the same games they were in the past. And to tell the truth, initially i was turned off the the lack of amazing graphics, CGIs, and overblown character designs. But in the end the storyline and gameplay kept my interest, as i was instantly mesmerized by where the Final Fantasy series started and how it evolved.

From the FF series i've moved on. I went out and tried some of the super old games of Dragon Warrior Series. And again found what it was the kept RPGamers of the OldGen playing...plot and gameplay (customization, battles, puzzles etc). I realized that yes modern games have somewhat lost a lot in the gameplay category, especially as far as difficulty is concerned. However, the same two driving forces are still behing RPGs today, even though they may be shroud in a heap of graphics. One cannot simply say that NextGen gamers have no clue what the past was like, for, altough they merely play the evolved version, the true essence of RPGs is still there, and it'll still be there when we're all the crabby old timers and RPGs go virtual reality.
  • DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    ..My first RPG was also Super Mario: Legend Of The Seven Stars.

I guess that blows your "I guess 16 year old's can't do a good job at writing the news on gaming because they played FF7 first" theory. Not to mention your argument kind of..made you a hypocrite..

But, whatever. That's done; anyway, hopefully, two years from now, their might be another job opening, and I'll gladly jump on it.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'd just like to give the backup on the entire idea that news does not denote all-inclusive knowledge of the subject. I've been in a few news situations, the point of a reporter is not to know but to find out. As such, having someone who knows about 5,000,000 games can have fallbacks, just as someone who knows nothing could. However, in news it has no bearing and the point is void, because knowledge of games goes not to if someone can report, but if someone could report an old game.

So, basically put, expectations of knowledge of multiple games has no bearing in news. Just as knowledge of politics has no bearing when speaking of grass.