If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden IV

prescitedprescited MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Role Playing Games
PSM magazine had the first look of SUIKODEN IV, they said the game is taking a different visual approach from Suikoden III.

I myself am a huge Suikoden fan all the way back to Genso Suikoden from PS1. Even though alot of people thought Suikoden III was a disapointment.

Anyone eles a fan of the Suikoden Series as I am ?

If you are interested to find out the entire history of Suikoden, it can be found here

Comments

• HibikiHibiki Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    sorry to burst your bubbles here buddy, but i never really gotten in to the Suikoden series. I have tried out Suikoden and Suikoden II but in none of them played more than 3 hours, it just got too boring. I can say one thing dough, I know Suikoden was one of the first RPGs released on the PS1 along with Wild Arms....... now that is one heck of a series i love! Ohhh the classics biggrin.gif
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Suikoden I was great, but if you couldn't tell Suikoden II is my fav. I liked Suiko III but true I was dissappointed with the music and most of all the castle.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I never played Suikoden 1, but II was friggin great. Suikoden III disappointed me all around. Sure, it wasn't a bad game all around, but running back and forth to Zenay del Zexay is just plain monotonous.

Plus, the graphics just made me want to turn it off. Suikoden IV better be more colorful.
    edited October 2003
    Im not a fan of the pathway system. I like the good old world map please. Yes, I wanted to shoot myself walking from city to city. At least with Chris you get a horse.
  • prescitedprescited Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Oct. 21 2003,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im not a fan of the pathway system. I like the good old world map please. Yes, I wanted to shoot myself walking from city to city. At least with Chris you get a horse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes the world map was great, yet even better in 3D. Do you have any info on the new system for Suikoden IV ?
    edited October 2003
    Heh apparently Im not a bad guy read this http://www.suikosource.com/weblog....ght.php
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Oct. 21 2003,17:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Heh apparently Im not a bad guy read this http://www.suikosource.com/weblog....ght.php[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thank you.
    edited October 2003
    I figured instead of starting another topic, I would post in here..

My question is how will we know what games will be able to be saved onto the harddrive ?
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    LOVE the Suikoden series, the 4th games is one of the few future releases I KNOW I'll get.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aragorn @ Oct. 21 2003,18:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"LOVE the Suikoden series, the 4th games is one of the few future releases I KNOW I'll get.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Im glad others love the series as much as I do. smile.gif
  • Daemonic_AngelDaemonic_Angel Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Luca Blight @ Oct. 21 2003,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im not a fan of the pathway system. I like the good old world map please. Yes, I wanted to shoot myself walking from city to city. At least with Chris you get a horse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would rather have no world map (like FFX) than have the Suikoden3 World Map
  • Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    I'm a huge Gensou Suikoden 3 fan! That game is so friggin' awesome. I loved the storyline and the character design is beautiful. There are so many cool characters in that game, I cannot say I have a favourite. (Actually, Hugo, Fred, Percival, Jacques, and Nash are probably on top of the list.) The graphics are cool too!
    I've never played Suikoden II. I am very interested in it, though. Unfortunately, I can never find it cheaper than $80 for some reason.
    About running from city to city...yes, that did take up some time, but at least I leveled up! I'm one of those few people where I actually like leveling up all the characters! *laughs* But it's so much better when the little girl Viki gives you the Blinking Mirror. *Thank God for that!*
    I'm very interested in Suikoden 4. I wonder how many years it takes after GenSuiIII.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jibrille Tenshi-sama @ Oct. 23 2003,11:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"?I've never played Suikoden II. I am very interested in it, though. Unfortunately, I can never find it cheaper than $80 for some reason.
    ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Try http://www.eBay.com or http://www.amazon.com
  • BobbyRobbyBobbyRobby Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    My most anticipated release unless they announce LUNAR 3.
    Suikoden II is probably my favorite. you can't beat the Flik & Viktor connection. I hear the guy doing the character design for Suikoden IV is the same guy who did it for the first.
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BobbyRobby @ Oct. 23 2003,13:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I hear the guy doing the character design for Suikoden IV is the same guy who did it for the first.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Now from hearing that Suikoden IV will be even more promising.
  • weylunweylun Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Mmmm...I thought Suikoden III sucked. I know many game magazines gave it very good ratings but I just think the Battle system is too slow, the game is a bit too easy and the music isn't that good either....especially for Battle music...that sucks!!

The story and dialogue is pretty nice though. I only played through once..using the female character, forgot her name.

Jimmy
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (weylun @ Oct. 23 2003,15:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Mmmm...I thought Suikoden III sucked. ?I know many game magazines gave it very good ratings but I just think the Battle system is too slow, the game is a bit too easy and the music isn't that good either....especially for Battle music...that sucks!!

The story and dialogue is pretty nice though. ?I only played through once..using the female character, forgot her name.

Jimmy[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    III was a let down, I suggest playing Genso, and II.. To get to the potential of the game. But don't give up hope on IV, if IV is worse then Suikoden III then the 2D to 3D stereotype is true. sad.gif
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Well, it wouldn't have sucked if it didnt have 3 prologues that lasted 30 hours each, each in which you run back and forth to the same crappy Moo towns for no apparent reason.(And each town sucked badly). The only reason I played it was for the characters...I just wanted to see how each turned out after all the years(And also for Nash).
    edited October 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Oct. 23 2003,17:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, it wouldn't have sucked if it didnt have 3 prologues that lasted 30 hours each, each in which you run back and forth to the same crappy Moo towns for no apparent reason.(And each town sucked badly). The only reason I played it was for the characters...I just wanted to see how each turned out after all the years(And also for Nash).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The only thing I did not quite like was the humongo characters, and there stiff hair lol.
  • Jibrille Tenshi-samaJibrille Tenshi-sama Member Full Members
    edited October 2003
    Prescited - Yeah, I always look on E-bay and never find it below 80 friggin' dollars. Same with amazon.com...the cheapest there is $84. What a rip-off. I'd never pay more than $50 for a game. Is it because Konami doesn't make any more SuiII copies?
    ?Awwww guys, Suikoden III isn't as bad as you say! Shame on you! ?tounge.gif Oh yeah...I wonder why the Konami doesn't translate the Suikogaiden's into English. I'd like to know more about Nash, the big liar! (He is!) I've read the summaries on the Suikogaiden's, but I'd rather have the story-game myself (summaries don't do much justice for the actual dialouge). *Laughs* I was surprised that it said Nash was 22 in the Gaiden's...I though he was supposed to be 17 or 18. ?laugh.gif

• KeythKeyth Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I also love the Suikoden series. I'm a huge Viktor fan! I started with Suikoden but Suikoden II is definitely my fave in the series. Still, I love all three games. I admit Suiko III was flawed but I still love the game."<span class="spoiler">I loved how Luc played such a big role in III. Finally got to see why he was always so moody in I and II! </span>"
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    I liked Suikoden II best of the three, myself. I don't know what it was, but III's characters just didn't have that spark, and the story was sorta meh. Not to mention repitition city going through the first chapters with each character (I really didn't like Hugo, in particular). Suikoden I was too short, as well. Suikoden II just did things right.

Still, I hope that IV is good. Though, did they change artists or something? The portraits don't look as good as the ones for II and III, IMO.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Suikoden I and II were simply excellent, III i was very conflicted over because there were certain aspects I liked very much, some characters, story wasn't bad either. And aspects I didn't like, like the pair system and the trinity story, plus it knda take the mystery out of true runes when everybody starts getting them. But I've heard good things about Suikooden IV so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited November 2003
    I really want to know why Pesmerga wasn't in Suikoden 3. He is always after Yuber...in that 15 years did Yuber do him in?
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited November 2003
    You know, I was REALLY hoping for a game that primarily takes place in Harmonia, myself...(sorry, Konami, but SuikoGaiden does not count unless you plan on porting it over here! (pretty please?))

I suppose I shall have to wait, but that is not saying that I am not extremely excited about Suikoden IV. I just hope they move away from the "Pairing" battle system they had in III. That was the only problem that I had with the game.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    They better bring back Neclord too, or else there's gonna be hell to pay
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I really want to know why Pesmerga wasn't in Suikoden 3. He is always after Yuber...in that 15 years did Yuber do him in?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I missed Pes, that guy was a tank.

1 and 2 are a couple of the only RPGs I continue to play through again and again. ?One thing I always loved, fluid auto-battle. ?Press one button and everybody goes at once as long as they're not taking out the same guy. ?I know 3 was basically the same in this regard, but it just seemed faster before, made those annoying random battles just fly by. ?Ah well...

But yeah, 1 and 2 are gold. ?3 was good... but not great. ?Don't know if it was the sub-par music, the weak castle-building (outside Thomas's scenario, which I somehow found more enjoyable than most of the rest of the game), that the final bad guy was another whining philosophy major bent on giving god The Finger (Barbarossa = best final boss in the series), or that only Geddoe's and Duke's teams gelled with me, but something just felt... off, I guess.

Might've been the lack of a cooking mini-game, too. ?That thing was fun.

Don't get me wrong, though, I still like 3. ?Played through it, dug it as a whole; the skills rocked, the duels rocked, respawning mini-bosses and treasure was a nice touch, getting to pound on Yuber again and again rocked (I want that hat!) and I actually think they handled the transition to 3D well, as far as graphics were concerned. ?I'm definitely looking forward to 4.

EDIT: Pairings! I forgot about the battle pairings! Bad, bad idea; Konami, seriously, that wasn't funny. I have six guys, I want six commands *nod nod*

• iamantitypeiamantitype Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I love this series, 1-3, and I can't wait for IV and anything that comes after. I started playing these a year after the originel Genso Suikoden was released in the US for PS1 (I happened to borrow the game from a friend who hated RPG's) and I instantly fell in love. I'll admit that the third installment had it's drawbacks (you all already pointed them out) but it was still a great transition to a new system.

I think that if this series keeps going as strong as it has been, it will eventually be much better than the final fantasy series.
    I know that might sound sort of blasphemous for most rpgamers...but look at it this way...
    Fans of Final Fantasy can usually agree that their games are either hit or miss: you like some, you don't like others. Personally, I love FF1, FF4, FF6, FF7, and FF9 (as far as the numbered games go) but I really despise the others in the series, especially 10, and an online final fantasy is definitely not worthy of a number, so I don't even consider 11 to be a part of that series. (they didn't call Tactics 8, why are they calling Final Fantasy Online FF11? who knows.) So anyway...back to my point...
    FF Games are hit or miss...but so far, all three Suikoden games have been close to masterpieces, and if they keep up the good work and don't take away what people love about them, they could just continue to put out great games without any "misses" so to speak and eventually blow away the competition that is Square-Enix and Final Fantasy (although FF has made such a name for itself, they could slap the title on a monkey ball game and still sell really well)
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    The whole Wild Arms thing sucked because the game just repeated it self over and over. The Suikoden series was alot better than the
  • Options
    edited November 2003
    The whole Wild Arms thing sucked because the game just repeated it self over and over. I think the Suikoden series was alot better than the Wild Arms series.
This discussion has been closed.