If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Uncle Cid Wants You!

2»

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Squonk:

I just want to know... why the hell did you rebreach a topic that the mods here already closed and answered you on? ?Are ye deliberately trolling here? ?Ye've gotten answers from now many of the moderators here and a fair deal of just the random forum goers. ?All of them going: "You=Bat#### insane" and indicating that not only aren't you paying attention to what they are hiring for but criticizing them on bad logical grounds. ?I have to admit, the folks here seem to be pretty darn tolerant of the amount of insults you've flung their way in your 'campaign' against the 'vile sixteen year old worker', alongside just hopping right over a moderator's 'this discussion is closed' message to continue it. ?You really expect any of them to listen or care what you have to say when you are raving like that? ?If you thought you were trying to 'help' RPGamer, why not send a single well thought out missive to one of the administrative staff or, in this case, the head of news (who, if I read correctly, is probably in charge of the hiring).

Dracos

• SerisSeris New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Contrary to what some might think, ignorance is not bliss.

Squonk, I'm amazed that you can be so blind. You act as though you have an immense knowledge of all RPGs out there that no one younger than you could possibly have. You compare games that have nothing to do with each other besides being labeled as the same genre (Shining Force is not even close to FFT, sure it's a strategy RPG, but the systems used in both aren't even remotely the same). You say one thing and then say the complete opposite. You completely ignore details (Such as the hiring for news writer thing). And that's just some of the things wrong with your posts.

I'm 17, which mean I'd only have a mere year over the 16 year olds you speak of. I started mainly playing RPGs with the SNES, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, those were some of my first. FF7 was a bit overrated in my opinion, though not a horrible game in itself, but overrated, and also not even close to one of the first RPGs I played (I'm guessing somewhere near 30th).

Ugh, I just looked through your post again and I'm going to end this now...that and it seems as though this topic is supposed to die out, so I shouldn't contribute any more to the fire.
  • Nathan RahlNathan Rahl New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    K guys.... I am new hi.

Anyway....

I think that what squonk(spelling?) is trying to say is that older, more experienced gamers are just a better fit for the job than a 16 year old kid. I for one think he is completely correct just for the fact that as soon as he wrote his piece, every 16 year old kid or person who knows a 16 year old kid starts flaming him to the seeming parallel of a "nuh uh! uh huh!" argument.

Most of the staff members of this site, as far as I can tell from the Bio's, are over the age of 18, which more than likely means that they are in college and have a bit of an edge academically. Though I know there are some exceptional variables that may put one person of a lower age ahead of another (genius), I believe on average the college people (age 18+) are going to show more maturity and objectivity in their writing.

I am a 22 year old senior in college at present, on my way to law school. Gaming has been a great hobby of mine since 1986. I have played over 100 RPG's in my life and beaten around 50 of them. Though I am not saying that it is impossible for a kid born after that year to know more about gaming, and more specifically RPG gaming, than I do; I am saying that it is highly improbable.

Even when writing news stories the author will add some of their personality to the mix. Having a higher base gaming knowledge as well as an appreciation of where gaming originated is always an advantage to journalists writing in this industry. Combine that with the added education and, hopefully maturity, that an older person (20+) possesses just makes the idea of hiring a younger person not as attractive. Again, there are a few exceptions (i.e. exceptional writing ability, I.Q. of over 145... etc.)

If you are a 16 year old kid and take offense to this...flame away...but in doing so you will only demonstrate why you are not qualified for this job.
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think that what squonk(spelling?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am a 22 year old senior in college at present, on my way to law school.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Is it really so much to ask that a future lawyer do so much research as to scroll to the top of the page and confirm the spelling of his name?

And to counteract the previous post, if you feel like discussing the merits of the age requirement, feel free to do so. I don't see any particular reason to strangle a healthy subject. All I ask is that you try to do so without insulting squonk, as that's against board policy.

As to how I feel about it, as long as a 16 year old can write well and is interested in RPGs (and fits several other, more subtle categories), he or she is right for the job. Yes, knowing the history of a series can come in handy sometimes, but even if we hired only 25 year olds who started playing games on the Atari or before, that doesn't mean that everyone will be an expert on the history of everything. That's why we proof news stories before they go up, to catch the horrible historical errors as well as standard grammar mistakes (and anything else that might be wrong).
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited October 2003
    RPGamer selects people to interview based on their skills, and from those, they select those that work out the best for the group. If someone at 16 has the intellectual and social graces of mature writer, then great.

The only thing that matters regarding age is under 16, because of US labor laws. Whether someone is 16 or 35 doesn't matter beyond that distinction. We have had 16 year old news writers before, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't tell by their writing. :>
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • RageRage Transcends lowly masses Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well nevermind then! Let's just ALL get crazy with it, even though it has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread!
  • Nathan RahlNathan Rahl New Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Oct. 18 2003,10:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Is it really so much to ask that a future lawyer do so much research as to scroll to the top of the page and confirm the spelling of his name?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was reasonably sure I spelled the name correctly (which I did btw), but put that "disclaimer" just as a safety. I didn't have much time to type that response today as I had other things to attend to. The exact spelling of his name was irrelevant to my response anyway. Rest assured when dealing with Law and/or anything else that is important, my research is quite proficient.

<3 biggrin.gif
  • valetine_4_evervaletine_4_ever Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm too young sad.gif. Well in 3 years time, I'll be able.

*Note to self: Play more rpgs*

Also I'm not a good writer. I have 3 years to work on it ! ^^

• Henshin_HeathHenshin_Heath Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    hello, im new to this site, but i like it alot....but i was wondering if you don't get paid for working for Rpgamer then can you get fired? just wondering
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" i was wondering if you don't get paid for working for Rpgamer then can you get fired? just wondering[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes. Yes you can.
    There are a variety of reasons for which one can get fired, such as parking in FireMyst's spot, attempting to sell the Staff Cactus on Ebay, billing RPGamer for your calls to 1-900-hot-chik, praising the game Eternal Eyes, just to name a few.
    More seriously, the most common reason people are relieved of their duties would be because of simply not doing anything for long periods of time. There's no sense in carrying all that dead weight around, is there?

Heh, nice screen name, by the way wink.gif
    edited October 2003
    you guys have a cactus? sweet! is its name cactar? because that would be awsome

so you like my name huh? thats cool, Heath is my real name but i just stuck Henshin if front just to look cool
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    The cactus not only is named "Cactaur" but was carefully raised to resemble a cactaur as well. It took years of work, and despite my best efforts, I was unable to take it with me upon retirement from the world of video game media.

In other words, if the cactus is harmed, so are you.
    edited October 2003
    I wish I owned a catcus and it knew how to do "10,000" neddles, then it could defend my home from robbers
    edited October 2003
    Well, for that I own a gun and it knows how to do "10,000 Rounds."

...But, um, anyway, yeah, like Stom said--firings and bodily harm can come as results of someone's abuse of the cactus.
    edited October 2003
    Is Uncle Cid's real name Uncle Sam?

on the cactus note: can the cactus walk?
  • rdvdolsonrdvdolson Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'd love to be a newsie. Time to fill out the application.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Henshin_Heath @ Oct. 19 2003,15:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"hello, im new to this site, but i like it alot....but i was wondering if you don't get paid for working for Rpgamer then can you get fired? just wondering[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Common sense my friend. Common sense.
    edited October 2003
    Common sense? what's that?
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Henshin_Heath @ Oct. 20 2003,03:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Common sense? what's that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Apparently something we both lack.
    edited October 2003
    how come you lack common sense? i thought i was the only one of my kind
  • Mr.PopoMr.Popo Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Hello everybody this is my first post. ?Feel free to not pay attention to any posts I make since it wouldn't be the first time I've been ignored.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"how come you lack common sense? i thought i was the only one of my kind[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You are not the only one of your kind I have been called the stupidest smart kid ever. ?Meaning I get all A's and have absolutely no common sense.
    (Maybe all this cold North Dakota weather damaged my brain as a small child)
    edited October 2003
    hmmmmm.....i could get A's in school, but i really don't care THAT much about school....so i stick with the B's and C's